Menu

car or svu???

ProudGrandma

I swore I would never love another after my mercedes sedan... until I met Mr. Toyota Sequoia. Lol.

I love my suv. Never thought I would, but with two car seats and an older child, it makes travel (and just the daily outings) SO much easier. Even with the third row seating in, I have room in the back of car for strollers, baby bags, etc.

So I vote suv.

I don't like SUVs. They are too big, feel cumberson and tiring to drive. And the dreadful gas mileage makes me feel guilty.

I'm currently driving my biggest vehicle ever . . . a Scion xB, and we find it's really nice for long trips. It has plenty of headroom, making it feel very roomy. There's enough space in the back for the luggage of four people. My 6'1" husband and 5'11" son have plenty of legroom, and my daughter has space to curl up and sleep.

I've done many long trips with smaller vehicles (like the 10 1,600-mile round trips I averaged each of the four years my daughter was in college), and I do appreciate the larger one. But I certainly would have no desire to ever go to anything larger.

I don't like SUVs. They are too big, feel cumberson and tiring to drive. And the dreadful gas mileage makes me feel guilty.

I'm currently driving my biggest vehicle ever . . . a Scion xB, and we find it's really nice for long trips. It has plenty of headroom, making it feel very roomy. There's enough space in the back for the luggage of four people. My 6'1" husband and 5'11" son have plenty of legroom, and my daughter has space to curl up and sleep.

I've done many long trips with smaller vehicles (like the 10 1,600-mile round trips I averaged each of the four years my daughter was in college), and I do appreciate the larger one. But I certainly would have no desire to ever go to anything larger.

And my ONE concession for getting a newer vehicle, even if it's smaller, is that I MUST sit up high, like I do in my Expedition. Of course, big and cumbersome is relative. My SUV is a lot smaller than the 1960-something grain truck that I learned to drive in, and back up (using only side mirrors) with precision, to offload the grain.

And I try not to feel too guilty about the gas mileage. 'Tis the oil business that kept me fed, clothed, and a roof over my head growing up - and continues to do so for a large portion of my family. ;)

A yearly "road trip" for us, though involves 2,000 miles one way, so 4,000 miles round trip. Us, our pets, and all of our luggage and various needed supplies - and we still barely fit. And I pack light!!

I used to answer our SUV over our little car. Then we got rid of the little car and got a wagon. The wagon is so roomy and gets better milage than the little car did, so now it is a much much more difficult choice. For our multi-hour drives we now usually pick the wagon, unless we will need 4x4 or high clearance, then we take the SUV.