Menu

How can i give money to someone completely anonymously?

Halcyon

I think if you do a money order from the post office you can leave your name off. Then mail the money order to the recipient from somewhere you are not. Or mail to someone else and have them mail it.

We've done this type thing and wanted to stay very anonymous. My pilot husband would drop envelopes all over the country so people had no idea who it came from.

Do they attend a church? If you know which one, maybe they could take care of it. Of course the church would know, but I don't think they would go against your wishes if you asked them not to say who it was from. I know I have been blessed through my church, and it is impossible to get any info out of them about who did it. :)

No they are not church goers. But thanks!

I think if you do a money order from the post office you can leave your name off. Then mail the money order to the recipient from somewhere you are not. Or mail to someone else and have them mail it.

We've done this type thing and wanted to stay very anonymous. My pilot husband would drop envelopes all over the country so people had no idea who it came from.

But they would know which town the money came from, right? via the postmark? if she knows the town, she will know it's me. Hmmm. Thinking......

eta oh i see what you're saying. This might work. I want this money to get to them this week if possible, so not sure i can send it to someone else and then have it sent to them in time, kwim?

I was thinking mail them a gift card... either a Visa card as was mentioned, or a gift card to a local grocery store, or WalMart/Target where they could get gifts and/or necessities.

I see what you're saying about the postmark. WalMart has an option online where they can mail a gift card directly to the recipient... perhaps you could see if you can send it anonymously? Or they have a gift card that can be e-mailed... you could set up a throwaway e-mail account and send from there, if you have their e-mail address??

I think you would need help if you were using the post office. If you used Fed Ex it would be less obvious (because you could put whatever you want as the return address), but they would be able to look up the tracking number and figure out where it originated, if they were that curious.

Any ideas? Besides dropping off a wad of cash on their front door, which I don't want to do LOL.

It's hard! I've done it a lot, but try to do it in person and slip it somewhere where I know that the person will look, but hopefully not look before I can get away.

Do you have a reason to see this person in person? Try to be sneaky. If you can't, then you could send a money order, but you might have to fill in the "from" part today. Not sure.

I think you have to be careful about some options. If I got an email from address I didn't recognize saying I had been sent a gift card, I would probably either delete it without reading or assume it was a scam and delete it. Same goes for if I received a prepaid visa in the mail. I'd think it was some kind of scam. Maybe if you include a (typed) note saying something like "from a friend who wants to remain anonymous" that would work.

You can enclose the envelope in a larger one, mail to to the postmaster at Bethlehem, CT 06751 and they'll open it, postmark it Bethlehem, and send it on its way. No additional charge, but you'd probably want to include a note with your gift card so the recipient will know it's legit.

There are other towns that do this, but I only have experience with this one.