Menu

cle math or math mammoth

mlgbug

I was set to buy math mammoth when they have the same. now if been looking at cle. grAde 1,2 and 3'

the 2 Will be used for the rest of the year since we r out of PS, 1 I'd start next year with my boy and 3 if I decided to stick with it if I get it.....

CLE is spiral so they introduce topics in little pieces and review old concepts daily. MM will stick with one topic for a whole unit. I would highly recommend CLE. It is very teacher friendly and thorough. You will not need to add anything to it. It has drill, mental math, oral review, word problems, everything right there.

Okay my kids seem more spiral. They get bored doing the same thing over and over.

For a second grader comming from public school.... Mid year would you recommend starting grade 2 from the beginning and just going at our own pace?

Can a K child do cle 1 if they already understand basic addition-subtraction?

Okay my kids seem more spiral. They get bored doing the same thing over and over.

For a second grader comming from public school.... Mid year would you recommend starting grade 2 from the beginning and just going at our own pace?

I would skip the first light unit from grade 2 (it will review first grade) and start with LU 202. It might start off easy, but it will get you in the swing of things.

Yes, a Ker could start CLE 1. I think LU 101-103 make a really good K program. On the other hand, it moves quickly and I see no harm in waiting til next fall if you want.

What I've found with spiral vs mastery is, once they learn something do they want to keep doing it to review, or do they want to move on to something new. We use MM now after using teaching textbooks, which is spiral. With TT, they would teach a new concept, say multiply by 2. Then in the problem set that followed, you did maybe 4 or 5 problems on times 2, and the remaining 20 problems were addition and subtraction review problems. My ds9 hated it because he had already mastered addition and subtraction, so it felt like busy work. With mastery, you stay on the topic only as long as it takes to master it. Many times that only means 1 or 2 lessons per topic. then they move on to the next topic within that category. For example, measuring for 3rd grade would start with measuring to the 1/4 inch, then by cm, then move onto weight and then volume....its all measuring, but its just a lesson or two on each. MM has built in mixed review at the end of each chapter to make sure they haven't forgotten previous chapters.

Don't let mastery deceive you into thinking its drill and kill, I've found it to be quite the opposite.

I'd have your second grader take the placement test & then check out the light units for the level you are looking for to get a more exact placement. (It is easy to move quickly through light units that are mostly review.)

I would vote CLE all the way! (I've tried both) We preferred the spiral as well as knowing EXACTLY how much/what to do each day. You know which flashcards to review and how many/which problems to do. . .It drove me nuts not know with Math Mammoth. DS also got frustrated doing the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER(I'm talking tears). . .and then moving on to something else. . .but without that same kind of daily review you get with CLE. It was years ago we tried math mammoth (and abeka. . .and singapore), but we stepped into CLE at 107 and are now on 405. It's the ONE subject I don't get super tempted to flop on.

We use both programs for 2 different children. I tried MM with both DDs, and while middle DD thrived in MM, eldest DD was in tears every day, even when we backed up. MM fits our middle DD, as she loves to "manipulate" numbers in her head, and it feels like a puzzle to her every day. CLE works best for most students. It's traditional. Our last DD will do CLE, as she is not very mathy.

I've used both MM and CLE. DD needs a more spiral program, so we are using CLE. Though I love the way MM introduces the concepts, they just weren't sticking because she needed more frequent practice.

I second the recommendation to have your second grader take the placement test. It will keep her from losing time reviewing concepts she's already mastered, since you'd be basically starting a semester behind and possibly boring the child if you started at the beginning.

Another vote for CLE which works best for our dds. Although we purchased and tried MM briefly it just wasn't as good a fit. CLE is really a great open and go program with just the right amount of review as well as early intro of more advanced concepts.