Menu

Help! The pants I was mending have gotten stuck in the feed dog!

Jean in Newcastle

I had this happen when I was making knit nightgowns for dd. I ended up ruining one section because I couldn't get it out properly, but the other time, I took the plate off and was able to pry the fabric out. It was a bit stretched, but it came out fine. I hope it works out for you!

FYI - Somebody recommended I use a type of tissue paper under the fabric next time. It worked great (but getting all the bits of paper out was a pain).

First unplug the machine.

Cut the top thread and take off the presser foot and needle.

Then using the handwheel try moving the feed dogs and remove the plate. If you can get any movement at all, you need to get the bobbin threads cut and then you should be able to get them loose.

I had this happen when I was making knit nightgowns for dd. I ended up ruining one section because I couldn't get it out properly, but the other time, I took the plate off and was able to pry the fabric out. It was a bit stretched, but it came out fine. I hope it works out for you!

FYI - Somebody recommended I use a type of tissue paper under the fabric next time. It worked great (but getting all the bits of paper out was a pain).

You can usually work them gently loose, but the odds are good that the dog has chewed holes in them.

On mine, it would have totally hosed up the tension thingy too when it did this..... :cursing:

OK - we got the fabric out. The fabric looks fine.

• 1 month later...

A couple times when I was sewing really difficult fabrics like really thin stretchy knits I would put a piece of wax paper under it. Tissue or plain printer paper works too, but I found with wax paper that once it was sewn I just had to fold half of the paper back and forth along the stitch line a few times and it would tear cleanly off without having any stray pieces.

Wendy

Generation Gap! :laugh: :auto:

Now, now--I have a sewing machine (my mom sewed all my dresses for a looong time) but I find it daunting...it's been in the attic of every house we've lived in, because the tension is screwed up and it defeats me, just looking at it!

But I lol'd at your comment!

Now, now--I have a sewing machine (my mom sewed all my dresses for a looong time) but I find it daunting...it's been in the attic of every house we've lived in, because the tension is screwed up and it defeats me, just looking at it!

But I lol'd at your comment!

When DD was a baby, I hauled out my old sewing machine and made patterns from Hanna Andersson baby clothes and beefed up her wardrobe. Then the machine broke. I bought a new one that I have never used. Last week, DS3 hauled it out of my closet and brought it downstairs for me, so I can make a hoodie for our dog.

DS3 had no idea what it was! It reminded me of the time I set up the ironing board when the boys were in Cub Scouts. They thought it was a portable kitchen counter. When I took out the iron, they were truly mystified.

Anyway, my goal today is to learn how to use this "new" machine. It has all sorts of attachments my old one didn't have. The best part is that it has a blind hemmer.

After that, DD wants me to make her a prom dress. I said I would. I didn't mention that the only things I've sewn are curtains and baby clothes.

I was lost too LOL! At first I thought you meant your pants were stuck in the dog food.....I was like, what the heck? :laugh:

Haha, this is what I thought, too! I'm 49 and I have used my sewing machine several times to make curtains or comforter duvets, but I didn't know what a feed dog was.

Sigh. I never claimed to be domestic. :D