Menu

Need help: last minute trip to Galveston

We are planning a trip to Galveston, kind of last minute. What decent hotels are there? We are only going to be there overnight, we wanted to stay at Moody Gardens, but they are booked. :glare: Schlitterbahn is going to be our big attraction for this trip, so anything near there.

Any tips for a decent family type seafood restaurant would be good too.

TIA.

We are planning a trip to Galveston, kind of last minute. What decent hotels are there? We are only going to be there overnight, we wanted to stay at Moody Gardens, but they are booked. :glare: Schlitterbahn is going to be our big attraction for this trip, so anything near there.

TIA.

EL, the San Luis is a beautiful hotel to stay in. That's the only hotel we've ever stayed in. As for restaurants, Landry's is a really good place to eat, and the restaurants down on the bay are good. I think there's one called The Fisherman's Dwarf (?) and that is awesome! Keep in mind the ferry ride may take a while coming off the island...and DO NOT cut in the ferry line!! It's a huge fine for it.

You might try Benno's or Gaido's - Gaido's is white tablecloth and a bit pricey but it has a nice view of the Gulf.

I've never spent the night in Galveston (we lived too close when we lived in Houston) but dh has stayed twice at San Luis Resort for business - it's probably a bit pricey though. Galveston isn't too far from Clear Lake, that may be more affordable.

Enjoy Schlitterbahn! you may also enjoy the sea turtles but you may not have enough time -

http://galveston.ssp.nmfs.gov/seaturtles/

TIA.

You might want to look at Vacation Rentals By Owner.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/texas/galveston

You might be able to get a condo on the beach for nearly the same price of a nice hotel.

TIA.

We stayed at the San Luis years ago (over ten!), so unfortunately I don't have any up-to-date info on it. It's owned by Landry's Restaurant group.

For restaurants, I'll second Gaido's. We like the shrimp po-boys!

The Landry's restaurants are good, too. They have several lines; we've tried and like:

- Willie G's (perhaps the most formal of all, but still on the casual side, IMO)

- Landry's Seafood House, and

- Downtown Aquarium (this is in downtown Houston, though)

I think the most fun Landry's restaurant for kids might be Rainforest Cafe.

HTH!

Um, I know a little about Galveston. :D Our favorite restaurant is Clary's. It's right off of 45 when you come over the causeway and it overlooks a canal. Ask for Michael as your waiter. It's the best seafood I've ever had!

We like to stay near the Strand. Our favorite is The Tremont. I also love the Harbour House. You can watch the cruise ships come in.

On the Seawall, the Casa Del Mar is nice. It's nice to come in from the beach and jump in the pool. Of course the Galvez is gorgeous as is the San Luis. One we are going to try next time we go back with the whole fam-damily is The Commadore. They have family rooms. We've never stayed there, so proceed with caution. I've always wanted to stay at the Flagship. It hasn't gotten very good reviews, though. They are about to redo it. They being the Landry's.

If you get a chance, FishTales is great! It's on the seawall right in front of the Flagship. If you do go to Gaidos, get the shrimp bisque. It rocks!

There is a super good restaurant on Post Office St. called Rudy and Paco's. It is really good! The service is the best I've ever experienced in a restaurant.

But, really, don't miss Clary's. It's very laid back and the best seafood! There's a map in the link above. Our favorite spot on the beach is right near the Flagship because there are always surfers to watch.