Menu

Does anyone want to talk to me about HS in PA?

Runningmom80

Pauline's website is awesome, and you're right, the rules are annoying but not too bad. Use Pauline's forms to keep track of days (I keep a form on my fridge) and in the portfolio I keep track of books, and also whenever I feel something is "portfolio worthy" I just pop it in. Try to find homeschoolers in the school district you'll be in, I find that each district is different with how strict they are and what they require. Call the school, talk to the homeschool coordinator, call co ops, or find homeschool groups to get some good info. If you have any questions, let me know.

Pauline's website is awesome, and you're right, the rules are annoying but to too bad. Use Pauline's forms to keep track of days (I keep a form on my fridge) and in the portfolio I keep track of books, and also whenever I feel something is "portfolio worthy" I just pop it in. Try to find homeschoolers in the school district you'll be in, I find that each district is different with how strict they are and what they require. Call the school, talk to the homeschool coordinator, call co ops, or find homeschool groups to get some good info. If you have any questions, let me know.

I totally agree! It is not that bad. I just set up a portfolio before we start and then we just pop things in as we go. Annoying, but totally do-able!

Like other people said, it's really not that bad. It's just a few minutes of work to comply with the law, but there is a LOT of leeway, and mostly it's just annoying that we have to do it at all, but it's not taxing.

If you do have a choice about school district at all, ask around to see which districts are easier on the homeschoolers. Some like to try to overstep the law a bit and make things difficult.

Not hard at all- don't believe anyone who tells you to make up a 4-inch thick binder full of samples. I turn in about 2 dozen pages for my high schooler!

Go with simple objectives- they don't have to be a detailed lesson plan.

Testing- CAT. Cheap & easy.

Evaluations? Some people do it free as a ministry- but YOU pick your evaluator- it canbe anything from a brief review/interview at a park (or dnone by mail/email/phone) to an in-depth testing and writing session that goes on for a few hours.

Welcome!

We had no problem at all homeschooling in PA and two of my boys are now in nice colleges. As a bonus when you get to the college bit (if you head that direction), life can be a bit easier coming from a more regulated state. One recent issue on the college board was a NJ resident finding out they are not eligible for their state scholarships due to homeschooling. We are eligible (if you follow the rules) in PA. I've also had admissions folks tell me they needed less substantiation from us vs those in neighboring NJ (or other non-regulated states).

There are a few perks. ;)

Our evaluator(s) were also friends who homeschool their own kids. The testing helps you know where your kids are doing well and where there are gaps to be filled. Other than some paperwork, hs in PA didn't cause me to do anything else I wouldn't have done anyway.

Also, OP, I see in your sig that your oldest is six. In that case, you really don't have to worry about anything for a while longer. PA doesn't require reporting of any type (unless your child has been to first grade or higher in a school) until the beginning of the school year when your child is eight. For instance, my DS1 turns eight in a few weeks and is in second grade (at home). I have not had to report, do testing, make a portfolio, etc. for him yet, and I won't have to until next school year starts. I'll turn in paperwork for him before July 1 of this year, and I'll start his portfolio then too. Pauline's site covers all of that and is really helpful, but I thought I'd point that out. We moved here when DD was almost 5, and it was nice not to have to jump into paperwork and portfolios for a few years.

Also, OP, I see in your sig that your oldest is six. In that case, you really don't have to worry about anything for a while longer. PA doesn't require reporting of any type (unless your child has been to first grade or higher in a school) until the beginning of the school year when your child is eight. For instance, my DS1 turns eight in a few weeks and is in second grade (at home). I have not had to report, do testing, make a portfolio, etc. for him yet, and I won't have to until next school year starts. I'll turn in paperwork for him before July 1 of this year, and I'll start his portfolio then too. Pauline's site covers all of that and is really helpful, but I thought I'd point that out. We moved here when DD was almost 5, and it was nice not to have to jump into paperwork and portfolios for a few years.

I did see that on her site, thank you! That's actually later than OH, so I'm lucking out a little there.

Pauline's website is awesome, and you're right, the rules are annoying but to too bad. Use Pauline's forms to keep track of days (I keep a form on my fridge) and in the portfolio I keep track of books, and also whenever I feel something is "portfolio worthy" I just pop it in. Try to find homeschoolers in the school district you'll be in, I find that each district is different with how strict they are and what they require. Call the school, talk to the homeschool coordinator, call co ops, or find homeschool groups to get some good info. If you have any questions, let me know.

While it *is* true that some school districts give homeschoolers a bit of a hassle, the STATE law is what matters. If the school district wants you to wear a blue feathered chicken suit and follow the school district's schedule and scope/sequence and use specific forms and give information not required by the state homeschool law, it doesn't matter. The homeschool law wins.

Not every school distrrict has a "homeschool coordinator." Mine doesn't. SOmetimes, the school district doesn't have much of a clue about homeschooling. Just follow the law.

The best place for homeschool information is 1. The actual law itself (not some companie's guide to the law- those can be helpful, but most important: read the law for yourself) 2. other local homeschoolers. They can give you the inside story- and help you find co-ops or field trip groups if you're looking for that.

If you're moving to SW PA I can give you links to some co-ops and email lists.

This is my second year homsechooling (in PA) after pulling my kids from Public. I found it very helpful to read the law, print the law and keep reading the law. But, once I started, it is really not a big deal to comply with. My DD10's portfolio last year was a 1 inch binder (not even full). For her "log" i just have an Excell type calender for each semester and a key. For example: A:Easy Grammar 4....and then on each day that we used Easy Grammar I just put the letter "A".

I also continue to use the AskPauline site frequently.

Also, if you will be in Western PA there is a Homeschool Conference in March in Pittsburgh that you might want to go to. http://snsadams.wix.com/gphwa

or there is the CHAP convention in May in Harrisburg http://www.chaponline.com/2013convention/ (which I have never been to)