Menu

The Passage by Justin Cronin (spoilers)

Chocolate Rose

The Passage was a book that was recommended in the 52 Books thread several times. I finally bought and read it. I finished it last night - and I can't believe that it ended that way. Did I miss something? They just didn't make it?? I really loved it up until the last paragraph. Can anyone explain?

Also, has anyone read the 2nd book, The Twelve?

It ended like that because it is part of a trilogy. I really don't like it when authors do that. It seems forced to me. The book was enjoyable, and I would have bought the rest of the trilogy without the cheap, sucker-punch at the end. I think the only kind of ending I like less is when everybody flies off in a helicopter at the end with nothing really resolved so that it seems like the author justgot tired of the story or ran out of time so he wrapped it all up and flew the remaining characters away.

The Passage was a book that was recommended in the 52 Books thread several times. I finally bought and read it. I finished it last night - and I can't believe that it ended that way. Did I miss something? They just didn't make it?? I really loved it up until the last paragraph. Can anyone explain?

Also, has anyone read the 2nd book, The Twelve?

The Twelve is in the pile at the end of my bed. I just got it from the library on Mon.

(Am I the only one who stacks books in the bed? They are so easily accessible!)

I was disappointed in the ending. I'm hoping it is a misdirect, KWIM?

It ended like that because it is part of a trilogy. I really don't like it when authors do that. It seems forced to me. The book was enjoyable, and I would have bought the rest of the trilogy without the cheap, sucker-punch at the end. I think the only kind of ending I like less is when everybody flies off in a helicopter at the end with nothing really resolved so that it seems like the author justgot tired of the story or ran out of time so he wrapped it all up and flew the remaining characters away.

I was less upset because my library Kindle version "ended" with an ad for the next book. I figured the primary "problem" was figured out (the need to kill the original 12) and that the next book would focus on that. I struggled more with the middle part - seems he could have gotten that part of the story covered in a couple hundred fewer pages.

I think it's supposed to be covered in the sequel. I didn't realize it was out already. Off to get on the list at the library.

I was angry for days after that ending! :)

And I wished I could "unread" that last paragraph, too.

Oh, good, at least I'm not alone and didn't miss something crucial.

It was like a slam, bam, thank you mam, ending (sorry). I wish I would have known going in that there was a second book. I don't think I would have been quite so disappointed.

That's exactly what I thought - the author ran out of steam and just wrapped it all up. That's why I was so disappointed.

Is the 3rd book out? Have you read the 2nd and 3rd?

I was less upset because my library Kindle version "ended" with an ad for the next book. I figured the primary "problem" was figured out (the need to kill the original 12) and that the next book would focus on that. I struggled more with the middle part - seems he could have gotten that part of the story covered in a couple hundred fewer pages.

My book also ended with an "ad" for the next book. That's how I knew there was another book. But, I didn't want to read that little bit. I want to wait until I actually get the whole book.

I've made the mistake of reading the first chapter of a sequel to a book that is included in the first book and then picked up the next book in the series and thought I'd already read the whole thing because I remembered the first part. So, now, I never read the little bit of the next book that they include at the end of the book.

Wow, that was twisty. Hope it makes sense.

That's exactly what I thought - the author ran out of steam and just wrapped it all up. That's why I was so disappointed.

Is the 3rd book out? Have you read the 2nd and 3rd?

I haven't read them yet. I was miffed about the ending when I finshed The Passage. I have a long list of other books to read before I will consider those.