Menu

Drawing Curriculum?

silver

I, too, really liked Drawing with Children, but never managed to implement it more than a few times; I sort of think you have to be an art teacher already to translate the book into practice...

What was open-and-go, very clear and practical, really got done, was enjoyable, and really *worked* was Mark Kistler's Draw Squad. Don't be put off by the "cartoon" style -- he does it intentionally to get you past the hump of thinking "I can't draw". He also includes amazing examples of realistic art by students who used the techniques as a springboard to draw something of their own interest.

Take 10 minutes to read his 4-page intro -- the whole philosophy is there, and it's totally open-and-do after that. The book does a fabulous job of helping you see and put into practice the basics of drawing: foreshortening, shading, surface, size, contour, overlapping, density, and shadows. Once you go through Draw Squad, you'll have the tools that will allow you tackle Drawing with Children, or the free books linked in a previous post.

DSs and I did Draw Squad together -- i.e., looked at the lesson/assignment, and then each did our own drawing, and then had fun sharing what we'd each drawn. It only took about 10 minutes, no more than15 minutes, each morning, and we included it as part of our morning "together" time.

BEST of luck in finding what is the best fit for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Drawing for Children was a bust here, but a year or two later I saw this link to some lesson plans. If you like the book, maybe this is enough hand holding?

If not, that Augsburg book looked good, and I think there was another sweet vintage book on Google books called What to Draw Now. That one was in the style of the Ed Emberley books, have you looked at those? Our library has a number of them.

Has anyone used Drawing is Basic? It looks like it might be a similar method to Drawing with Children but laid out in a more open and go style. But maybe it's just the first three sections of the Kindergarten book (warm up exercises, looking exercises, following directions) that seem to match and nothing else does?

I have it but I will admit it is not very inspiring. I'd recommend Phonics of Drawing instead. I'd link it but I'm on my iPhone. A quick google search should bring it up. :). Rainbow Resources also sells PoD.

You Can Draw in 30 Days is less silly than the other Kistler books. Drawing Textbook is very similar to 30 Days, but doesn't have as much explanation. I prefer the scope and sequence though. The books are mostly an overlap, but I need both.

Amazing Crayon Drawing With Lee Hammond is a new favorite. I love the Crayon Paintings in the vintage Augsburg books. Using Color in Your Art, is written for paints, but is easily adapted to crayons.

I use the figure drawing instructions in Draw Write now, and the facial expression in the Ed Emberley Funprint book. Let's Draw Happy People is good for hair and clothing.

Teaching Art with Books Kids Love is good if you want to cover the elements and principals.

You Can Draw in 30 Days is less silly than the other Kistler books. Drawing Textbook is very similar to 30 Days, but doesn't have as much explanation. I prefer the scope and sequence though. The books are mostly an overlap, but I need both.

I agree with this too. We have both and I like each for a different reason. My older kids are about 1/2 way through both as they are working through them simultaneously. Regrettably, it is taking longer than 30 days. LOL

I agree with this too. We have both and I like each for a different reason. My older kids are about 1/2 way through both as they are working through them simultaneously. Regrettably, it is taking longer than 30 days. LOL

Yes, at least 30 weeks, not 30 days.

Not only is the silliness removed...

Well, actually, I LIKED the "silliness" of Draw Squad -- made me feel NOT intimidated to try drawing! ;)

Plus, it added to the fun of doing it with my DSs.

However, I can definitely see trying out the adult version if pursuing it as a teen or adult for self-education! :)

Has anyone used Drawing is Basic? It looks like it might be a similar method to Drawing with Children but laid out in a more open and go style. But maybe it's just the first three sections of the Kindergarten book (warm up exercises, looking exercises, following directions) that seem to match and nothing else does?

Well, I like the look of this... I might have to add it to our art time...

Thanks for the link to the lesson plans. I had seen Donna Young's plans before but I guess I just skimmed them because this time they looked complete. I'm going to try DWC again after the new year with these. Thank you!

You are welcome. I will be curious to hear your thoughts after trying it out. We have art to take us through the spring, but after that I will be re-looking at DWC (since we own it) and some of the others linked here...