Menu

Dr. Hive...question regarding prediabetes, high cholesterol

MamaAkins

I know all of these things are probably related. In September, I had a physical. My blood pressure was high (180's/94), I was overweight (180 pounds, 5'7"), my a1c came back at 5.8; my thyroid was really out of whack (I had cancer when I was 19 and the radiation caused my thyroid not to function properly). This was all the result of having 4 children and not taking proper care of myself for a number of years. Since mid-September, I have lost 23 pounds (now at 157, with a goal weight of 145-150); I have been exercising 2-4 times per week (usually 3 miles on the treadmill, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less). My dr started me on a diuretic for the blood pressure. When I went back in for a lab check last week, my blood pressure was down (128/80), so she had me discontinue the diuretic. My thyroid levels are now good, after being on levothyroxene for 12 weeks. However, my cholesterol came back unchanged, as did my a1c. I was very disappointed. She wants me to come back in in 2 months (mid-February). What else can I do to lower my a1c and cholesterol. I only drink water (no soda, coffee, tea, alcohol). I have begun taking magnesium (Natural Calm) 1 tsp per day and fish oil 2x per day. Can you recommend a good brand for fish oil (nothing that will taste fishy!). I am also willing to take niacin (please recommend a specific brand). I'd like to be able to order from Vitacost, if possible. Any other suggestions?

I know I need to lower carbs. I would love specific suggestions....book suggestions welcome too. I read so much conflicting information. If my numbers are not better in February, I am going to ask my dr for a referral to a nutritionist. I would say that we eat fairly well. (Omega-3 eggs, natural beef from a local farm, hormone-free chicken, lots of veggies--asparagus, broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, salads).

Thanks for your help!

I know all of these things are probably related. In September, I had a physical. My blood pressure was high (180's/94), I was overweight (180 pounds, 5'7"), my a1c came back at 5.8; my thyroid was really out of whack (I had cancer when I was 19 and the radiation caused my thyroid not to function properly). This was all the result of having 4 children and not taking proper care of myself for a number of years. Since mid-September, I have lost 23 pounds (now at 157, with a goal weight of 145-150); I have been exercising 2-4 times per week (usually 3 miles on the treadmill, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less). My dr started me on a diuretic for the blood pressure. When I went back in for a lab check last week, my blood pressure was down (128/80), so she had me discontinue the diuretic. My thyroid levels are now good, after being on levothyroxene for 12 weeks. However, my cholesterol came back unchanged, as did my a1c. I was very disappointed. She wants me to come back in in 2 months (mid-February). What else can I do to lower my a1c and cholesterol. I only drink water (no soda, coffee, tea, alcohol). I have begun taking magnesium (Natural Calm) 1 tsp per day and fish oil 2x per day. Can you recommend a good brand for fish oil (nothing that will taste fishy!). I am also willing to take niacin (please recommend a specific brand). I'd like to be able to order from Vitacost, if possible. Any other suggestions?

I know I need to lower carbs. I would love specific suggestions....book suggestions welcome too. I read so much conflicting information. If my numbers are not better in February, I am going to ask my dr for a referral to a nutritionist. I would say that we eat fairly well. (Omega-3 eggs, natural beef from a local farm, hormone-free chicken, lots of veggies--asparagus, broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, salads).

Thanks for your help!

Congratulations on all your hard work. I can't see where you listed your cholesterol level. Your A1C isn't that bad, really. It falls within the normal range for most labs. The best way to lower it (besides exercise, which you are doing) is to lower the carbs at each meal, combine them with fats/protein, and to make sure you don't eat closer than 2 hours apart. You might also want to invest in a glucose meter to see how your body is handling carbs. FWIW, my A1C was 6.1 and now that I am low carbing it is 5.7/5.8. My doctor is completely happy.

I think lower carbs is the key. I was diagnosed diabetic a month ago. My a1c was 9.4 (gulp!), which my doctor said meant my blood sugar was likely averaging around 250 (gulp again!) Anyway, I immediately stopped eating grains, sugars, starchy veggies, and fruits. I walk 3-4 times a week. In a month's time my glucose has dropped to right around 100 (I do take 500mg Metformin, too).

However, anytime I've eaten the smallest amount of wheat or starchy veggies, my glucose shoots right back up to the high 100s. At the moment, I just can't tolerate it. I'm hoping to add some fruit back into my diet once my blood sugar has been stable a while.

I read The Diabetes Solution, and though I don't follow it completely, I've heard lots of people say good things about it.

Jenn, I want to commend you for taking your health in hand and working so hard to make changes. I am sure it isn't easy, especially with 4 kids.

I have not had the same amount of health challenges as you have, but for what it's worth, when I started running regularly (but my diet was unchanged) my cholesterol dropped 60 points. It's what keeps me running, even when I reeeeaallly don't want to. When you say you're on the treadmill, are you walking or running? Maybe bumping that aspect of your program can help.

Best wishes to you!

For me the key to lowering cholesterol has been to nix sugar totally and drastically reduce grains. The grains I do eat are whole grains. I still eat some starchy veggies, like sweet potatoes and carrots, a couple of times a week in moderate portions. I do still eat fresh fruit too, usually two servings a day. Too much healthy stuff there to skip and I love fruit. I do have an occasional piece of dark chocolate - I think I'm addicted to it!

I have found some good recipes in Suzanne Somers' books. And from some of the paleo/primal websites too - particularly new ways to cook veggies and a few new main dish/proteins.

I really think carb control and exercise is the answer. My bp went from 100 mg of meds a day to 25 mg per day. I have a green smoothie every day and put raw ginger and garlic in it. When i don't do this my bp creeps back up.

I eat very little grain and what I do eat is almost always whole grain and gluten free. I bought almond flour and Elanas Pantry has awesome recipes. I hope to get my numbers back this week. My cholesterol tends to run high so I am hoping that my diet changes have made a drastic improvement. If you want you can PM me at the end of the week to see if my results are in yet. i really am anxious to see how the numbers have changed! I'd like to say I will post them when I get them but I never count on my memory. :(

Jenn, I want to commend you for taking your health in hand and working so hard to make changes. I am sure it isn't easy, especially with 4 kids.

I have not had the same amount of health challenges as you have, but for what it's worth, when I started running regularly (but my diet was unchanged) my cholesterol dropped 60 points. It's what keeps me running, even when I reeeeaallly don't want to. When you say you're on the treadmill, are you walking or running? Maybe bumping that aspect of your program can help.

Best wishes to you!

Thanks for the encouragement! On the treadmill, I am doing a combination of walking (4.3mph), jogging 5.2 mph, and short spurts of running (5.7-6.0mph). I usually go for 30-45 mins.

Congratulations on all your hard work. I can't see where you listed your cholesterol level. Your A1C isn't that bad, really. It falls within the normal range for most labs. The best way to lower it (besides exercise, which you are doing) is to lower the carbs at each meal, combine them with fats/protein, and to make sure you don't eat closer than 2 hours apart. You might also want to invest in a glucose meter to see how your body is handling carbs. FWIW, my A1C was 6.1 and now that I am low carbing it is 5.7/5.8. My doctor is completely happy.

Heading out to take my dd to dance class, but I will look up and post my cholesterol levels when I return!

I really think carb control and exercise is the answer.

This has been the key for my dh in reducing his blood sugars. His cholesterol is still around 230 but it never reduced with meds. His numbers are actually slightly better off meds and with trying to eat lower carb and increase exercise.

My dh had a bad reaction to niacin; it was in his cholesterol med. My mom had a similar reaction; not sure what med she was taking. It made them feel hot, their skin turned red and itchy.

I have no recommendations for fish oil; dh just uses the big box store brand which probably isn't the best. But do look for enteric-coated; it's supposed to be non-fish-burp-ish.

Sorry it took me so long....here are my cholesterol numbers:

Total Cholesterol: 252

Triglycerides 184

HDL Cholesterol 50

VLDL 37

LDL 165

LDL/HDL Ratio 3.3

My A1c was 5.8

Glucose serum (fasting) was 105 in September. It was 96 in July.

Vitamin D was a bit low (28), but is on the rise since I'm now taking supplements.

Any thoughts on these numbers?

There are others on this board who know a whole lot more about cholesterol/trigs than I do. But I wanted to mention that when dh started eating lower carb his trigs went below 100. He had a high of 1000 and meds only brought it down to 500. He quit the meds, cut out simple carbs/starches, and upped his exercise. His trigs and blood sugars went down to normal ranges. His cholesterol is down just slightly; it would still be considered high but it has never been in the *normal* range even on meds.