Menu

Android phones

moonlight

I want to buy my son who is turning 10 an android phone. He has saved money for months and I will put some money in. What is a good quality phone with the android function? I prefer that it not be too expensive. Are HTC and Samsung the only companies that make them?

I am pretty phone illiterate so please help me out! Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

When you say "android function" do you mean a smart phone?

You can probably get a smart phone for free with a new contract. We have two smart phone droides with Verizon and both have a $30 data fee, so I pay $170 a month just for those two phones. My son's phone is only $10 a month since it only texts, takes photos, and makes calls.

If I was in the market for a Smart phone, I would look for an Android made by Samsung. Samsung and Apple (iPhone) own the Smart phone segment.

I have a lot of respect for Samsung (the $ they put into R&D and the quality/reliability of their products). Also, a few years ago, I called the national service number for Samsung here in Colombia and the technician they sent to our house was the best TV technician I have ever seen in my life. What he did, in our house, was astonishing. He took the TV apart, diagnosed the problems on the main circuit board, left with that, on his motorcycle, and then returned a few days later and put the TV back together. It worked, for several years, after his repair.

Our experience with LG products (very high end TV, very high end Home Theater, and one cell phone) has not been as good as our experiences with Samsung products. The LG cell phone was very problematic, from the beginning.

One nice thing about having a cell phone that you own, although it is more costly up front, is that if you lose it or drop it in the water, you are not stuck with a long term contract, for a phone you no longer have.

Some years back, at the end of a contract, my Sony Ericsson Walkman phone went into the water. I was truly glad that it was very near the end of my contract and not at the beginning... Edit: Service tech of our former cell phone provider said the phone couldn't be fixed. I got it back from them and I fixed it, with Firmware I paid about $10 USD for, on the Internet. DD is using that phone now.

GL with your decision. I'm sure your DS will enjoy it.

If you live internationally, you should probably talk to a couple retailers in your area and shop around, I think. There are so many different types of phones and plans and different types of contracts for different locations.

That said, my Samsung Galaxy android phone is more than 2 years old and still working perfectly. If eventually I upgrade I'm going to get another Samsung.

Check out the Nexus 4. The price is reasonable without a contract, though availability is spotty. It's not the best of the best spec-wise, but it is a solid phone and support is good.

I have the LG Optimus slider and love it! It is my phone, calendar, to-do list, school assignment schedule, financial planner, banking site, television (Netflix), communication device, and entertainment (games). I have Virgin Mobile, no contract, and it gives me 300 talk minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data for exactly $37.80 per month.

I just checked, and this phone is on sale at VM for $39.99. (Says they are out of stock, but I know they get them in all the time, so it's just a matter of time.) http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/android-phones/

Btw, my ds uses my phone all the time (and he has never made a call). He can't wait to get one of his own, but I told him he will have to get a job for that!

Oops, I just saw you don't live in the U.S. I am thinking an IPOD touch sounds like a good deal for him. My dd and I both have one and there are hundreds of thousands of apps available for it. It is not an android, but he wouldn't need one if all he wants is apps/games. I know you don't want to spend a lot, but there is also the Kindle Fire. Not sure if that is available where you are or not.