Menu

Do you read curriculum/TGs?

What I mean by that is, do you read them cover to cover before you begin? My MO is to read through the first few lessons, lightly skim the rest to get a feel for it and then jump in (and then, too often, scrap it when it doesn't work).

I am an idiot.

I just dusted off my Right Start C to use in conjunction with CLE 300 for older DD and I started reading everything - I studied the table of contents and have started to read through every lesson (Ok, I've done a little skimming, but not much). I'm only on lesson 39, but already the program makes so much more sense than the first time I tried it with DD.

So, I guess this is part PSA (read those TMs cover to cover! Study them!) and part me hoping that someone else has made the same mistake. Surely I'm not the ONLY one, right?

I tend to only in depth read the first few weeks, and then skim once I feel like I have a hang for it. But you're right, it probably would be much better to really read it all! I totally did this with MCT, I didn't see the extra teacher material that is not with each chapter, (it's in its own section at the back of the book) and was really confused for a while!

I think it's a fine idea, so you can see where the curriculum is going, and how the parts are going to be connected in the later lessons. Things I've used, like Saxon Math, or literature guides--these have some not-so-obvious ways of exploring information and then tying it together.

I have a horrible time with reading the teacher's manuals. In fact, we used to homeschool once a week with another family and the lady would make fun of me, because I refused to consult the TMs. :coolgleamA: If I even bought the TM... If they weren't covered in cobwebs... :tongue_smilie:

I find that I am a much more effective teacher when I read all the way through every TM prior to beginning instruction. More than that, actually doing a progressive sampling of the lessons as if I am a student myself is enormously helpful when the time comes for me to teach the material. It sounds time consuming but the truth is that the time I "lose" in preparation is made up for by greater efficiency and ease when it is time for the actual lessons with the kids.

No, I don't, but as a former teacher, I can get a good feel of what encompasses a curric by the table of contents and reading a few lessons throughout the B, M, and E of the book. Most, I can't stand, or think they are overpriced, so it really helps me save money! :)

I find that I am a much more effective teacher when I read all the way through every TM prior to beginning instruction. More than that, actually doing a progressive sampling of the lessons as if I am a student myself is enormously helpful when the time comes for me to teach the material. It sounds time consuming but the truth is that the time I "lose" in preparation is made up for by greater efficiency and ease when it is time for the actual lessons with the kids.

Alte Veste Academy wrote what I was going to write, so I'm just going to say 'I agree' (no smileys on ipad).

Depends. Some teacher's manuals are ridiculous. The HWT teacher guides are so repetitive and boring. The only one I've found useful is the K teacher guide...for preschool ages.

I used Lab Sheet Annotations with Miquon religiously. I used the Easy Grammar TM but it was totally not necessary and rarely used. I use the teacher guides for RS4K and other science that comes with one.

Basically math and science. And even then, not always. Other things I'm pretty confident figuring out on my own the best way to teach or present. And some things, like Bravewriter for example, are just teachers guides. Some TM are pretty interesting, some are just overpriced answer keys or attempts to raise costs.

I don't usually read them cover to cover, but a few I have. If it's straightforward, I'll just do what you said you typically do in the OP - look at the TOC and the first few lessons, then skim the rest of the book. I can usually get a good feel for where it's going that way.

There are some curricula that make more sense if you use them some first. For example, when I started using KISS Grammar, I went through it myself, then took my son through it.

I'm in the depends camp. With many curricula I think it's completely unnecessary. With others, there is obviously a lot of in depth material about how to teach and what the progression of skills will be and if you really study it, it can help you become a better teacher. I find that the biggest problem is that it's not always evident at first into which camp a curricula falls.

We're supposed to read the TM's?!?!

I have a teacher's degree, taught a short time in a traditional school. Most TM's I just skim the first few lessons. Most of them are very repetitive, so once you understand how it works, you can put it on the shelf for dust collection. I usually only use TM's if they contain an answer key that I need to quickly check the assignments.

I usually read through the first few sections to get a feel for it and then jump right in because I'm so excited and can't wait to start. I do look over each lesson/section as we get to it each week, you know, so I know what I'm talking about and not completely caught off guard. ;)

I find that the biggest problem is that it's not always evident at first into which camp a curricula falls.

Well, this is exactly right too. I have read through TM's that I then barely glance at again the entire time I'm teaching that curriculum. :lol: The problem is that I wouldn't have known there was little value if I hadn't read them in the first place. Some seem virtually pointless at first but then ramp up and become more useful...or what what seemed simple was actually deceptively simple, as in quite thoughtful and complex (Singapore HIG's ring my bell here). And I wouldn't have seen how very valuable some of them were if I hadn't read them. Erring on the side of caution is always a good idea.

Well, this is exactly right too. I have read through TM's that I then barely glance at again the entire time I'm teaching that curriculum. :lol: The problem is that I wouldn't have known there was little value if I hadn't read them in the first place. Some seem virtually pointless at first but then ramp up and become more useful...or what what seemed simple was actually deceptively simple, as in quite thoughtful and complex (Singapore HIG's ring my bell here). And I wouldn't have seen how very valuable some of them were if I hadn't read them. Erring on the side of caution is always a good idea.

I'm wondering if it's especially true in math... I haven't read the SM HIG's, but I have certainly heard that about them. All the Miquon materials are incredibly useful. When I first started using Miquon, I thought the Annotations was a bit bleh and now that we're finishing Yellow and starting Purple, I realize that actually the Annotations are a-freaking-mazing. I wish I had read through them more carefully from the get go. The MEP teacher materials are great. The RS materials are great... we just have the games book, but it's a wonderful teaching tool.

On the other hand... my experience with most non-math curricula has been that the teacher materials aren't especially in depth or informative. Useful maybe, but not worth studying.

I usually read them in their entirety, but mostly so I can figure out how to frankenstein it *just enough* that we still follow the plan but do something that fits us. :laugh: The one we're using this year is over a thousand pages (scripted unit study). I read each unit before we get to it, sticky note the heck out of it, and put it back on the shelf to wait another few weeks until we are ready to start.

No, I don't read them cover to cover before I begin, but I did have an MO similar to yours. Then a few years ago when I started TOG, I HAD to read their manual. This spilled over into me reading other TM's and I'm thankful for the changes it's brought. As others have mentioned, not all TMs carry tons of valuable information but reading through them beforehand, helps me feel more confident as a teacher. Sometimes I can head off trouble spots before they come up.

During the summer months, I might read through the first month's worth of lessons. After that, I typically stay just a week or two ahead.

I think it's a fine idea, so you can see where the curriculum is going, and how the parts are going to be connected in the later lessons. Things I've used, like Saxon Math, or literature guides--these have some not-so-obvious ways of exploring information and then tying it together.

This.

I'm speaking as someone who has almost no experience teaching (except for my own kids) and I'd rather not wing it anymore. BTDT and my kids are paying the price for my casual approach.

My current TM reading projects are the Right Start C manual (you cannot teach RS without it) and the CLE LA 100 manual. What's interesting to me is that over and over I've head that you don't need the CLE TMs except as an answer key to clear up a few confusing items, but really "all the teaching is in the workbooks." Um... no. My experience is that the TM - even at the "easy" 100 level - is a goldmine of information and support. If you follow the daily lesson plans, there are a lot of ideas for introducing the concept and review, plus support materials.

The other thing I like is that I'm beginning to see where the curriculum is going. Hunter (who should change her user name to Yoda, because she is so very wise!) has repeated this over and over: know where the curriculum is going over the long term.

For me, even seeing where it's going over one year - and how it gets to where it's going - has been incredibly helpful. In Right Start the author has you review some things over and over and I was thinking, "What? Why are we reviewing that small thing again?" Well, I kept reading and I saw that there was a method to the madness.

Some people are natural teachers (or have formal training) and can wing it. Not me. I've fallen in love with good TMs :grouphug: Now the TMs that are basically answer keys... :mad: A robust, useful TM is now one of my requirements for a product. I need it.