Menu

Hellmann's Mayo made with Olive Oil - any good?

MIch elle

I think it's ok. It still has soybean oil, though. It just has *some* olive oil.

My favorite mayo is Veganaise made by Follow your Heart (found in health food stores; don't think I've ever seen it in a big chain grocery). Don't let the vegan part fool you; it's tasty. Better than the Hellmans, I think.

Guest inoubliable

I think it's ok. It still has soybean oil, though. It just has *some* olive oil.

My favorite mayo is Veganaise made by Follow your Heart (found in health food stores; don't think I've ever seen it in a big chain grocery). Don't let the vegan part fool you; it's tasty. Better than the Hellmans, I think.

LOL. I was *just* going to post this! And, if you're truly terrified of soy, there's a soy-free Vegenaise, too. http://www.followyourheart.com/products/soyfree-vegenaise

I thought it was nasty, but then I have been making my own since 1978; all brands of mayo taste wrong to me, lol.

Ellie,

I have tried this repeatedly but it's always an epic FAIL. Can you guide me step-by-step? I'm guessing it has something to do with how slowly I drizzle the olive oil, but it seems like I'm going slow enough. It just doesn't emulsify. Help!

LOL. I was *just* going to post this! And, if you're truly terrified of soy, there's a soy-free Vegenaise, too. http://www.followyou...yfree-vegenaise

For some reason pregnancy has made me a mayo fiend! I love this stuff. I meant to specifically reference the soy-free Veganaise in my regular post (that's the one I prefer and, given the OP's original request, would be the one I would suggest out of the different choices) but I'll blame pregnancy on that, too. Baby brain, I've got it.

Ellie, I too would like to see how you make your mayo! I could save some serious money making my own mayo, seeing as I've developed quite an addiction to the stuff.

I'm coming from the unhealthful "Life is Better With Mayonnaise" perspective. I like the olive oil mayonnaise a lot, preferring it even over regular mayonnaise.

Whoa whoa whoa...the Life is Better with Mayonnaise perspective is unhealthful? (Says she who considers butter its own major food group.) Nah. I don't (won't) believe you. :laugh:

Ok, this is my recipe, slightly modified from "The Supermarket Handbook:"

1 egg

2 tsp. vinegar (you can use more)

1 cup oil

1/4 tsp. dry mustard

1/4 tsp. salt

Put egg, vinegar, seasonings, and 1/4 cup oil in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Process for a minute or so. With the machine still running, steadily add the rest of the oil. Process for another minute or so. Scoop out the yummy mayo into a container and store in the fridge.

The taste of the finished product will vary depending on what kind of oil, vinegar and seasonings you add. I usually use a red wine vinegar, although if my celiac friends are coming over I'll use Bragg's. I use extra light olive oil and Herbamare Organic Seasoning Salt (but I always add the dry mustard; I don't think the brand matters). White vinegar is nasty, even taragon-flavored white vinegar. :-p

You can make it without a food processor or blender; it just might not be as thick.

ETA: You can easily double the recipe; you'd still process eggs, vinegar, seasonings, and some oil--at least 1/4 cup, maybe 1/2, cup--together before adding the rest of the oil. And I prefer a food processor over a blender, because it's easier to scoop out the mayo from a food processor bowl than from a blender, KWIM? :-o