Menu

LOE users: Organizing the Flash Cards

kirstenhill

Okay, fellow Logic of English users...I know this has been brought up before, but I am really having trouble keeping all my phonogram and spelling rule cards organized now that I have three students (one in Essentials, 2 in foundations) that need three different specific groups of phonogram flash cards, spelling rule cards, etc -- not to mention the cards we haven't even used yet!

I think a file box with dividers is the right solution, but the bigger file boxes seem to still only be about 4x6 (too small) and the other random small plastic bins and boxes at Target are generally either too narrow or not tall enough. I have tried rubber banding groups of cards, but my rubber bands constantly break...I also tried baggies, but that got bulky and still hard to find what I wanted.

Has anyone found a file box that would fit? Or any other creative solutions?

My solution was actually from Target, but it's not a file box. I will go to the site to see if I can find it to link, but it's a rectangular box with these square organizer things in the corners that you can pop out, or fold back in to the corner. I have two of the square things popped out to hold the game cards (I have all three sets), then I have the other two folded back in to the corners with just some 4x6 dividers and the LOE cards. I don't know how to post a pic on here, but if you want to pm me your cell #, I could snap a pic with my phone and send it to you.

ETA: It is the medium Rubbermaid Bento box

ETA again: I see that the one I have is not available online, but there is a plain one without the decorations on it that is on sale right now.

My solution was actually from Target, but it's not a file box. I will go to the site to see if I can find it to link, but it's a rectangular box with these square organizer things in the corners that you can pop out, or fold back in to the corner. I have two of the square things popped out to hold the game cards (I have all three sets), then I have the other two folded back in to the corners with just some 4x6 dividers and the LOE cards. I don't know how to post a pic on here, but if you want to pm me your cell #, I could snap a pic with my phone and send it to you.

ETA again: I see that the one I have is not available online, but there is a plain one without the decorations on it that is on sale right now.

Oh, that looks great! I wish I had a target near by, perhaps WalMart has something similar. I'm starting to get annoyed with my cards as well.

Sweet! It's even in stock at my close-by Target! Does it have a lid? I was really hoping for something with a lid....but for something that would not only fit the flash cards but the game cards too, I might be willing to forgo the lid. :-)

Sweet! It's even in stock at my close-by Target! Does it have a lid? I was really hoping for something with a lid....but for something that would not only fit the flash cards but the game cards too, I might be willing to forgo the lid. :-)

Sorry, no lid. Works like a charm, though! :) Yes, I love that I can keep ALL the cards together. If that were not the case, I'd probably be hunting every time I needed the game cards.

Going to have to run to Target tomorrow!

Side note, I also wish the phonogram cards were numbered so I could put them back in order if I mix them all up for a game or something. The Spelling Rules cards are numbered - I keep thinking I should take a sharpie to the corners, but I hate altering items I've purchased. Its one of my many endearing quirks :tongue_smilie:

I was trying to find a picture of the box I found but can't, so I will describe it. They are index card file boxes (small for game cards and large for phonograms, spelling and grammar). I bought them at staples and they were a little more expensive, like $15 for the largest, but super nice and shut tight in case they ever got knocked off the table or shelf. Not that that would ever happen ;)

They are a smoky black plastic case with metal edges and a metal buckle on the front. It is slightly wider and taller like the cards and they all fit perfectly. I turn the game cards sideways to fit them so they are lined up left to right instead of front to back. I really like them.

I was trying to find a picture of the box I found but can't, so I will describe it. They are index card file boxes (small for game cards and large for phonograms, spelling and grammar). I bought them at staples and they were a little more expensive, like $15 for the largest, but super nice and shut tight in case they ever got knocked off the table or shelf. Not that that would ever happen ;)

They are a smoky black plastic case with metal edges and a metal buckle on the front. It is slightly wider and taller like the cards and they all fit perfectly. I turn the game cards sideways to fit them so they are lined up left to right instead of front to back. I really like them.

I have these cases, too. Mine are clear - I had trouble deciding between that and pink. I just got them the other day from Staples (but I can't find them on the Staples website). One little (3x5) one for ...whatever (it's a spare right now), and then a large one (4x6) that I use for our memory work - using the CM Scripture memorization method.

Amazon has them.

Well, I use these index card holders for the flash cards and some Ultra Pro gaming card holders for the game cards. I made labels for the outside and then I use dividers and/or magnetic paper clips (I get mine at Wal-Mart) inside to keep track of where I am with each deck. The tough thing for me, then, is the best way to keep my boxes corralled. I need a drawer or something. The closest thing I've found was an ITSO tray from Target, but it's just barely too small for the index card holders I've got. Another brand of card holder might fit in there. For now, I'm just leaving them out on my desk.

I do like the Bento idea, too. I've also seen the Bento boxes at JoAnn Fabrics (different colors from Target) and online. They do have lids you can buy for them, but the lids cost about as much as the box does.

• 2 months later...

After reading the posts here I headed to Target. I bought the Bento organizer, but I also bought a Sterlite box. The Bento organizer is neat, but I like the plastic box better. Here are pictures of the box with cards and homemade dividers. You will notice a heavy AAS influence in the divider cards.

image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

Sterilite Clip Box Set of 4 - Green (Medium) : Target The Target website says that it is not available in stores, but my store had it in a couple of colors.

I have used AAS for the past year and would recommend it, but I wonder why so many people drift from AAS to Logic of English. For me it was the plan in the front of the book to work through the lessons quickly with an older student. Also, I really enjoy buying new curriculum.

Blessings,

Jill

Sterilite Clip Box Set of 4 - Green (Medium) : Target The Target website says that it is not available in stores, but my store had it in a couple of colors.

I have used AAS for the past year and would recommend it, but I wonder why so many people drift from AAS to Logic of English. For me it was the plan in the front of the book to work through the lessons quickly with an older student. Also, I really enjoy buying new curriculum.

Blessings,

Jill

It's so funny -- that's the exact box I had mine in when I wrote my first post. I just couldn't stand how they slid around side to side. I didn't think to put the game cards in there with them (duh!) Although, that wouldn't have helped the problem I had with the game cards that whenever I had them in rubber bands, the rubber bands were constantly breaking.

Here's how I ended up doing mine:

post-30423-0-16462600-1365804409_thumb.jpg

(Sorry, I think the picture probably looks tiny...I don't know how to make it bigger!)

post-30423-0-16462600-1365804409_thumb.jpg

Lori,

I can't find those colored envelopes. Can you share where you bought them? I have been looking online at Amazon and various office supply stores. A specific name of the product would also help.

Katrina,

I have looked online and I never found them. I know I bought them at either Staples or Office Max because those are the only office supply stores I have near me. The envelopes are marked "SMEAD Inndura." Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Katrina,

I have looked online and I never found them. I know I bought them at either Staples or Office Max because those are the only office supply stores I have near me. The envelopes are marked "SMEAD Inndura." Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks Lori. That helps :). I am on the hunt for something as the rubber band system isn't very pretty. ;)