Menu

My DD cries doing CLE LA. What do I do?

Mom28kds

I'm not sure if I should switch to something else. I don't want to be a curriculum jumper but she just is struggling. She is in first grade. All the rules are so hard for her to remember. She can read some but just cries when she doesn't remember things and gets them wrong. My 6th grader is doing CLE and is doing just fine. I've done CLE for my 2nd grader (we started HSing last year). The rules were hard for him also. But we are plugging along in 2nd He didn't struggle as bad as she is but he struggled. Do all curriculums go over so many rules like this one does? At first I thought it would be a great way to help them read but I'm not sure anymore. I do know that their 2nd grade has changed since I bought the one we are doing but now sure how much. I really like their Math but not sure if I just plug along or move to something else for LA. I think my kids really need spiral because of the repetition. I also have a K and I prefer to get something that all 3 younger kids can use. I've used ABEKA in the past with my older kids but have tried CLE with my younger 4.

We are starting LU 107 and will be done before the end of the year so I could possible get something else to help reinforce what she has learned which might be a good way to introduce her to a different curriculum.

I haven't tried FLL. I'll look at it. I want to see what Mom's suggest. Maybe they are all like this. I just don't remember ABEKA doing all these rules and going through them so fast. I really like their Math. Maybe CLE gets better and we should just keep on with it to get through this.

If you want to continue with CLE, you need to figure out exactly what is upsetting her and then you need to support her in that area. For example, in our house, filling in lots of workbook pages elicited tears at that age, so if this were the problem, I would write for her until she is ready to take that on. You mentioned learning rules. If she is having trouble with memorizing and isn't getting it from the repetition provided in the book, you could spend some time helping her learn the rules separately. Then I'd also sit with her while she's doing the work to offer support (and hints) for a while.

Another thing is that having to read the lesson and write the answers herself (if this is what she's doing) could be overloading her working memory so that she can't remember what she's supposed to be remembering. You can fix this problem by reading the lesson to her and writing for her.

(BTW, I'm not sure what rules you are talking about.)

I'm not sure if I should switch to something else. I don't want to be a curriculum jumper but she just is struggling. She is in first grade. All the rules are so hard for her to remember. She can read some but just cries when she doesn't remember things and gets them wrong. My 6th grader is doing CLE and is doing just fine. I've done CLE for my 2nd grader (we started HSing last year). The rules were hard for him also. But we are plugging along in 2nd He didn't struggle as bad as she is but he struggled. Do all curriculums go over so many rules like this one does? At first I thought it would be a great way to help them read but I'm not sure anymore. I do know that their 2nd grade has changed since I bought the one we are doing but now sure how much. I really like their Math but not sure if I just plug along or move to something else for LA. I think my kids really need spiral because of the repetition. I also have a K and I prefer to get something that all 3 younger kids can use. I've used ABEKA in the past with my older kids but have tried CLE with my younger 4.

We are starting LU 107 and will be done before the end of the year so I could possible get something else to help reinforce what she has learned which might be a good way to introduce her to a different curriculum.

It seems a waste to jump ship this far into the program. Are you using the ideas for teaching and review in the TM? That's where I'd start. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

I'd also help her make her own reference book. In the back of the TM, Appendix E: Wall Charts it says, "These are scaled-down reproductions of the 8 1/2" by 11" wall charts available with this course. You may photocopy these pages for students and have them cut out the charts and combine them into booklets to keep at their desks. Students would enjoy making covers for their chart books."

This is what I'm doing with my DDs. I'm a HUGE believer in giving kids access to resources and references when doing work. Once she's looked up a rule/fact enough, she won't need the extra help. She'll have accidentally memorized it. :) Besides, it's good preparation for adulthood.

Another suggestion is to take a break for a week or two to play some games and find some non-workbook activities to reinforce what she's already covered. Make some cardstock tiles with the letters of the alphabet. Include a version of each vowel with a macron or breve, since most of the rules are "if the vowel is long/short do x." You could also make tiles with the blends and consonant digraphs.

You can also slow down progress in general. CLE LA 100 is challenging! Perhaps you could do the workbook twice a week and do support activities the other 2 or 3 days. You should still finish by the end of the school year.

Best wishes. :grouphug:

When my guys got overwhelmed with LA1, we would just slow down, and review the "rules" in a relaxed way . If we only got part of a lesson done, that was okay. It seemed to take a lot of hand holding. Eventually it clicked and we were able to move far quicker. The key is to keep the lesson positive and interactive with you. This isn't the time to teach independent work.

The good news is that it gets easier. That first year takes a big step in learning. Just make sure she is progressing with the reading. Even if she's still working on LA1 for a bit next year, or if the year lasts a bit longer, she'll be fine.

It seems a waste to jump ship this far into the program. Are you using the ideas for teaching and review in the TM? That's where I'd start. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

I'd also help her make her own reference book. In the back of the TM, Appendix E: Wall Charts it says, "These are scaled-down reproductions of the 8 1/2" by 11" wall charts available with this course. You may photocopy these pages for students and have them cut out the charts and combine them into booklets to keep at their desks. Students would enjoy making covers for their chart books."

This is what I'm doing with my DDs. I'm a HUGE believer in giving kids access to resources and references when doing work. Once she's looked up a rule/fact enough, she won't need the extra help. She'll have accidentally memorized it. :) Besides, it's good preparation for adulthood.

Another suggestion is to take a break for a week or two to play some games and find some non-workbook activities to reinforce what she's already covered. Make some cardstock tiles with the letters of the alphabet. Include a version of each vowel with a macron or breve, since most of the rules are "if the vowel is long/short do x." You could also make tiles with the blends and consonant digraphs.

You can also slow down progress in general. CLE LA 100 is challenging! Perhaps you could do the workbook twice a week and do support activities the other 2 or 3 days. You should still finish by the end of the school year.

Best wishes. :grouphug: