Menu

Vent and Question: Nook

mommaduck

I'm getting so dang frustrated with Barnes and Noble. I have KIDS that use my nook. Yet, if anyone accidentally turns on the wi-fi, B&N will occasionally auto-download a "sample" to my nook. These samples are not appropriate...not for the kids and not even for me. (as it is, when going through the free books to see what is there, I can't have kids in the room because there is so much trash that it's not even funny...I'm not even speaking about simple historical romance, but rather the REALLY trashy stuff...50shades on down type carp).

HOW can I get them to not do any auto-sample downloads???

I would do as Chucki suggests and check your settings. If no luck, visit your store and talk to the Nook rep. I have a Nook tablet and have never had a sample of anything auto-download to my device. I do have password protected download and purchase settings, though. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with it?

And I do agree. One must sift through a ton of trash when searching for free books from B&N!

I did find this bit of advice:

You can always prevent your nook from contacting barnes & noble servers by blacklisting barnesandnoble.com and bn.com in your home router. The drawbacks (or benefits, depending on your point of view) are that you won't be able to get auto firmware updates or be able to sync with your account. You'll also have to make sure to turn on wifi only on your home network.

If you go to a cafe, it'll start connecting.

Seems maybe if you've rooted the Nook you might stop all the auto downloading or at least minimize it. Maybe this will help a bit .

Do you have it set to require a password for purchases? Is this a nook color?

On my nook color I need a password even for free books/apps.

Also nook color has a free downloadable "safe kids" app that lets them only see what you put there for them.

I'm living with friends and can't ask them to block websites. I have little ones that sometimes get hold of them and just start tapping buttons...the toddler seems to know exactly how to connect to wi-fi. The simple touch does not allow for passwording like the original nook did. I miss the original nook. There are so many things that I do not like about the Simple Touch. I will look into the possibilities of rooting it.

I would do as Chucki suggests and check your settings. If no luck, visit your store and talk to the Nook rep. I have a Nook tablet and have never had a sample of anything auto-download to my device. I do have password protected download and purchase settings, though. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with it?

And I do agree. One must sift through a ton of trash when searching for free books from B&N!

Thank you for noting this. I just did it to prevent accidental purchases (we've had two already...junk, but not trashy)

You said "accidentally." Is the WiFi ever supposed to be on? Could you just delete your WiFi information?

The samples can be archived so they won't be seen among the selections.

The wifi is never supposed to be on, but little hands get hold of it and start tapping on the screen randomly, usually turning the wifi on. I don't know if the information can be deleted as the wifi automatically searches out what the open links are. I know things can be archived, but I don't want this trash on my nook or my account, period! It is pure, scuzzy trash. The title alone is sickening.

The wifi is never supposed to be on, but little hands get hold of it and start tapping on the screen randomly, usually turning the wifi on. I don't know if the information can be deleted as the wifi automatically searches out what the open links are. I know things can be archived, but I don't want this trash on my nook or my account, period! It is pure, scuzzy trash. The title alone is sickening.

Are you talking when you're out and about, with sites without passwords? At home, they shouldn't be able to get on without a password.

At home they can get on without a password as it's an open line.

I went into the website (after calling...dangit, they always have someone that doesn't know a thing and can barely understand what is being said to them), deleted two of the three "free downloads" they gave me (I had recently reregistered my nook and one was P&P by Austen, one was contemporary fiction, and one of the the really, really trashy one).

I have changed my "communications preferences" to none. I have made my nook ask for a password before anything can be purchased. Other than that, there aren't any other safety features available. The original nook had it where you could password the nook (aka could not use it period without entering a password).

I have to password (and change regularly) my phone because of kids.

That should take care of it. In all the years I've had a nook, I've never had that happen. But I've always had a password for purchases. Are you sure someone in the household isn't browsing the store and requesting a sample? Then when you go online, it downloads. If they have, even with adding a password, you'll have samples downloading because it was specifically requested. You may want to have a chat with all in the household. Just my 2 cents.

That should take care of it. In all the years I've had a nook, I've never had that happen. But I've always had a password for purchases. Are you sure someone in the household isn't browsing the store and requesting a sample? Then when you go online, it downloads. If they have, even with adding a password, you'll have samples downloading because it was specifically requested. You may want to have a chat with all in the household. Just my 2 cents.

I don't often turn the Wi-Fi on DD the Elder's Simple Touch, but I've never seen an unrequested sample after the initial setup, much less something with a salacious title.

OP, I'd be strongly tempted to put a password on your home internet (just from a security POV, I'd *never* leave it open anyway... too easy for the malicious and for mischief makers to get into your machines).

This book is way out of anything my kids would think of (I know that may sound naive, but I'm certain on this one).

I don't often turn the Wi-Fi on DD the Elder's Simple Touch, but I've never seen an unrequested sample after the initial setup, much less something with a salacious title.

OP, I'd be strongly tempted to put a password on your home internet (just from a security POV, I'd *never* leave it open anyway... too easy for the malicious and for mischief makers to get into your machines).

I don't get a say in it (passwording the wifi). Not my house and the head of household is an IT guy, so I figure he has a reason.

From what I am reading online, this seems to be an issue specific to the ST.

I have never had this issue with my Nook Color, but dd has with her Nook Simple Touch. I don't remember what our solution was...it has been about a year since it happened. I will look at her settings and try to figure it out.

Okay, I asked my sister, and she said that it shouldn't be able to be auto downloading anything. She said someone has to click on a sample in order for it to be downloaded. She said the kids are probably tapping on the samples without you knowing about it.

Disagree. My Nook has auto-downloaded samples, so has my mom's and sister's, especially when we have updated the firmware. But, it never downloaded anything bad.

If you look at reviews for the Simple Touch (specifically), there are lots of comments like these:

One thing Barnes and Noble has not changed is the Home Screen. Barnes and Noble delights in pointing out that, unlike Kindles, Nooks don’t have ads. However, there are many ways in which Nooks act as a funnel into the Barnes and Noble store. Nowhere is that more apparent than the home screen, which advertises displays Barnes and Noble books on the bottom half, and only displays “new reads†obtained from Barnes and Noble’s e-store in the upper right corner. Needless to say, I continue to bypass the home screen in favor of the library screen, which only pushes Barnes and Noble book samples about once per month (which I then promptly archive).

Absolutely check your settings. I never had anything auto download, I also had a password on mine but typically keep wifi off.

Disagree. My Nook has auto-downloaded samples, so has my mom's and sister's, especially when we have updated the firmware. But, it never downloaded anything bad.

If you look at reviews for the Simple Touch (specifically), there are lots of comments like these:

Are you saying the sample opens automatically without anyone touching it, or are you saying that samples are automatically offered for you to open if you are interested?

Are you saying the sample opens automatically without anyone touching it, or are you saying that samples are automatically offered for you to open if you are interested?

Samples download automatically, they don't open automatically. I had to show my mom how to archive them on her Nook Color. My mom, sister and I have all had the same samples download at the same time. Again, this has mainly happened when there is update.

They show up on the home screen automatically. I think that is what the OP is talking about.

Samples download automatically, they don't open automatically. I had to show my mom how to archive them on her Nook Color. My mom, sister and I have all had the same samples download at the same time. Again, this has mainly happened when there is update.

They show up on the home screen automatically. I think that is what the OP is talking about.

Okay, I was under the impression that the samples were opening automatically. I'll ask her if there is a way to stop being offered samples.

This. They show up on the screen automatically as in my library. The picture was unmentionable and the title as well. My kids SEE that in the library. I really don't need a curious kid clicking on it.

This. They show up on the screen automatically as in my library. The picture was unmentionable and the title as well. My kids SEE that in the library. I really don't need a curious kid clicking on it.

According to my sister, they shouldn't be able to be downloaded to your library without someone clicking on them. They would show up in the Shop screen automatically, because they are something available to purchase or download for free.

She said to go into your settings and password protect your purchases, so that nothing can be downloaded without a password.

If that doesn't work, she says call 1-800-The-Book for help.

According to my sister, they shouldn't be able to be downloaded to your library without someone clicking on them. They would show up in the Shop screen automatically, because they are something available to purchase or download for free.

They neither download to the library nor show up in the shop screen. They show up on the home screen as available samples.

She said to go into your settings and password protect your purchases, so that nothing can be downloaded without a password.

If that doesn't work, she says call 1-800-The-Book for help.

Customer service was garbage. I got someone that didn't know what they were doing and couldn't understand me (I can't tell you how many times I had to spell out my email for her).

No, I have had some download samples or offers of samples INTO my library, even before the kids had access to it. To be honest, I don't like how the shop feature nor the "suggestions" at the bottom of the home page are set up. I generally don't like their suggestions, find some of their suggestions offensive, and don't like that they are right there.