Menu

Teach me how to teach Latin

bbcooker

I know zero Latin.

Whereas in all other subjects I was well educated, so I can evaluate curriculum and understand their differing approaches, in Latin I'm clueless and can't even begin to evaluate curriculum.

When do I start teaching Latin? How? What curriculums are favorites of homeschoolers? I definitely need a 'hand-holding' curriculum, and 'open-and-go' and 'scripted' would be great.

Are there some resources that will teach me how to teach Latin?

Thanks,

We use Lively Latin which I am finding very easy to teach having had virtually no Latin myself. (I had one year of Latin in 8th grade about a million years ago). It’s a bit pricey but once you buy it you can reuse for multiple kids (you get a CD and would have to print out the files yourself to reuse). There is also a very nice website that has a lot of extras and support.

We started in second grade so I was looking for something that could be done by a younger kid but that would last through the elementary years. I didn’t think my oldest would like the younger programs that had songs or were more cute, it isn’t his personality. He also really really loves history, especially Roman history and Lively Latin has a lot of extra history (you could skip the history if you wanted to and do fine with the language part). In my research I decided I wanted something that was a part to whole approach which LL is. Those were my reasons and it’s been a good fit for us.

If you haven’t already tried, do a search for Latin on these boards. You will get a lot of threads.

I tried 2 different programs (including LL) and just couldn't do it. On the recommendation of another WTMer on these boards (can't remember who), I went back to the very first book I bought, but never used, Getting Started With Latin. When it arrived, I thought it was way too simple and sent it back. When I ordered it again, I decided to start implementing it and bam! easy-peasy to teach. Before school started, I started working on it on my own in the evenings and was surprised at how quickly I picked it up. After that, it was easy to teach. We're almost done with the book and will be moving on to Latin Prep. Indy can translate Latin like you wouldn't believe. Even though it looks ridiculously simple, it's a really great program.

Memoria Press has a great latin program. I combined my dd8 & dd7 in Prima Latina this year. I am very pleased with this program. I've purchased and looked at a few other latin programs; some were confusing for me to learn from, some were nothing more than memorizing words, some were too babyish. I felt Memoria Press' latin was the most clear, well laid-out, and meaty of the ones I looked at. The kids are learning latin grammar and derivatives in Prima Latina. It doesn't have any bells and whistles like some programs. We go over the grammar, we chant the new vocabulary, they write it twice every day, we talk about English words that are derived from the vocabulary, we review previous lessons. No workbooks or games; though it does come with a CD and DVD if you need it. The authors of Memoria Press are the faculty at Highlands Latin School, which has also done very well with the latin program.

I also recommend Getting Started With Latin. I knew zero Latin myself, and GSWL let me learn right alongside my daughter.

DD is in Latin's Not So Tough now, and I think it would also be good for a beginner, especially Level 1. I think GSWL has more explanation about what you're doing and why, though.

Memoria Press has a great latin program. I combined my dd8 & dd7 in Prima Latina this year. I am very pleased with this program. I've purchased and looked at a few other latin programs; some were confusing for me to learn from, some were nothing more than memorizing words, some were too babyish. I felt Memoria Press' latin was the most clear, well laid-out, and meaty of the ones I looked at. The kids are learning latin grammar and derivatives in Prima Latina. It doesn't have any bells and whistles like some programs. We go over the grammar, we chant the new vocabulary, they write it twice every day, we talk about English words that are derived from the vocabulary, we review previous lessons. No workbooks or games; though it does come with a CD and DVD if you need it. The authors of Memoria Press are the faculty at Highlands Latin School, which has also done very well with the latin program.

I agree! We use Primat Latine (with 8 and 7 year old) and am very, very happy with it! The DVD is great and the wrokbook really seem to help retention!

We do Memoria Press. I got the Latin DVDs and the workbooks, everything and I learn right alongside the boys. I'm doing Prima Latina with my 3rd grader this year and Latina Christiana 1 with my 4th grader. I watch the DVDs with them. It's tempting to just sit them in front of the DVDs, but.... ok, for a 4th grade boy who's rather be doing anything but schoolwork, I have to be there beside him to keep him paying attention, but it's also been good for me because I'm learning it, too. He's really learned a lot. Both boys are doing well with the program. I am quite pleased.