Menu

standardized testing online? (specfically Stanford 10)

Lucy the Valiant

This seems . . . cheaper, easier, faster. What are my reasons NOT to do it?

We have always tested annually with our co-op, but last year one of my kids went into the test cheeful and confident and came out with some ROUGH testing anxiety (picked up from another kid). My state requires us to do the testing, but not to submit scores, so I don't really care what they get on the tests (they do test fairly well, too, so it's never been an issue).

What are the cons to doing it online? (besides the fact that I'd have to purchase an external mouse because my kids CANNOT work the thumbpad on the laptop - haha!)

• 9 months later...
Guest recyclemom

Just want to add that the Stanford online testing is great for ADHD kids.  They can only see 1 question at a time, they don't have to keep up with their place, it's bright and colorful, untimed, the computer reminds them to go back to any questions they may have skipped and great score reports within 24 hours and usually within an hour.  www.brewertesting.com

OK, I can answer this one as we just did it a couple of weeks ago for all five of ours!  We wanted a baseline measurement as we just pulled out of our charter school program, and we will do it again at the end of the academic year, then only at the end of the year thereafter.

Brewer Testing was fantastic to work with, flexible and helpful!

We get bare bones info from our state testing results through the public school, mainly "proficient" or "non-proficient".  I found the Stanford 10 to offer FAR more information that I can use.

We did it in one day, and I had the results in about an hour afterward.  The kids didn't find it overly taxing, and it was easy for them to work with online.  I prefer the online format myself, and in fact our state is going to computerized testing this next year anyway.

We will absolutely use this again, and while I am not married to test results, etc. the results helped me see gaps more clearly, as well as many more areas of strength than I had expected!  If you have specific questions to ask, feel free to message me.

Yes, it is new.  If you are more comfortable at home and prefer online, that's a perfectly valid option.  The only hitch I've heard is when you internet connection is iffy.  That includes if your wi-fi isn't as reliable and fast as some.

Keep in mind though that you can probably test your own at home anyway.  There are a few minor hoops to jump through, but I tested mine at home for a number of years.  Different years we've done the Iowa, Stanford, and PASS from Hewitt.  This year I'm probably going to test at home because of scheduling issues.  Testing away has a few more logistical issues, but the results have always been consistent whether I do it or they are in a group.

Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for posting this info!  We're not required to test, but I like to test every few years just see where we're at.  I only have an Associate's Degree, so I have to find someone to test my kids for me or have a perfect stranger come to my house to administer the test!  I've been looking for something like this for awhile.

• 1 month later...

My kids just did the tests spread over two days on Monday and today.  Yesterday we went Trick or Treat at the mall.  We had the results in less than an hour.  My kids did the Stanford 10 and OLSAT bundle and it was fun for them.  My hubby appreciated the fast results and that I can peep at the questions while they do and try not to laugh  (some questions were funny).

My kids just did the tests spread over two days on Monday and today.  Yesterday we went Trick or Treat at the mall.  We had the results in less than an hour.  My kids did the Stanford 10 and OLSAT bundle and it was fun for them.  My hubby appreciated the fast results and that I can peep at the questions while they do and try not to laugh  (some questions were funny).

Is Brewer the only one doing SAT10/OLSAT online together? They want $80, whereas I can do the paper version for $48.50 from BJU. Though I suppose the paper version also requires postage to mail it back...

Abeka offers the Stanford 10 online for $40 but only for grades 3-12 and I don't know about the OLSAT.

I asked them about OLSAT, and they didn't know anything about it. So I guess they aren't doing it real soon. Their Stanford 10 is $35 right now.

I'm not sure why online testing would be more expensive than paper testing, since the online is automated and uses less resources to deal with it (no one having to open mail and feed the paper test into the machine, etc.).

Is Brewer the only one doing SAT10/OLSAT online together? They want $80, whereas I can do the paper version for $48.50 from BJU. Though I suppose the paper version also requires postage to mail it back...

Triangle Education Assessment have SAT10 and OLSAT online for $40 each.  I have no experience with that company.  Hubby wants it quick and no hassle of mailing so we went the online mode.

My 8yr 10mth boy did max out the OLSAT Level E and the SAT10 4th grade Spring Norms.  My 7yr 10 mth boy did the OLSAT Level E and SAT10 3rd grade Spring Norms and was almost max out.  So you might want to consider testing above grade level for your kids.

We actually live close to Brewer Testing and she administers the Woodcock Johnson to my kids each year.  Mrs. Brewer is such a sweet and helpful person!!  I'm sure if you emailed or called her, she could answer any questions you have in a jiffy!  We are thinking of doing the Stanford 10 online with my oldest this year.......I'll be buzzing her about specifics on tests pretty soon.  We will probably take it with her b/c she writes up her own reports as well and goes over test scores.  I appreciate that greatly!!  I realize most of you don't have that option of swinging by her testing site but I just need to give her props for making the testing experience with my children an enjoyable, low stress moment.  It is a pretty stressful time in public school that my oldest endured for three years.