Menu

bump/lump near larnyx (updated #10)

Mandamom

We discovered a lump in my ds6's neck? It is about 2 cm and doesn't seem to be attached to anything. It doesn't hurt him. Otherwise, he very possibly has a sinus infection with a cough and lots of congestion.

We're thinking it might be a swollen gland but due to where it is located we're not sure.

Any ideas?

Long shot, but I have a thoradaxical cyst that was discovered about that age. Scared my parents half to death.

I just googled what you had and didn't see anything about it on google. In the search for that I found the Thyroglossal Duct Cyst which happens to look very similar to my son's neck.

We were going to call the doc tomorrow anyway to due the sinuses. I'm still hopeful that it is just a gland and the swelling will go away with antibiotics.

That's what my mother called it, pre-Google days..lol. Anyway, it's exactly the size of a marble, made of harmless tissue and it's sort of just "there". I could have it extracted for cosmetic reasons, but I'm sorta done chasing roosters or vanity.

This time of year, it's probably a bug related thing, but wise to check anyway. Best of luck.

That's what my mother called it, pre-Google days..lol. I had to laugh because it is probably one of the few times in all the years I've been doing internet searches that there was NOTHING on that topic. LOL

Anyway, it's exactly the size of a marble, made of harmless tissue and it's sort of just "there". I could have it extracted for cosmetic reasons, but I'm sorta done chasing roosters or vanity. In doing some reading there are more concerns than just cosmetic (very low risk though). At this point we'll just take it one step at a time and continue to hope it is nothing.

This time of year, it's probably a bug related thing, but wise to check anyway. Best of luck.

Thanks I appreciate that and your lead.

So far, ped believes it is just a swollen gland. It is a very big swollen gland and we have to watch it to make sure that it doesn't change sizes quickly. So, with amoxicillan and at least one follow-up I'm hoping this is the end of it.

Thanks everyone.

This happened to one of my sons after a long battle with a nasty virus. It took a very long time for his to diminish, but they eventually did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We followed up today with the ENT because the lump had not disappeared. He said that he's 95% certain it is the thyroglossal duct cyst and will need to be removed. The next step is to schedule the outpatient surgery.

More update.....since now the surgery is complete and he is almost at 100% I figured I would update.The surgery went well. The doctor was surprised that he could not find some of the parts he was expecting to find. After he removed the lump and the the lab results came back it appears that it was a transdermal cyst instead of the thyroglassal, which explains why the surgery (and recovery) were easier than expected.

I updated these in case anyone else goes through something similar and needs information.