Menu

MBC Feb13 Last Child in the Woods

duckens

Welcome!

You found us!

This is the virgin voyage of our monthly book club! We voted on books to read, and the selection to discuss during February 2013 is Last Child in the Woods. Please feel free to drop in and join us if you have EVER read this book and have something valuable to add to the conversation.

First, some housekeeping:

1) Future books (according to the vote):

March 2013: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

April 2013: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

2) If you are not interested in reading specific a book, then skip that month. Our time is too valuable to be reading things we resent reading. Likewise, we welcome those who are only participate sporadically. The ideal is that many voices will result in a good discussion.

3) Keep in mind suggestions for future books clubs (if we can make it through the first few months). We'll take suggestions to vote in the last half of March. This will possibly occur on a separate thread.

4) Play nice. I don't want to get banned!

5) Our former voting thread is here. There are some relevant comments already from readers, so I recommend that you pop over there to scan them, or for the OP's to copy + paste or rewrite what they had to share here.

PSA: I have never run a "book club." I am not planning to start now, beyond the basic organization of voting and starting monthly threads. However:

--Please feel free to pm me if I miss something mechanical.

--Don't take it personally if I don't get right back to you. Sometimes life gets busy, and I am absent from the boards for a week or so at a time.

OakTreeManagerieMom asked:

Are we supposed to read our 100 pages a week before February starts or during the month of February?

Good question!

Answer (I should post IMHO, but instead I'll post "In my all-powerful role as thread-starter!"---the power has gone to my head!): IMAPRATS, Do what works for you. Do what will help you get the most out of this process.

I'm hoping to have the appropriate book read by the first of each month to get the most out of discussion....but I'm also planning to run late. (13 pages to go in Last Child!)

I have a few questions relating to this book.

1) How many parks are in your area?

We are in Iowa, and our town seems to manage parks pretty well. We have 34 parks (one is a dog park, and one surrounds the aquatic center) for ~50K people (half are students and leave in the summer).

I was STUNNED when Loverboy had a summer intern last summer from Maryland. The intern specifically commented on our parks, and how they didn't have that where he grew up. :w00t: It was one of those, "Oh, gee, everyone doesn't have a life just like mine!" kind of moments.

2) How is land used in your area?

Our town just put several large buildings in the flood plain. :glare: Deer, geese, hawks, and possum had lived there. Now they are gone.

Of course, it is just housing for the poor (section 8, who probably can't afford flood insurance or a flood disruption to their lives) and college students (who don't know they are living in a flood plain and time-wise cannot afford a flood disruption to their lives). FTR, we've had five "100-year floods" since 1975.

The next town over just declares the flood plain as "park" and builds elsewhere.

3) How much do you let your kids do crazy things in nature?

Me, not so much. I do let nature treasures into the house though.

I am spoiled because Loverboy takes the girls all over. They trespass into the field to the east of us, and visit the little pond there. They collect rocks, walk under the dam (it's a foot high, don't freak out), and walk on the frozen pond at the center of our trailer court. When frogs get trapped in the window well of the Community Center, Loverboy hauls his stepladder and a bucket a block up the road to rescue them. (One autumn, we rescued over 20!)

I just can't take credit for this. It is all Loverboy.

I have a few questions relating to this book.

I live in a rural area semi close to NYC. We have lots of parks and "open space." One of my favorite places near here is a wetland preserve with a boardwalk. It's fairly small so very manageable with small kids. But last year they did a "remediation" because it flooded during Hurricane (Storm) Irene. It was like a wasteland afterwards (because of the remediation, not the storm), just horrible. But now we are doing a photo documentation of the recovery.

We are also near the Appalachian Trail, so my dh takes my ds on many long hikes. He would absolutely love to hike the whole trail with my son when he's older. We take the dds on small mini hikes there too.

There is also a bike/walking trail near that follows an old railroad bed. We bike through it through several towns. My dh and ds will take much longer rides.

My dh also loves the cold weather, so lots of sledding and snow showing.

My parents (an hour away) live on a private pond in the woods. There is also a smaller damed pond with beavers. The blueberry and raspberry picking is wonderful. We sing as we pick, because it is also a favorite spot for the bears.

My dh and I also own 15 acres of woods the next town over. We have many campfires. We give ds a walkie talkie and the kids explore the woods on their own. They know every nook and cranny. They even have a "school spot" where my ds teaches my dds. It is a shale shelf, so they break off pieces of shale and write on the smooth face like a chalk board.

My town (pop. 3500) is on the edge of the black dirt. It can only be used for farming. Buildings would have no support. A lot of the other area around is also farming, dairy, crops, etc. We have lots of farmer's markets and stands throughout the growing season. But we also maintain our own vegetable garden. The kids absolutely love working in the dirt with me.

We love being outside. My dh works outside, so literally he is only indoors for breakfast, dinner and sleep. In his free time, unless he has to do work in the house, he is outside.

My dh is a bit of a fanatic. But he was raised as the youngest of 12 in a cape cod style house. His mother was also a neat freak. No one was allowed inside except for meals and sleep. They were able to watch 1 hour of tv on Sunday. Literally, she'd put the current baby in the carriage outside. The carriage would stay on the porch if it was raining. She was busy inside cleaning, washing, ironing, and cooking for 14. Starting as babies they were raised to be "independent."

OK. I think I gave way too much information. :tongue_smilie:

But as for the book. I only read part way through. I felt like he was preaching to the choir. I don't need any convincing. I need to skip ahead to see if there is anything of more interest.

We have parks in our city, but since my children are grown, I haven't kept up with current info. We didn't spend much time in the parks when my children were young, either.

I have read through Ch. 7 of the book, and have enjoyed it so far. It made me think of my childhood and my childrens' time growing up.

When I was young, all the kids played outside. It was rare to have anyone come inside to play. There was always at least one parent home when children were home.

There was only one house in our neighborhood that had air-conditioning, so windows were kept open; and moms and dads could hear everything going on, and keep an eye on the neighborhood kids. We spent a lot of time playing outside together, and most of us were skinny as beanpoles! :) It's something you rarely see anymore in neighborhoods.

When my children were growing up, we would spend time outdoors. If something was within a mile of our house (library, etc.), and was safe to walk to, we walked. (I didn't let them go alone - I was always with them.) We had friends over for them to play with, and they would play inside and outside. We spent little time on the computer. When we first got one, it was back in the day when you got the first 20 hours in your monthly plan on AOL, then had to pay extra. I remember always clocking my time, so I wouldn't go over that 20 hours!

I know things are so different now - even than they were 10 - 15 years ago. Even before starting the book, I had conciously started going outside more, and spending less time on the internet. I don't think it's just children that need to spend less time on smart phones, the computer, etc. Adults need to do the same thing.

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.

Ooh, I've read this book and loved it!! A lot of choir preaching for me, too, but it was a nice reminder. We are surrounded by wilderness here in Utah and we make the most of it!! I'll post more later on my Ipad, because it lets me paragraph. Unlike this :cursing: Windows 8.

Lots of parks and preserves in our region. There are at least 5 state parks, 10+ nature preserves, a nature center, an arboretum, the Appalachian Trail, the Long Path, the Heritage Trail, and innumerable town parks within a short drive of anyone in our county. The land use is mixed: primarily farmland, with woodlands, old meadows, housing developments, shopping areas, and industrial parks. I was raised in Maine and my kids are free range! The only downer here is the high incidence of Lyme Disease due to deer ticks. So after we go wild, we have to check the kids thoroughly. It is a serious disease.

Here is a link to my (and a friend's) old blog on our adventures. You have to go through the archives to read the best stuff. I haven't had time to post since I started homeschooling. http://naturestrollers.blogspot.com

Okay, New Question:

Have you noticed that the places we live are usually named after what we destroyed?

I live in "Creekside" neighborhood.

Next door is "Old Orchard."

Anyone else want to share neighborhoods in their town (not necessarily announcing their own on the internet).

Okay, New Question:

Anyone else want to share neighborhoods in their town (not necessarily announcing their own on the internet).

Thinking about towns/cities we've lived over the years, two neighborhoods I know of come to mind:

One neighborhood ended with the name, "Park" and one with "Woods."

When you mentioned "Creekside" and "Old Orchard," those are names I think of for streets, also.

I loved this book. I haven't finished it yet but I have found myself highlighting, bookmarking, nodding, agreeing, a lot. I have a very similar philosophy. I

There are about 5 in about a 30 minute drive to include the beach. If you drive another 30 minutes there are mountainous regions with snow and hiking.

No idea really. We live in Japan and it seems that the Japanese really enjoy natural beauty and that is nice but they prefer, or so it seems, that the natural things just be observed not so much played on or with. I think it's more for observation. There are small plots of land for "back yards" however, when you go out from the city there is a lot of farming in Japan. It is a good mix of city and country I suppose or so it seems.

I do....I want them to have the experience of climbing a tree or going up the side of a mountain without a trail....I like it. I once had an experience where my son was climbing a tree and a woman (who apparently didn't know I was his mother) started telling him to get down and that it was dangerous. She started asking, "where is his mother, whose child is this?" and I turned and told her I was and she told me he was climbing the tree and I said, "I know and I am fine with that." She replied... "well... okay." I laughed later. Heaven forbid that a boy climb a tree at a CHILDREN'S OUTDOOR GATHERING!

Anyways, I try to be cautious and teach my children that it is okay to have fun and be adventurous you should still practice prudence and wisdom. Calculate the costs, weigh the risks. My son says he wants to be the next Man Vs. Wild. Ha.

Recently we went on a hike to see a castle that used to stand in the city which we live during the early years of Japan and we went UP an unmarked path and before we got to the top when we could stop hearing the water below and the cars on the bridge I asked that we just sit. Sit, listen, look, then we closed our eyes and just listened and felt the ground with hands. It was nice. We heard birds, the wind through the branches. After we chose which trees were our favorites and tried to find some plant life that we knew. It was nice. I enjoy experiences like this one. We also go to the same place in the Spring because it is CRAWLING with tadpoles and we collect a few and study the ones in the ponds and creek beds. I let my kids jump in and go with them and just tell them to be careful.

We have collected caterpillars in our garden and we watched them go through their changes and then set them free once that became butterflies or moths. It was so nice. We would wake up each morning and just stare at them...I loved it. We also try to garden and let the kids water, pick things, and even choose some of the veggies to go in the garden. I wish that we had more access to nature --- in an unplanned nature environment. I like the parks we have nearby but I do crave a place perhaps untouched. We also have to get in the car or bike about 15 minutes to the nearest area. So, it's just not the same in it being RIGHT outside.

Overall, the book so far as I have not completed it yet is a great reminder of the importance of nature in our children's lives. Even playing outside and making up games with friends. My son is outside making "battle plans" after his school day for his friends, they bike race, tag, hide and seek, climbing trees, and play soccer together, for HOURS. Like I did growing up, I love it. It's so nice to see. We try to incorporate nature study. I remind myself that it doesn't have to be perfect that I just want them to be exposed and understand that nature should be studied, appreciated, and treasured. :)

I am rambling now... :)

Okay, New Question:

Have you noticed that the places we live are usually named after what we destroyed?

I live in "Creekside" neighborhood.

It's true. Although, we haven't had this experience because we usually live on such a small base or in another country that we don't even have street names --- seriously. :)

Maybe people do it so they don't feel as guilty for building there, it makes them feel nostalgic perhaps.

Ooh I have this book! It's on my to be read pile. Perhaps I will pull it out now. I missed the original threads about this but totally on board for this month.

As for the questions

Not many. It's funny because we had more open green space in the city than we do here in this tiny rural town. There is 1 small area at the end of the street, and there is a stand of trees behind the school. We generally pack up the car and drive to the provincial park in the next town over, were we explore the trout pond, the river, the trees, etc.

Our town is surrounded by farms, that leaves very little for the actual town residents. It is farming all up and down teh highway form here.

What do you mean by crazy? Do they climb trees, and camp, and rescue injured animals, and pond dip and ice fish and a hundred other things? Yes they do. But those things don't seem crazy to me, they are normal imo

Many. We live in a city that makes intentional plans for open natural spaces, and builds bike and hiking paths to allow/encourage people to get out of doors. Newer parks for children even include "wild" spaces in their play plans. We have little neighborhood parks all over the city, a few larger parks, and even at the city center we are within 15 minutes of semi-rural and rural areas in most directions. We've got many large county parks just outside city limits too.

Farming and outdoor recreation outside city limits; within the city, housing and business, mostly, with parks around the city.

They can do whatever they want as long as it's not dangerous. As long as it's not ER dangerous, anyway. We are out of doors often, spring through early winter. Our rule is that you can't complain if you get wet or cold, or fuss over minor injuries.

Cat

I ordered this from Amazon last Monday and it looks like it is finally shipping tomorrow. :rolleyes: I'd been wanting to read this book, but I'm really bad about finding time to read (other than internet message boards). Hopefully this group will help...The books chosen were my top 3 picks.

We have quite a few parks in our area. We have a large state park on the edge of our town.

We actually have quite a bit...outdoor sports are very big here. Lots of hunting, fishing, trapping, snowmobiling, hiking, etc.

I am really bad about this! We do very little outside, but I'm hoping to change this. When we manage to get outside, I try to stand back and let them have fun (within reason). ;)

Just came across this thread! I read the book when it first came out and have been meaning to re-read. Must go find my copy!

To start by answering your questions:

Lots! I'm in a DC suburb and there are a great many open spaces and nature center type parks. It gets even better the further west you go. Of course, with all these parks are TICKS.

Well, I'm not sure...but there are plenty of open bits between the neighborhoods (ours is about 25 years old) and lots of trails. The neighbors do bemoan what has been cut down though.

I try. I really do. I want to be a yes, mom instead of a no, mom, iykwim. I let them climb trees, cross the creek, etc. I do want them to stay in my sight. Although sometimes I have to close my eyes... :eek: I'm fearful of poison ivy (after having it this past summer) and ticks, as lyme disease is very prevalent around here.

Off to look for my book! Oh, and I am listening to Quiet in the car these days -- it is really good: eye-opening and encouraging. The narrators voice is perfect for the topic.