Menu

IEW Linguistic Development

ebrindam

We use them occasionally. I put them on my mp3 player and the kids like them in the car sometimes which is good for review. And we use them for things like Jabberwocky.

It's interesting how our rhythm and pronunciations are different from his. It makes for a good compare/contrast discussion ...

I can't imagine doing without it! We listen to the entire poem that we're working on everyday. I think it aids us in memorizing the entire piece plus I like hearing how Andrew pronounces the poem. After listening each day, the children repeat back the stanzas we're working on & then we recite what we know. The children often listen to the CDs during quiet time. We're in the third level now. :)

Aw, but I like that Lewis Carroll's Crocodile "welcomes little fishies in" at my house. And that our "PaPa" (emphasis on both syllables) would buy us a yak, not a papa (emphasis on only first syllable). And that Robert Louis Stevenson's The Swing goes up and down like in a swing. These pronunciations and rhythms would would never have happened if we used the CDs exclusively.

But, like I said, I need the CDs for Jabberwocky (our current poem) and we enjoy the discussion.

We're about half-way through Level 2. R-girl is almost caught up with the others. She can do Jabberwocky, but is a little tentative on the two before it.

For us they have been well worth the investment. We are in our 7th year of using this curriculum. I completed all the levels with my oldest two and am working my way through again with the younger set. The CDs became part of our morning routine years ago, and I love how they make it so very easy to complete. I know there are others who think they are overpriced, but for me 7+ years of near-constant use have made them very, very cost effective.