Menu

Who has read TWTM and what did you think?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the WTM back when my oldest was 5 and my youngest was 2. I loved it. Loved. it. And I began implementing it in K. I haven't looked back.

My oldest is now 10 and my youngest is 7. My oldest has always met or exceeded the standards I set, which were inspired and guided by TWTM. Have we followed it exactly? Of course not. We've adjusted the science, added more games to math, consider Comic Book Theory an important subject, and spend a good chunk of "history" time watching documentaries. Has it "worked" for us? I think it has, although what that means is hard to quantify. Do my kids like school? Yes. Do they work hard? Yes. Do I push them to reach farther than they think they are capable, whether that is in memorizing a long poem or trying a challenging math problem or learning Latin declensions? Yes. Do they love me for it all the time? Um, nope. But I know they are being exposed to amazing literature, learning how to write well, how to think logically, how to read challenging books and how to ask ask ask questions all the time. And I am proud of the boys they are growing into.

I attribute much of this to my first reading of the WTM, without which I wouldn't have had a clue.

Thanks to this thread, I am virtually dusting off my electronic copy and reviewing it. We afterschool, which is how I found TWTM and this forum in the first place. I am reminded that I really am my daughter's teacher, not "just" a tutor, for several important subjects and I need to reboot. TWTM will restart me. Do we follow it exactly? Nope. But it is a program I think we will grow into and that appeals to both of us. It is flexible enough for afterschooling, rigorous enough for DD's inquisitive mind, and organized enough for this INTJ mom.

Thanks to this thread, I am virtually dusting off my electronic copy and reviewing it. We afterschool, which is how I found TWTM and this forum in the first place. I am reminded that I really am my daughter's teacher, not "just" a tutor, for several important subjects and I need to reboot. TWTM will restart me. Do we follow it exactly? Nope. But it is a program I think we will grow into and that appeals to both of us. It is flexible enough for afterschooling, rigorous enough for DD's inquisitive mind, and organized enough for this INTJ mom.

Where did you get an electronic copy? I"ve looked on Amazon and it's not available as an e-book.

Where did you get an electronic copy? I"ve looked on Amazon and it's not available as an e-book.

Well for crying out loud. I have it on my Kindle from Amazon but just checked and see that it's no longer available for Kindle. Maybe that's a temporary thing? I've seen it happen before where a book will go off Kindle then come back.

I hope they don't notice me and take my copy away a la 1984. I would be very upset as it's my only copy here!

It was available on Kindle back in November, but it's not now for some reason. I don't know if anyone ever got an answer.

Ah, okay. I wanted to read the section on history and I figured it would be easier to have an electronic version rather than getting the whole book. We have 4 local libraries and no one has it. They have the SOTW but there is a long waiting list to get it.

I have read it and re-read it and will again. I cannot full on implement it. I've tried but it doesn't fully mesh with my kids and their various learning issues and I'm not a good enough teacher to modify it enough to make it work for them. But we do use parts of it and it's a very valuable reference.

• 1 month later...