Menu

Monthly Book Club Voting

Monthly Book Club Selections  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to read? (Pick 3 or fewer).

• Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyefsky
    • Unlikely Pilgrimage of the Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
    • Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain
    • Abundance: The Future is Beter Than You Think by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler
    • Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting by Pamela Druckerman
    • Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
    • Bringing Up Bebe/Tiger Mother (compare and contrast)
    • Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
    • Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond
    • Guns, Germs, and Steel/Collapse (compare and contrast)
    • The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
    • The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
    • The Fellowship of the Ring (LOTR #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien
    • Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv
    • Seward: Lincoln's Indespensible Man by Walter Stahr
    • Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World by Rita Golden Gelman
    • The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    • The Cider House Rules by John Irving

Here is the time to vote on books for the nascent monthly book club.

PLEASE VOTE ONLY IF YOU PLAN TO PARTICIPATE IN THE MONTHLY BOOK CLUB.

Please make 3 or fewer choices. Note that the compare and contrast books were listed both separately or together. I also listed the LOTR series, but I also gave the option of the just the first book in the series.

The books listed in the poll are those that were mentioned by name and seconded by another member. I apologize if I overlooked any worthy books. It was not intentional.

Today is Tuesday, January 2nd, 2013. Voting will remain open for one week.

By the end of that time, we will have our choices for February, March, and April. The most popular book will be chosen for February. The second most popular will be our pick for March. And the third most popular book will be our April selection. This will give you a few weeks to request books from the library, purchase them from a local bookseller, or order them online.

We hope that even if the selections are not your specific favorite, you will feel free to drop in to read for the months with books that appeal to you.

If a choice is more than 400 pages, we will adjust the time to reflect 100pages/week. We all have very busy lives, and I think that 100pages/week is the maximum quantity that I can dedicate to this project. I know I am not the only one.

On February 1st, I will try to start a thread with the title: MBC Feb13 [name of book].

I went ahead and read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye by Rachel Joyce and Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua and liked both of them and they were both fairly easy reads, I read both last week. So, I voted for other ones, although I am willing to discuss the others.

And the winners are........

February: Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv (16 votes)

March: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (16 votes)

April: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8 votes)

If you really don't want to read one of these books, then skip that month and join us in the months that you have interest. Our time if too valuable to be reading stuff that we don't want to read.

-----------------------------------------------------------

PM me if I messed up in the vote count. I apologize in advance for any mistakes I have made.

Yes, I know there was a tie between Last Child and Quiet. I made an executive decision. (I had already started reading Last Child because it was ahead in the voting a few days before when I went to the library).

Watch for the new thread around February 1, 2013. It will be in the form of "MBC Feb13 Last Child in the Woods."

Start your own personal lists of which books to recommend for May-June-July (if we get that far). We'll do another voting thread in April.

I'm going to admit to being unwilling to read Last Child in the Woods. It is just too irrelevant to me. My teenagers were raised in the woods and I don't have any more to raise :). I put a hold on Quiet at my local library though, so hopefully I'll get it in time to be ready for March!

Thank you Duckens for organizing! I'm looking forward to joining in.

Oh, I'm sorry--I voted in your poll before reading the first post. :blushing:

Let me just say I recently read the Last Child in the Woods book, and found it enormously interesting. It sparked an interest in forest schools. Here are two links you might enjoy when you get to that part.

Cedarsong --a totally outdoor nature-based preschool on Vashon Is in Washinton state.

A School in Britain with a Forest Component--this video is so inspiring to me, and I really wish more kids had this opportunity.

Hope you enjoy the book!

For the record, I think when we begin discussion, we will move to the CHAT board.

*I didn't know it was down there! Duh!!!!*

At that time, I will try to put an announcement on this board at that time. We hope that we can get up and running down there soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have a quick question about the book club (which I am very excited about). I got Last Child in the Woods from the library today.

Are we supposed to read our 100 pages a week before February starts or during the month of February?

Thanks in advance!

Ok...it took awhile to get the books in (I live in Japan) but they are here and I am ready, YAY! I am also reading Simplicity Parenting and it is really good so far, getting out the CLUTTER of our lives and our children's lives and ENJOYING the here and now and finding simplicity really is better. It is by Kim John Payne, M.Ed with Lisa M. Ross, you should check it out.

So, we are far too easily distracted. I am finding myself crying at portions already. :) My husband has called me "tree hugger" for years and I suppose reading this solidifies that suspicion. Ok, I will stop discussing until it's time, I am excited to see what others are going to maybe start implementing or changing even in our homeschooling habits after reading this.

Happy reading all! :)

Gag! This book is eye opening. I grew up in a rural area, worked on a farm, studied Forestry in college. My kids are urban through and through :-( So far this week we have learned about trespassing, beavers, moss, that tree branches snap back to hit your sister if you aren't careful....

I'm ashamed of myself :-(. So glad I'm reading this book while I still have time to fix my short comings!

We'll be trespassing a lot more :-)

BTW this is my first ever book club, if there are unwritten rules feel free to write them down for me!

Oh good; I'm glad the book club is happening! I hadn't heard anything about it since the initial discussions back in December, so I decided to check on it again. Looking forward to our discussion! ...I have one week to read the book! Eek!

Please give directions about how to do the chat thing, when the time comes. Some of us (ME) are unfamiliar (clueless) with it; thank you!

• 10 months later...