Menu

Knitters: A question about the next step....

Juniper

Have you joined Ravelry yet? When i was just starting out, I would browse the patterns there and look for ones that I thought I could probably do. You can choose a type (scarf, hat, etc.), and then along the left side of the screen, you can select criteria for patterns. I always chose "easy," "knitting" and "free." I found that with each new pattern I did, I learned a ton, and each one helped my knitting progress.

Circular needles can help you knit larger round things, like the body of a sweater. You can also use them just like you'd use straight needles, where you don't join the stitches in the round to make a big circle of knitting but instead turn the needles over and go back the other way, just like you would with straight needles. This can help take a lot of strain off of your wrists and arms because some of the weight of the project can be resting on your lap instead of all hanging off a crowded, straight needle.

Yep! I first started with straight needles making washcloths. Then discovered hats with circular needles and dpn(doulble point needles). Now I am pondering learning to knit socks. Love working with circular needles! Oh, and Youtube is great for learning new stitches! Enjoy your new craft!

Just a word of warning on hats using circulars. Make sure the circulars are small enough that you're not inadvertently stretching the piece out too much. Also, be aware that for most hats, you'll need to start and end with double-pointed needles--and getting used to those is another challenge. It felt like I was trying to knit with a porcupine the first time I tried it.

Knitting looms (like the Knifty Knitter) do not require a knowledge of knitting... but they are FUN!

I'm currently working on scarf--- just finished one for dd.

Hats take an hour or so once you get into the rhythm of it...

There are more advanced patterns that people with some traditional knitting skills can go for.

If you want to keep knitting the traditional way-- move on to circular needles! Start with a hat and then go for the socks!

If you can knit and purl, you have mastered everything you need to. Find a project you want to make* and get the tools and yarn to make it! Cables are easy, as are bobbles and most lace. Turning the heel of a sock feels clever every.single.time but is not difficult. And, no matter what pattern you choose, it is likely that there are stitch explanations in it.

*I do not recommend a psychotically complex lace shawl. This may only be because I am ripping back the same d**n lace shawl for the fourth time. I have been knitting for 30-odd years... It's just fiddly and I don't pay enough attention.

I agree with the suggestion to choose what you want to knit next. Then you'll know what equipment to get. Hats are a great project for circs. I knitted my first hat on straights and then seamed it. Bleah--my seaming was awful and I learned I hate seaming. Hats on circs are so much nicer.

But I'm going to suggest you try a cowl. You would need a 16" needle for a regular, closer-fitting (not big, loose) cowl. And you wouldn't have to switch to dpn's to finish (or start, if you're doing top-down). Tons of free patterns on Ravelry. Enjoy!

I agree with the suggestion to choose what you want to knit next. Then you'll know what equipment to get. Hats are a great project for circs. I knitted my first hat on straights and then seamed it. Bleah--my seaming was awful and I learned I hate seaming. Hats on circs are so much nicer.

But I'm going to suggest you try a cowl. You would need a 16" needle for a regular, closer-fitting (not big, loose) cowl. And you wouldn't have to switch to dpn's to finish (or start, if you're doing top-down). Tons of free patterns on Ravelry. Enjoy!

I wanted to try a cowl next! Thanks!

I just choose a pattern and pick up what I need to get it done. I'm collecting a lot of stuff this way, plus I'm learning a lot. :)

I still haven't used circular needles for anything. I knit hats, gloves, socks, etc. on double pointed needles instead.

This is the way I've been collecting stuff, too.

I did get circulars (40") for a very large cowl I made, and I like circulars, but I'm partial to DPNs.

Don't I need 3-4 DPN's at a time?

Yes. They usually come in sets of 4 or 5. When my mil was a knitter dpn's came only in sets of 4--3 to make the circle and the 4th to knit with. Now they usually come in sets of 5. How many you use will depend on how big your circle is and how comfortable it is to knit. For example, I usually knit the cuff of socks with 4 needles but then switch to 5 for the foot portion. I just find it more comfortable that way. For hats I usually knit bottom-up so I start on a circ then switch to dpn's, usually 4.

If you can knit and purl, you have mastered everything you need to. Find a project you want to make* and get the tools and yarn to make it! Cables are easy, as are bobbles and most lace. Turning the heel of a sock feels clever every.single.time but is not difficult. And, no matter what pattern you choose, it is likely that there are stitch explanations in it.

*I do not recommend a psychotically complex lace shawl. This may only be because I am ripping back the same d**n lace shawl for the fourth time. I have been knitting for 30-odd years... It's just fiddly and I don't pay enough attention.

Yup. Don't go crazy buying stuff if you don't have a specific purpose in mind for it. You're collection will accumulate over time.

There are, in my mind, two exceptions. One is buying an interchangeable circular needle set (still want one of these) and buying needles at thrift store.

Well, it all depends on what you want to knit. I love love love my circulars needles and don't use anything else - you can knit flat using circs, too. Agreeing with my2boysteacher - a hat is a great first project using circulars.

Are you on Ravelry? http://www.ravelry.com/

I did find myself going back to straight needles (otherwise I love dpns or circs) for my current project. I'm knitting one of those trendy ruffles scarves with the mesh novelty yarn. It's tolerable to knit it with straights but miserable with circs.