Menu

Algebra II for a Senior?

At some schools, yes.

But failing Precalculus because he hasn't gotten through Algebra II would hinder them a lot more.

Just meet him where he is, keep going at the rate he can understand. Worst-case scenario, he needs to take a year at a decent community college, show good grades, and transfer. My brother (homeschooled) started at the community college in Algebra I, took 2 years with excellent grades, and transferred to an Ivy League. Starting out low doesn't doom you to stay there.

If that is where he is it is just fine!

I see too many parents who try to rush their struggling math students through Pre-Calc by graduation... accepting C's or worse just for the sake of getting to a certain level.

If your son struggles at math he is most likely not going into a STEM field-- completing Algebra 2 by high school AND understanding it will prepare the way for any college maths. A very small percentages of colleges count Pre-Calc as high school-- for all practical purposes it is a college-level math (and often the only math necessary for the MAJORITY of college majors-- with some not even requiring that level!)

Even if your son struggles now-- he may just be a late bloomer-- one who can attend a community college if necessary then go on to be a rocket scientist-- I've seen it happen!

Do your best to make sure he understands what he is covering-- go for mastery-- not just a passing grade.

My oldest dd just graduate college with honors. She only completed Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 in high school-- taking 2 years for each! She WAS well grounded in basic Algebra and her college math class was a fairly easy A.

Say ds wanted to do dual enrollment his Junior/Senior years of HS, would this be possible since he struggles with math? His writing/vocab/language arts are great, btw.

It will depend on the school and his test scores, but my dd is currently dual enrolled at the local university for English and Latin classes and she still hasn't finished Algebra I. We are on our second year of it and still chugging along. :rolleyes:

It really depends on the school. Some of them require that the student score college level in ALL areas. Some of them just require college level in the desired area -- which would let him take humanities and social sciences courses to his heart's content. Your best bet is to check with local colleges.

I just want to encourage you to keep doing what you are doing. I have a nephew who went through ps on the college bound track. He finished Calculus as a senior, but never had above a C in any high school math class. He had similar results in Science where he took Earth Science, Biology, Chem & Physics. Combine that with mediocre test scores and colleges just weren't interested. He would have been far better off to slow down and do what he did well.

As long as her goal isn't a STEM major, she should be fine.

I will say that to get into local state U for early enrollment, they required composite scores of a certain level. I believe the CC does subject testing though, so it will depend on the school whether it hurts her or not for dual enrollment.

Be sure to check the requirements for your state university system. Here in NC, one math course beyond Algebra II is required to enroll in the state university system. Statistics would satisfy the requirement. Of course, the attending cc first and then transfering would be a great option, but taking Alg. II senior year may hinder his option to attend your state's university directly after high school.

Nancy

Thanks all! We will keep plugging along. I do plan on having him go through at least part of the summer on his math, just to get him a little further along.

He has about 10 weeks or so of school work left. We were using TT for math, but it really wasn't working for him, so we switched to CLE. When we left TT, he was at the beginning of TT7, when we did the placement test for CLE, he placed at the beginning of lightunit 500. Right now, he's on book 506. CLE is really good for him in that he really, really needs the review. He forgets so easily. Poor guy, I'm afraid he's inherited my bad math gene ;).

Listen to Jann - she knows her stuff.

One possibility is that he "grows into" his math ability. My dd had a math meltdown in 5th grade and we took a break from her regular math, I got those little "Key to" books and let her choose every day which one to tackle. By high school she was doing great in math.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know that my oldest is far from being a senior in HS, but he really struggles with math, so I thought I'd put this out there.

At the rate he's going (if nothing changes), he would be taking Algebra II for 12th grade. Is this really horrible? He has plans for college. Would this hinder those plans?

Yes, that is remedial at best. I would require year round math. He needs to do more IMHO.

I think precalc is the minimum for a college bound kid, unless you are talking conservatory or other arts.

For a science, math, or STEm major, I think calculus should be completed by senior year, even if it is an easier calculus class and the student repeats it in college. Stronger math students may be able to test out of some or all calculus, which would be ideal.

Thanks to both of you. Now, let me ask this question:

Say ds wanted to do dual enrollment his Junior/Senior years of HS, would this be possible since he struggles with math? His writing/vocab/language arts are great, btw.

Around here, the community college has math courses that go as low as the equivalent of 7th/8th grade math. They'll do a placement test- and if he scores at the lowest end of a class (completely making up numbers here- but say he needs 78 to get into a course and he gets a 78 or 79) consider backign up one level. Remember- a college class (at those lower levels) covers a year's equivalent in one semester- which can be as short as 12 weeks! So in his 11th & 12th grade years he can progress 4 levels- where he might only get through 2 at home with typical high school textbooks designed for 180-day school years.

Also- find out if your CC offeres free tutoring. Sign up for it!

I have a friend who teaches math at a major city university here. Kids who took (and passed) Calculus in high school routinely fail his class (sorry- I forget the course title, but passing calc should mean they can do his class easily.)The smart ones change to a lower level class after thr first test like he recommends. he sees too many kids who passed the classes but did not understand the material. He advised me to go at whatever pace needed for my girls to master/understand the material, and begin at community college- which was their plan anyway.