Menu

Help! Son ate spoonful of salt...

HeatherL

We were in the middle of a science experiment and I had my 5 year old stirring a bowl of salt water. I was getting more supplies and I hear "yuck!" He said he tasted a spoonful of the salt. His tummy now hurts. I have looked up on line to see if this is dangerous, but can't find anything except people asking on yahoo if you will die immediately (most answered no). I have been having him drink water, but he says his tummy still hurts. What else can I do? Should we be going to the doctor? Thanks!!

Thanks everyone. we had used 1/2 cup of salt and it had all settled on the bottom of the bowl, so he scooped up mostly salt and very little water. I called the doctor and they told me to call poison control. Everyone said to just watch him and make sure there are no severe reactions/stomach pain and to keep pushing water on him. I never would have thought of poison control... I did get a little jumpy when they asked for my full name, son's name, phone number... I asked why and she said just so she could follow up with me. It's that paranioa of them comming after a homeschool mom...

The positive to come out of this is that he has learned a good lesson of following directions durring science!