Menu

knitting with needles or loom thing?

starwarsmomma

At the boys' homeschool book club today, I spent the entire time staring rudely at the gal at the table who actually knit a hat super-fast. I wasn't trying to be rude, just studying her and trying to learn. :laugh:

She used this round loom thing. I've seen them in the craft store, but never have seen them in use or what they can make.

I had already been thinking for several months of learning to knit.... I have a niece who wants to learn too, so maybe her and I can learn together.

A few things though-- I have HORRIBLE hand-eye coordination. My hands rarely listen to my brain... they're always doing their own thing. My grandmother tried to teach me to crochet and gave up and literally drank until she got drunk. (NOT kidding.... it was very frustrating to her. LOL)

But I REALLY REALLY need to do something for me. Somehow I have given up everything I used to do... I have nothing for me anymore...

I don't have time to sew.. I need something I can pick up and do and be able to put down when needed...

For those that knit, which would be better for a beginner-- knitting needles or a loom?

And do you have any good beginner supplies or kits or suggestions?

I think loom knitting is easier to learn than knitting with needles, although I learned to knit with needles first, so I understood what I was trying to accomplish on the loom (what the stitches looked like). I actually got the loom as a starter thing for my dd6 - seems to be more forgiving wrt hand-eye coordination than knitting. All you need to sort out on the loom is how to wrap the yarn, while with needles you need to know how to wrap the yarn *plus* manipulate the needles and tension the yarn - the learning curve is higher, imo.

ETA: Knitting with needles is a lot more versatile though - I think looms are pretty limited in what sorts of items you can make.

I think loom knitting is easier to learn than knitting with needles, although I learned to knit with needles first, so I understood what I was trying to accomplish on the loom (what the stitches looked like). I actually got the loom as a starter thing for my dd6 - seems to be more forgiving wrt hand-eye coordination than knitting. All you need to sort out on the loom is how to wrap the yarn, while with needles you need to know how to wrap the yarn *plus* manipulate the needles and tension the yarn - the learning curve is higher, imo.

ETA: Knitting with needles is a lot more versatile though - I think looms are pretty limited in what sorts of items you can make.

:iagree:

I am thinking about getting one of the looms for socks. I love colorful socks but know I'll never learn to knit them w/needles. There are a ton of videos on youtube to show how it's done. I like the ones by Mikey-just type in "Mikey loom knitting". Might make you feel more comfortable to watch a few videos before beginning. Good luck!!

Casting a vote for needles! :) I love the look and feel of wooden needles. I love all the different things I can make with them. I have only been knitting a couple of years and I'm sufficiently addicted. I highly recommend it!

I do enjoy knitting with needles (wooden ones are my favs, too :)) - I don't use the loom myself, except to show dd6 how to do it - but from attempting to teach her, the loom seems far more entry-level than the needles. I did tons of loom stuff and finger knitting as a kid (plus cat's cradle and string games), and I think all that was a big help in developing the kind of hand-eye coordination that knitting and crocheting call for - made them fairly easy to pick up.

Ok, I'm a knitter and a crocheter and these are great skills that can take you many places. However, the looms are ridiculously easy. We bought a bunch for our campfire group and have done charity hat making get togethers involving kids as young as 5. You can try and do it all. :)

I loom knit mostly. I do needles but really find them awkward.

Goodness you can do a TON of stuff with the looms! Just do some searching. I also like the MikeyYouTube videos. Another is good knit kisses. I made several pair of slipper socks. I have a sock loom but I need to get the right ran. It's a winter thing or me. Sit and loom when it's cold. Love it!

You can also try crocheting. It's pretty simple with video tutorials. granny squares are fun!

I prefer needles and hooks but I took to both fairly easily as a child (though I didn't *really* pursue either craft until a good 25 years later). I tried the loom with my dd because she seemed interested. She wasn't. And I'm adept enough with needles/hooks that I found the loom a bit awkward. But a friend prefers the loom and is very good and quick with it. She thinks being left-handed is her main problem with knitting with needles. But she has learned to crochet.

I say try whatever interests you first. Those big plastic looms can only do so much but there are other types too. Like this Martha Stewart loom kit or this sock loom.

Slightly off topic...but I just have to say that I am quite pleased with myself in that I am well on the way to knitting my first pair of socks! Two-at-a-time on two circular needles! They are both the same size so far! LOL!

Two at a time socks are great! I'm doing my first project on 2 circs right now too.

I'm definitely intrigued by the sock knitting looms because I don't really like knitting socks, but there are SO many gorgeous sock yarns out there.

I would start on needles though - more versatile. And by the way, Knit Picks makes fantastic needles.

You can knit nearly anything with the looms. I only have needles but I can see how they might work well for newer knitters. You don't have to knit all the way around so you could do big flat pieces, even a sweater.

I might consider getting one for socks, double pointed needles aggravate my ADD and I can't find the perfect cables for socks. *yes I KNOW I should magic loop I just can't learn it atm while they are messing with my meds, I swear enough trying to do fair isle while this is going on :lol:*

If you are having trouble knitting I would try switching to continental style knitting on cabled needles. You can find a lot of videos about continental knitting on knittinghelp.com (which IMO is the best) or youtube. I have seen inconsistencies in how people on youtube do things so I would stick with knittinghelp.com

Here's the thing, there is wrapping and then grabbing. If you first learn to grab the grabbing makes more sense. If you first learn to wrap then wrapping can make more sense. If you learned to crochet first then grabbing will make more sense, continental style is grabbing.

Cabled needles will help keep things all in one place as well as the loom would.

I do continental knitting on the slickest style of needles, that is THE fastest way to knit. The only way to knit faster than the way I do is with a machine.

Do you want to get started right away with very little learning curve then I would start with a loom and later learn to knit and/or crochet.

Knitting has a larger learning time and takes much longer to produce a useful object, but it is worth the time put into it.

I am not convinced that a loom would really be faster in the end. The time spent learning is then made up by the speed in which one knits.

I learned to knit the English way...or as a "thrower". I went back and taught myself Continental and I'm striving to make as little movement as possible. As I do that, I'm finding myself not only knitting faster, but also able to knit for longer stretches without my hands or arms feeling tired.

I love cable needles as well. I received an interchangable set of Knit Picks Harmony needles for my birthday and I LOVE THEM!!!!

Along with a patient dear friend answering questions via text and email, I have learned just about everything via www.knittinghelp.com, www.knitpicks.com, YouTube and Ravelry. I started with cheap yarn and Clover bamboo needles and made lots of dishcloths...which I still use. :)

I began knitting because every Friday I sit for hours at a music program. This year, I have THREE other women who are sitting and knitting with me! :) It's wonderful! :)