Menu

Saxon Hake Grammar 6 - way too similar to 5?

I have always used Saxon math, so I'm used to each book reviewing the previous book for a good long while, but i was really surprised to see that my new Saxon.Hake Grammar 6 seems to contain very little in the way of new concepts. Out of 107 lessons, they wait til lesson 77 to get around to the question mark, lesson 97 for the apostrophe...this is all stuff covered in the Grade 5 book. I'm really wondering if it might be better to skip this book and go right to Grade 7. I love this grammar program, but I have to say I'm very disappointed that this entire book feels like a repeat of the last one.

Another example...lesson 102 in Grade 7 is interjections and how to diagram them. She just did that in lesson 112 at the end of the Grade 6 book! So there's a full year before getting back to that concept.

I'm probably just going to go with it, since I don't want to give her material written for much older students, but I did schedule it so we're skipping the first 36 lessons, enabling us to have Grammar 3 days per week instead of 4, which she'll appreciate.

Anyone else find this to be the case with Saxon Hake Grammar? Has anyone skipped the Grade 6 book entirely? It certainly feels like you'd be able to from here.

Kind of wondering myself how the levels compare. DD is doing Hake 6 this year and I worried that 7 would be too similar (and bore my language hating dd to tears).

EKS above went from 5 to 8, so I'm not worried anymore about skipping from 5 to 7. It's my guess that you'd be able to go from 6 to 8 without any problems. It seems to me that each book is a retread of the previous book, with a few new things throw in, and more complex sentences to work with.

• 2 weeks later...

Because I tend to cram a lot of things onto my dcs plates, I see the value in doing a Grammar curriculum one year & a writing one the next. It is helpful to me to know that I can have them cover Grammar 5, just do grammar-as-part-of-writing the next year, and then go straight into Grammar 7 the following year. That's how I look at it, anyway. (And, until I know better, I'm not listening to SWB's advice to do grammar all the way through high school. *insert smiley with fingers in ears*) :ph34r:

I am :lol: over this thread because it came up in my search for Hake info. I am thinking of switching from ViE because Hake is so much cheaper. Anyway, ViE is the same way, LOTS of repetition, to the point that you think you could skip every third level and be fine. But I think this kind of grammar instruction perfectly fits SWB's "nibbled to death by ducks" philosophy. Do a little, every day, for years and you will own it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering the point of skipping ahead in grammar? My kids have had a lot of grammar at this point, but we just keep plugging along to keep it fresh. Should I be looking at it a different way?

This is how I view it, but my son needs lots of practice with grammar. I guess if I wanted to be done with grammar in one more year, I'd skip from 5 to 8, but otherwise, what's the point?

There is very little new information introduced in each year of Hake, but my son gets better and better at applying the concepts. He is now considered our grammar guru and who would have ever expected that?! He's used Hake 5, and 6 and now he's doing 7. We will do Hake 8 next year and then I will buy 2 extra workbooks, letting him work on them over two years at a time through high school since there is no Hake for high school. I think keeping the concepts fresh is important for him. Of course, not every child needs that.