Menu

R.E.M. fans... (and anyone who has heard "Losing my Religion")

nmoira

I probably wouldn’t have noticed it was different if you hadn’t told me. Since you did tell me, it sounded a little off but not awkward or uncomfortable.

I think I’m tone-deaf though for what that’s worth.

Well I don't think I'm tone deaf, but I agree. Maybe there's too much background noise around here to notice a big difference, but it really sounds like the original for the most part, to me.

Well I don't think I'm tone deaf, but I agree. Maybe there's too much background noise around here to notice a big difference, but it really sounds like the original for the most part, to me.

so glad I'm not the only one! Add me to the list of people who thought, "huh, they changed it????"

I completely did not notice a difference, at all. This is only one of the reasons we outsource piano lessons at our house ;)

It doesn't sound creepy to me, but it makes it sound more like a perky upbeat pop song than the moody song it is.

What makes the original song work is that dichotomy of upbeat and moody. It's higher energy than most "break-up" songs, there's no instrumental break in the lyrics, and there's clapping! But the minor key and the lyrics make it obvious that it's not a happy song. The dream versus the reality.

When you change the tone of the music, it just doesn't work at all. But I think the fact that you can so easily sing it in a major key and make it feel so uncomfortable is a testament to how well the original song was written.

Hmmm.

I guess being a music-y gal, it didn't bother me too much. It almost felt like he was singing it in harmony, but then I couldn't pick out the harmony I used to sing with the original.

Don't know WHAT I think, but I listened to the whole thing and I didn't scratch my eyes out. :)

OK, had a chance to listen. Dh said, "That's HORRIBLE!" I just thought it was hilarious.

Did anyone watch the Metallica one? It's totally cracking me up:

http://vimeo.com/24938649

I think they're both funny! I was cracking up listening to them and smiling the whole time.

I guess I like the novelty of it :-)

Nothing Else Matters is a little more odd to me. I guess because I'm such a Metallica fan and have sung along to that song so many times.

Wow, that was interesting. At first I was wondering why others were saying they had to turn it off, but I got to a point that I couldn't take the song anymore. Then I had to go and listen to the real song.

My dd does this sort of thing on the piano. She will learn her songs for her piano lessons, then she will play them in different keys, tempos, styles, etc. It is fun to hear her play.