Menu

Who is using Sassafras Science Adventures?

blondeviolin

My DD is just finishing it up this week -- she read the last two chapters today. For her as a 3rd grader, it was a great independent science option. She did the book, a notebook and occasional outside reading but no projects. She did some of the suggested encyclopedia readings but thought they were pretty boring so I didn't push it. I think it would be great fun for younger kids too as a read aloud. You could really go as in depth as you wanted to with outside reading or not. It's pretty flexible that way!

Is the logbook too much writing for a fairly advanced first-grader? I don't know how much encyclopedia work they'd do, but it might be a lot. My 5yo especially LOVES science:

It might be a bit much on his/her own, but with help it would be fine - some of it is straight copy work - just copying animal names and classification, habitat info a d definitions. Then there is a section on each animal page for the student to write what he/she learned. My 3rd grader could do this on her own but you might have to scribe for a younger student. There are also some general "note taking" pages for each chapter and project pages, but we didn't use those.

There are suggested encyclopedias for older and younger students. We happened to already own the one suggested for older kids, but I think even my DD would have enjoyed the "younger" one a bit more - she liked learning about animals but tons of details is not her thing and the full animal encyclopedia is pretty detailed!

We are using it and barely started, but my dd's are LOVING it! Beg me to keep reading more. I help my K'er with her log book, but my 3rd grader does it on her own. You could definitely make the program as full as you want it using all of the extras!

My oldest has already begged me to do the next book on Anatomy next year for science, so I guess that speaks for itself!

Hi all,

I have been looking at science curriculums all day in hopes of something my dd 8 can do on her own next year. I found this and I am thinking this could be the one! Can anyone tell me when this came out? I am aware that they will be coming out with a total of 8 and I am wondering if the 2nd level would be out soon. Also she will be 4th next year. Would it be challenging enough or is it open ended where it could be as challenging as we want it? A little history....she reads at a 6-7th grade level, she enjoys doing research, and reading. We have done My Pals Science 3a & 3b last year and liked it but could not find 4a and 4b. We ended up trying MBTP science and I am not keeping up....too hands on for me right now! Any thoughts apreciated!

Hi all,

I have been looking at science curriculums all day in hopes of something my dd 8 can do on her own next year. I found this and I am thinking this could be the one! Can anyone tell me when this came out? I am aware that they will be coming out with a total of 8 and I am wondering if the 2nd level would be out soon. Also she will be 4th next year. Would it be challenging enough or is it open ended where it could be as challenging as we want it? A little history....she reads at a 6-7th grade level, she enjoys doing research, and reading. We have done My Pals Science 3a & 3b last year and liked it but could not find 4a and 4b. We ended up trying MBTP science and I am not keeping up....too hands on for me right now! Any thoughts apreciated!

Sassafras Vol 1 came out this year and she is currently working on Vol 2 (Anatomy) but has not stated a release date yet. Your dd could read the book on her own and fill out the logbook. Then she could use the Animal Encyclopedias to expand the info on the animals. It's set up that each chapter has a location that they travel to where they learn a little about the location and then the expert helps them learn about 2 animals of that place. There are extra pages where she could do research of topics related to that chapter to further her experience. There are also lists of living books that she could read with each chapter and experiments to try out as well. My 2nd and 4th grade boys just love it! You can see samples on their website and Paige, the author, is very happy to answer questions. We're excited for book 2!

From the Sassafras Facebook page

"The second book in the series will be Anatomy and we expect to release it in late spring of this year. After that, I can't give exact release dates, but we are going to keep working on the project until it's complete. The series as a whole will cover zoology, anatomy, botany, geoscience, geology, astronomy, chemistry and physics. The order will be released as we release information about future volumes. If you have anymore questions, please let me know."

• 1 year later...