Menu

Renting house with carpet and allergy question

Rebecca

It is Saturday- and I can't call the allergist.

People with experience with allergies and asthma:

Do you think it would be okay to rent a home (probably for a year) with carpet (a lot of carpet- but especially bedroom carpet)

if: you have child(ren) with allergies and asthma

AND

the carpets have been professionally chemically cleaned before you move in?

Does anyone have any BTDT experience?

Thank you.

Rebecca

we rent a house with carpet. Not a lot of carpet, just living room and master bedroom. I have the worst of the dust allergies, and the carpet is in my room. I've been able to stay pretty stable with just covers on the matresses, pillows, allergy duvet and vacuuming a lot. That being said, it depends on the person.

Personally, I'd avoid it if I could. I found out about my allergies after we moved in and they got way worse. My DS is also allergic to dust mites, but he has no carpet, and he always seems fine. Next house will hopefully be ours, but if I have to rent again, I'll avoid carpet. There is also things like mold in carpet, especially that's been cleaned, that can cause allergy symptoms.

I'm allergic to dust, and I do better in a house with carpets. That said, it would depend on the carpet. We rented a house once and had to move out after 2 1/2 months, because the carpet was so old and nasty, my son and I kept getting sick. I think there was mold under the carpet. As others have said, too, it would depend on your kid. You know your child, and you know what triggers the asthma.

If I did it I would get a HEPA filter. We put this one in a carpeted family room in our old house and it made a huge difference for my son (dust allergies among other things). He was still on allergy medication but we've moved to a home with hard flooring throughout and he still needs allergy meds. I have not noticed any significant difference from that house to this one. I do think how a particular child would react would depend on that child's allergy sensitivity and the particular carpet.

It depends on kid and carpet. We bought a house that was fully carpeted. We had to pull all carpet in the basement due to mold allergy, but kids have been able to tolerate carpet in bedrooms (where only the dust mite allergy is at play). We will eventually replace all of the flooring, but it was $15,000 to do the first two floors of the house...we need about another $7K to do the upstairs.