Menu

Tuition-free colleges

Gwen in VA

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/college-finance/colleges-for-free.aspx#slide=1

A quick article on colleges that do not charge any tuition.

I was aware of a few of them --

Cooper-Union

Webb Institute (which I highly recommend -- my son is a ridiculously happy studen there!)

College of the Ozarks

United States Coast Guard Academy (not sure why they didn't mention the other academies)

But I had never heard of Macaulay Honors College!

I thought I would share the list because attending a tuition-free college is one way to beat the higher sticker price of a college education!

http://www.bankrate....ee.aspx#slide=1

A quick article on colleges that do not charge any tuition.

I was aware of a few of them --

Cooper-Union

Webb Institute (which I highly recommend -- my son is a ridiculously happy studen there!)

College of the Ozarks

United States Coast Guard Academy (not sure why they didn't mention the other academies)

But I had never heard of Macaulay Honors College!

I thought I would share the list because attending a tuition-free college is one way to beat the higher sticker price of a college education!

Great article and very timely! I did note that Macaulay is only free for in-state students, so it works for those in NY.

If one reads the bottom of a few of them, there are other similar colleges listed making the list far more than five.

The bad part is most of these have very low acceptance rates, but as Gwen's son shows, it can happen! ;)

The aaceptance rates of these schools vary considerably.

Webb has an acceptance rate of 30% -- which is in the ballpark of the acceptance rates at the stronger state universities in our state. For an academically strong student, acceptance is a fairly straightforward proposition.

Curtiss has an acceptance rate in the basement, so I would definitely NOT plan on attendance there to solve tuition issues!

1. Antioch College is still tuition free for another two years. Not yet accredited, but it could work for the right student.

2. (Ignore the numbers I have no idea how to make them go away. )

53% admittance rate. More info on retention and graduation rates here: http://collegestats....lege/admissions

The link I gave may have old info as it's not currently accredited, so the retention and graduation rates may be different. I would guess the retention rate would be higher considering that the tuition is now free. Free tuition seems to apply for all four years for those who apply, and are accepted, within the next two years.

Berea is also a tuition-free college but it is my understanding that the college only accepts students whose family income is below average. This limits who may apply but even then their acceptance rate is very low--around 12 percent.

Berea is tuition free in a way, but not really, IMO. The students are required to work there to pay for their tuition. The pay is insanely low- I think it was 15 cents an hour when my friends were there. It is not enough to save or do anything with. Basically, you work for free and they give you an education, room, and board. It can be a good deal but it can also be hard or not the best idea. You don't get to pick your job either. Some of the jobs, especially the artisan types are really nice. Some of them, like the cleaning and food service jobs, are not nice.

Berea is a great fit for many students. Everyone defines low income or middle class differently - but Berea is not just for extreme low income families and there are people who consider themselves middle class who will qualify. Here is the link to the Berea online estimator. For many lower income families, they may get as good a financial deal at high selective schools that meet full financial need, but Berea is likely going to be a better financial deal that schools that don't meet full need or do so primarily through loans. I personally don't think the work requirement is that burdensome. My friends who went to Berea had jobs that were very similar to the work study jobs I had at a liberal arts college. Low and middle income students who go elsewhere are going to work anyway.

Berea's campus is physically beautiful - very college feel, nice quad, old buildings, big trees, nice landscaping. Their placement for grad school is strong. It is in a small, dry (no alcohol) town in Kentucky and that's not going to appeal to some students. It is a cute town with lots of artist's shops that appeal to tourists, but it may feel confining to students who want to be some place bigger. The student population is fairly diverse and has quite a few international students. For kids who don't have a ton of money it can be nice to have a peer group that also doesn't spend a lot on clothes, vacations, etc.

Jane raises the important point that Berea's acceptance rate is very low. They aren't just looking for kids who could get into the most selective colleges (near perfect test scores, amazing GPAs, etc.) but rather for kids who fit in within the mission of Berea to open up college opportunities for kids who might not otherwise have them. They like kids who have had life experiences, community service, etc. and many of their accepted students don't have top grades and test scores so I would look at it with an open mind. Here's an article from my site with more information about work colleges

Pensacola Christian college is another free or very low cost option where students work to pay their way. Especially if you've grown up with Abeka materials, it might be a great fit ;). I looked at them years back, but they were more than a little bit more conservative than I was.

http://www.pcci.edu/...Assistance.html

Be careful with them. Most of their programs are NOT accredited, and therefore, not accepted at most places. One of my friends spent a year there, then wanted to transfer (WAY too conservative even for her conservative views). Her credits weren't even accepted at the local Bible college. She was (and remains) very frustrated about it. It wasn't all that long ago... so look carefully if considering this place.

This post made me look into Cooper Union. Wow, their humanities offering is amazing for the hungry learner. This school is one that will fit 2 of my kids' criteria Architecture and Engineering and an interesting humanities program. I wonder what's their acceptance like for homeschooling students, by their philosophy, it should be high, no?

shama

I wonder what's their acceptance like for homeschooling students, by their philosophy, it should be high, no?

Give Cooper-Union a call and ask about what they want to see from a homeschooled student.

When my son applied to Webb, he was the only homeschooled student the college had seen in a while (we were told he was the first one, but I've heard otherwise since then). We provided the info they asked for (plus a lot).

As long as Cooper-Union is open to dealing with homeschoolers, fthe fact that your child is homeschooled shouldn't be a problem!

This post made me look into Cooper Union. Wow, their humanities offering is amazing for the hungry learner. This school is one that will fit 2 of my kids' criteria Architecture and Engineering and an interesting humanities program. I wonder what's their acceptance like for homeschooling students, by their philosophy, it should be high, no?

shama

My husband went to Cooper Union (electrical engineering) and loved it. The courses were challenging and the administrators and faculty were happy to speak with students even outside of the classroom. (Dh often went to McSorley's Pub with some of his classmates and profs.) He later went on for his PhD in statistics at U of Chicago and felt that was easy compared to CU.

The campus is very small -- only a few buildings -- and is located in East Village (I think). We visited NYC two summers ago and wanted to take a tour with our youngest but they were booked solid by late spring -- so if you want to tour, book early.

To find out what they'd want to see from a homeschooler, check their website and don't hesitate to call them. Admissions are very competitive; however, students are not cut throat with each other and get along very well according to my husband.

Good luck to your child.