Menu

any tips on downsizing craft supplies?

macmacmoo

Once upon a time, before the kids, I was very crafty. I cross stitch, embroidered, sewed (quilting, garments, and random), knitted, origami, scrapbooking, card making, etc. I had a motto at one point of "If Joans sells it, I've tried it."

We've 4 moves (with one more before the year is up) since we've been married each time I convince myself to get rid of maybe a shoebox worth of stuff. I can't bear to part with anything. However with small children, I've lacked time to be creative. Most of the projects I've made recently involved a new genre of crafting and thus new supplies were purchased. It was handy having a stash of stuff, since we live two hours from any craft stores. If I realized I forgot something mid-project I can normally find a half way decent alternative in my stash.

I need measurable limits, but i haven't the heart to set them.

Obviously I'm keeping the big ticket items like sewing machine and sergers. But where do I draw the line on price to replace vs storing it? For instance I at least one skein (if not more) of every single color of DMC embroidery floss. At 40 cents a skein it's easy to replace, but with over 400 it's hard to stomach.

and then there is the fabric. gulp.

Any suggestions or tips would be awesome. :D

Hmmm send some to all of us crafters on the board? I like yarn and some fabric :) mainly yarn, crocheting agrees with me, still working on the hand sewing skills. Sewing machines and I don't like each other. As far as the floss, do you have them in a plastic tray/container? I would probably keep some of the stuff that might be used in new projects but it must fit in a container or two. Using space saver bags to get more in :)

I found that as my kids grew, we worked through much of my stash. If you shop your stash before you shop Joanns, it helps. Why not go through and pull things that would work for your kids at the age they are now, and keep them available to them. For example, make a "collage box' of bits of fabric, yarn, embroidery thread, buttons, etc, and then let the kiddos do what they will with it.

I was forced to get rid of a major portion of my stash. The things that haven't been missed so much are non quilting fabrics--they honestly are project specific and most of my art supplies. Dd does draw and paint with great skill but my old stuff was simply not the quality that she likes. I am glad that I can just buy what she wants without the urge to convince her that my old stuff will work. Also most of my patterns went for sewing--I had spent many Saturdays buying sale patterns which I had never used.

Awhile back, although less than a year, dh and I decided to sell everything, move onto a sailboat, and cruise the world.

In the glory of the moment, I made the decision that ALL craft supplies were available to my children. No request to use something would be denied with a "I might need to use that" or "That is my special..." or "That cost way too much to use it for ..." It all had to go, and we'd either enjoy the stuff or be throwing/giving it away in a year anyway.

Now, with a little time and many discussions, our full-time sailing timeline has been pushed out 10-15 years. But I have not regretted the free range I've given the kids. Stuff I bought when my teens were tots is being enjoyed. And I'm trying not to buy anything new (adhesives being the exception...and I bought some metallic paints).

If you're actually using the stuff (or plan to), and it is neatly stored, then it IS hard to get rid of. Actually mine was neither (except the "plan to" part) and it was impossible to get rid of. But I would have felt better if it had been neatly organized. :)

The floss is fairly small -- it isn't taking up much storage space. Your kids will someday be making friendship bracelets and little pipe cleaner dolls out of it.

Really, I'd look at the other stuff and see how much space it's taking up vs. how likely it is that you'll use it. And you ARE going to use it for your kids' projects, right?

I used a bunch of random fabric working through SOTW 1 and 2 projects with the kids -- we made Egyptian clothing out of some linen I had, ripped up cotton to make the chicken mummy, made other clothing for other historical groups with ricrac and trims. They played, had fun, then we eventually threw the costumes out. Yarn has been used in lieu of string in umpteen projects, not to mention string games (the ones where you tie a loop of yarn around your hands and manipulate it to make different shapes. We made yarn octupi and dolls with no regrets that they came out wonky -- the yarn was free-from-stash, so what else were we going to do with it?

And as they got older, I've taught groups my kids are in to crochet, knit, and sew, mostly just grabbing stuff from stash.

The important thing is that your stash is NOT SACRED. Use it! Enjoy it! Let the kids enjoy it!

I gave myself a rule that I was not allowed to purchase anything new until the old was used up. I have piles of fabric, three bins of yarn, embroidery supplies, a spinning wheel and fleece, 2 sewing machines, 2 sergers, paint supplies, jewelry making supplies, crochet hooks coming out of my ears, knitting needles, project books, patterns...aaarrrhhhh! It has multiplied in my sleep!

While I have not purchased anything new, I have not been using things up as quickly as I would like. I donated a lot of little things I knew I would never use, including fabric i didn't rally like anymore, cut my supply of pattern books and sewing patterns in half and then halved them again. I have just decided to allow myself to do only three types of crafts until everything is gone. I can sew, make jewelry, and crochet. All other supplies are available to use by the kiddos for their projects, too, or they will get donated.

Figure out what you really love to do and allow yourself to keep a reasonable amount, one or two bins worth, and let the rest go. You will feel so much better and actually enjoy making use of what you do keep once the rest is gone.

Now that my schooling years are behind me and I have more free time, I find myself going thru my stash of fabrics and craft projectsand using quite a bit of it. However, . I have gone thru and donated those craft projects I am no longer interested in. Crosstitch is on that list. I kept the floss as I used it in making Christmas stockings. Fabric, go thru it and donate what you really don't think you might use for costumes or clothing in the future.

Maybe give yourself a one or two bin limit. What doesn't fit there, doesn't stay. I have gone thru patterns many many times and donated ones I really dind't get to or are outdated.

I used charitydeductions website (It's not free) to track my donations. You can get close to 10.00 or an unopened pattern! It helps to know your taxes will be reduced by those donations besides blessing a charity with those usable items.

I purged a lot of stuff years ago and want to get rid of more.

I sold most of my stamping stuff but kept the bare minimum b/c my dd loves to do it. but we never do it, so thinking to get rid of it as well and when she wants to do it, help buy the stuff. I just hate it taking up space in our only closet!

The sewing stuff keeps getting out of hand b/c I keep buying it. The quilt I started a year ago isn't done....and I bought fabric to make things but never did. I wish I didn't have a sewing machine so I could just say no to those projects I think I would like to do lol. But I did donate patterns and fabric to people. I need to sell the serger.....

My scrapbook stuff is still around. I have decided to finish at some point all pictures printed. I think I have a year and half to do. Then I will make a book online and have it printed for 2012 and on. Once I finish those older books I am selling it all!

I don't miss anything I sold or gave away.

embroidery-floss-tackle-box-sample-set-up1.jpg

I'd put the thread in this. I got one for Christmas and I love it!

Also, dig through your fabric and patterns and be brutal. I finally figured out that I like the same general style of dresses and I can easily alter many of the patterns that I do have to make just about anything I want. Also I really need to go through and cull many of the little girl/baby clothing patterns since my girls are all big (sniff, sniff) I will probably keep 2-3 of my favorites to sew for grandbabies, but I don't need all of them.

Also, 4H clubs do tons of sewing, crafts, etc. call your local agricultural extension agency to find out.