Menu

Athena's Academy: Philosophy and the Spring Semester

SunnyDays

I've been looking at Athena's Academy since last fall, and I'm thinking we might finally do one for spring semester. I'm looking at "Philosophy for Kids" since most of the others are content areas that we have covered. I think DS would enjoy the discussion, and the deeper thinking skills would benefit him.

So, two questions...

1. Has anyone's child done the Philosophy course yet? What did you think?

2. Are your kids taking any courses through Athena's this spring semester? Which ones??

DD is doing Literature-she did Mythology this fall and wanted to do something this Spring so she could keep it going, and I like the idea of her being able to discuss books with someone besides me. We looked at SOTW, but it's the same time as co-op, and not being able to do the live discussions would defeat the purpose for DD.

SL core 6 wasn't really clicking for her-she liked the history, but not all the historical fiction, much of which, I admit, is a bit focused on interpersonal relationships (nothing graphic, but a lot of focus on marriages and the like)-so jumping to Jr. Great Books didn't seem like a bad move. It's probably easier than what she was doing, but the selections are good, and she's been thrilled with the live discussion and getting to talk to other kids who "think like me!".

SL core 6 wasn't really clicking for her-she liked the history, but not all the historical fiction, much of which, I admit, is a bit focused on interpersonal relationships (nothing graphic, but a lot of focus on marriages and the like)-so jumping to Jr. Great Books didn't seem like a bad move. It's probably easier than what she was doing, but the selections are good, and she's been thrilled with the live discussion and getting to talk to other kids who "think like me!".

quick question -- am following this thread, though my littles are too young for this now -- is Jr. Great Books offered through Athena's, or are you talking about their in-house-ish program via Connections, or something else? just wondering, am interested in Great Books resources ...

Athena's lit uses Jr Great Books and selected novels-I signed my DD up for the 5th grade, which is a bit below her current level in lit that we've been doing at home, figuring that if she likes it, we can do the 6th grade class next year. He anthology is great!

Thanks for this! one of the drawbacks of Jr Great Books is (as far as I've seen) they don't use longer works; the Athena class sounds close to an ideal balance. Off to bookmark it for Logic Stage ...

My 8 year olds signed up for Beast Academy 3C & D ( I am a little concerned about D as the book is not out yet) and Philosophy for Kids I. We are so excited as this our first year homeschooling and their first online class!

My dd is in the same 2 classes - also her first online class, second year homeschooling. We also signed up for a Bravewriter writing class. I sure hope it all works out. Good luck to yours. :)

My dd is in the same 2 classes - also her first online class, second year homeschooling. We also signed up for a Bravewriter writing class. I sure hope it all works out. Good luck to yours. :)

What do you think of the Bravewriter class? Good luck to your daughter as well! :-)