Menu

Bank recommendations?

mommymilkies

I am done with BofAmerica. I am rural, so I was looking for a new bank. I was trying to avoid the small local bank because I need one with these things:

1. An ipad and/or android app

2. National reach-being able to go to an ATM in another city or state

3. Deposits at ATMs

4. No overdraft fees or credit card back up

5. Being able to split up the account for an envelope system would be fantastic

6. No maintenance fees

I'm also looking for somewhere to have a savings account for each kid. Preferably one that gets interest but doesn't have a minimum to open or maintain the account. I want this to be for my kids to add money to, and so it will probably be under $100 most of the time.

Guest inoubliable

USAA. No ATM deposits, but if you've got a UPS store near you, you're good. LOVE them. We dropped BoA years ago in favor of USAA and have been very happy.

ING Savings are where we have our kids' savings at. We waited to open at one of their 4th of July specials, though. ING has recently merged with Capital One. They swear this won't change a thing over there, but it's worth knowing about if you have a beef with CapOne. We also have very small (laughable, really) savings going on at SmartyPig.

1. An ipad and/or android app

2. National reach-being able to go to an ATM in another city or state

3. Deposits at ATMs

4. No overdraft fees or credit card back up

6. No maintenance fees

Wells Fargo and Citibank satisfies the above criteria. For Wells Fargo, I think you might need to maintain a minimum of $1,500 for checking. For Citibank, hubby direct deposit his pay there so we did not need to maintain a minimum.

I have no problems with the iPod app for Wells Fargo. I have not tried the Citibank iPod app. I do cheque and cash deposits at both banks' ATMs.

We can use our Citibank and Wells Fargo cards in Asia at their banks. Hubby has used Citibank in Canada.

My kids accounts are In Trust For accounts and did not need a minimum.

Not to hijack but is there other options besides a checking account to pay bills? Like a reloadable debit card?

Not sure how urban or rural where you are. We could pay our utilities bills at some supermarkets customer service counters with cash or debit/credit card. We could pay our internet bill at a nearby customer service center or pay online using a credit or debit card.

USAA looks great. We are not ex-military, and the nearest deposit place is an hour away, but I'll look into it. Citibank is pure and utter evil. I hate them with a loathing that torches my soul. But I'll check out Chase and WF. We already have loan accounts through them (house, car), so that should have been an obvious place for me to look!

I think ING looks good for the kids. Thanks!

USAA looks great. We are not ex-military, and the nearest deposit place is an hour away, but I'll look into it. Citibank is pure and utter evil. I hate them with a loathing that torches my soul. But I'll check out Chase and WF. We already have loan accounts through them (house, car), so that should have been an obvious place for me to look!

I think ING looks good for the kids. Thanks!

Chase may be okay. I think Wells Fargo is just as evil as Citibank.

Actually I'd rank BoA, WF and CB as the top three evil banks in the nation.