Menu

What do you think of this? (common core related)

Purpose of Social Studies

Social Studies is the integrated study of the social sciences and humanities intended to promote civic

competence. Within the school program, Social Studies provides coordinated, systematic study drawing

upon such disciplines as anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, law, philosophy,

political science, psychology, religion, belief systems, and sociology, as well as appropriate content from

the humanities, mathematics, and natural sciences. The primary purpose of Social Studies is to help young

people develop the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a

culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world (adapted from the National Council for

the Social Studies [NCSS] definition of Social Studies).

From this article.

"Social Studies provides coordinated, systematic study drawing upon such disciplines as anthropology, archaeology, economics, geography, history, law, philosophy,

political science, psychology, religion, belief systems, and sociology, as well as appropriate content from the humanities, mathematics, and natural sciences."

The quoted would have sufficed.

I don't disagree per se, but I think Common Core's vagueness about content subjects will mean they will continue to be largely ignored, at least at the primary level.

And, as I've said before, CC has good things about it, but it's more about selling more textbooks and testing materials than helping kids and schools.

Well, that is what social studies is. The problem that I have with it is that it is so broad such as to allow you to study just about anything and say you have covered social studies. I would disagree that a random or cursory study of the list of topics in this definition would not develop a student into anyone's definition of a "good citizen." I also do not think that all of those sub-topics contribute equally to good citizenship.

It seems to me that people who mix all of those subjects together as one as really just trying to instill their worldview in other people. They choose to teach only the certain parts from the various subjects listed which will convince students of their viewpoint.

I prefer to study some of those subjects individually because I think we can learn them more systematically and objectively. For my currculum, I include history, geography, civics/government, economics, and our state study as separate subjects. While learning these specific subjects, we can discuss various political or religious opinions which pertain to them. However, I do not mix in religion, belief systems, psychology, philosophy, or sociology from the outset..