Menu

Why don't my kids love learning to read like they do early math????

Reya

I understand why DS hated the early process of learning to read--he's dyslexic, and it was really hard for him.

DD is NOT dyslexic, and I put her interest in reading on par with "toleration." I've tried a bunch of programs, just to spice it up, and nothing grabs her. I bribe her with math to get her to work hard in reading.

They both loved math [sorry, originally wrote reading] and always begged for extra.

Is it because early math is so much easier? I mean, seriously, she's beginning a first grade math program without ever having been taught K math, and she's fine. We're doing K-level reading, and she's just not having fun.

I know that everything doesn't HAVE to be fun, but it if CAN be, I prefer it. I taught two of the neighbor's kids to read, too, and the bright one looooooooooooved it and even the moderately MR one got some enthusiasm for easy, familiar things after a while. I also tutored another little girl who had a lot of reading hatred build up, and she didn't exactly love it, but she stopped hating it very quickly and was at least okay with it, which is great considering what she started with.

Are my kids just weird? :p Or is there same great magic link to make learning to read fun for everybody?

I hate to admit it, but I loathed the "learning" part of reading, too....

I think each of those subjects just click with kids at different moments. My kids were basically the opposite when they were five. They found math really, really hard and learning to read much more fun.

I know different people have differences of opinion about this, but I personally think that a huge percentage of learning this stuff is just about when a child's brain is ready to do it and the teaching is secondary. I would say keep teaching, but be patient. :)

I think reading enjoyment will come in time. Dd taught herself to read early but just never cared about books until she turned 7. She would reluctantly read when asked to, but she certainly never enjoyed it. (I think another issue with her was that she was afraid I would stop reading to her if she showed interest in reading to herself. It's just a theory, but I've always kind of wondered about it.) Finally last summer she discovered Diana Wynne Jones and Harry Potter and was just about eaten alive by the reading bug. It just takes the right book or author.

Now, if someone could reassure me that the "math bug" will eventually bite my kids, I would feel a lot better!

Learning to read is hard work for my middle son. He hates it. I do 10 minute sessions, so it's more tolerable. Math, otoh, comes easily to him. He's not working hard at his first grade math program, but he's working hard for K level reading.

My oldest loved reading, bit I never taught him to read. He figured it out on his own. My youngest likes reading if it's kept short and he doesn't have to work too hard. First Bob book? Easy and fun. Ask much more? Not fun anymore. But he's 3, so I don't expect him to want to work, and there is no reason to make him work at it. Math hadn't really clicked with him yet (adding and subtracting, at least - he can count just fine), so he doesn't enjoy math that isn't just counting. He likes doing what he knows how to do already. My oldest was the same way when preschool age, though he could add and subtract within 5 at this age. Youngest is more of a language kid, I think.

Because learning to read takes forever and you can't do anything with it until you know quite a lot? Maths, on the other hand, can be fiddled around with long before they memorise their maths facts.

I think this must be it. The other kids I taught who loved it were thrilled at being able to read single words. DD? Does. Not.CARE.

Well,

my (homeschooled) brother didn't care and refused to even try, either. He didn't like math, either, so that wasn't a carrot. This went on until he was about 9, at which point he found something that he desperately wanted to read and everyone else refused to read to him because they were bored with the topic. It took him a week to hit grade level and a month to hit college-level.

But he had been constantly exposed to elevated language through read-alouds and discussions, etc. Perhaps one of the reasons he refused to try was because he was the youngest and people would always read to him because "I can't"?

With one of mine it was the opposite. He loved learning to read and resisted math. The other enjoyed both. I suspect this is more about natural bent, personality, etc. than anything else. Sometimes, with that resister, I wish I would have just tabled math until he was older. I think it would have been better had I waited and wouldn't have hurt a single thing. I'm certain the same could be said for reading, writing, etc. for other young children.

When my kids were young, before they could read, I would allow them reading time in the evening before bed (in their own bed). They would bring stacks of picture books to "read" during this time. This free time to explore books, without instruction, molded their reading behavior and fed their interest to read. Picture books, nonfiction and fiction are just fabulous, so much can be gained by just enjoying the story through pictures-it's fun:)