Menu

Does "processed food" include homemade foods?

Ginevra

Well, any food that is no longer in its raw state is technically "processed". Once you've cooked broccoli, it's been processed to a degree.

But I think what people are generally referring to when they talk about processed foods is packaged food (e.g. packaged mac and cheese, etc.).

Well, any food that is no longer in its raw state is technically "processed". Once you've cooked broccoli, it's been processed to a degree.

But I think what people are generally referring to when they talk about processed foods is packaged food (e.g. packaged mac and cheese, etc.).

That's what I ended up saying. :)

Well, if your cookies were made from store bought pillsbury dough then they are a processed food. If you made the cookies from scratch they are not.

:svengo: Perish the thought. That would be grounds for divorce!

I don't think homemade food is processed food. The problem I have with processed foods is all of the chemicals and preservatives that the food is subjected to in order to extend its shelf life. This includes some processes that are not even included on the labels, like the BPA in the linings of metal cans, pesticides in the plastic bags that cereals come in, meat glue, etc. I assume that foods that were processed in a factory were subjected to any number of processes that would not happen in your home kitchen.

Here's the official definition of processed food:

The United States Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, Section 201, Chapter II, (gg) defines processed food as "any food other than a raw agricultural commodity and includes any raw agricultural commodity that has been subject to processing, such as canning, cooking, freezing, dehydration, or milling." This definition establishes parameters for the Food and Drug Administration, or FDA, to regulate quality and safety in the food processing industry.

Read more:

http://www.livestron.../#ixzz2I64wd4nR

So there ya have it.... Your homemade bread and cookies are processed food.

;)

In the current vernacular, I would think "processed" refers to packaged (or prepared) foods that do not contain items you would find in your pantry: stabilizers, artificial colors, added chemicals.

In reality (as in the USDA definition), when I put up tomatoes, they're "processed" in a hot canner bath. That kind of processing, I think, is just fine.

I'm really stumped, actually. Dh and I were talking about processed foods and as I described what that means to me, he said, "So are those cookies you made a processed food? Is the homemade bread?"

I defended my baking. :tongue_smilie: But, maybe wrongly.

They ARE processed. They are home-processed rather than pre-processed.

Processing doesn't always make things bad for you! After all, every cooked meal you put on the table is processed. But a lot of times, the processing that they do before food hits shelves does make it worse for you because it's meant to improve the saleability/taste with no or little regard to the health, and given the way things have to be stored, freshness alone takes a big hit in the taste department, so it's usually made up for with lots of fats (and salt, but salt isn't bad for 95% of people).