Menu

Pinecone projects?

Lara in Colo

As we are not doing presents this year and are "doing" Christmas, I thought that we could do projects.

We made homemade Christmas cards for mailing out (they really had a good time).

We have 23 pine trees in our front yard so pine cone projects would be doable. Do you have any links to some???

I saw some at Thanksgiving where you took pipecleaners and such and made turkeys, this is the type of projects I am looking for.

Perhaps tree ornaments or maybe even something larger, like a wreath (but that sounds hard)

Please help me find some child-friendly pine cone projects for them.

Lara

okay, depending upon the size of the cone. I've done this with spruce cones, but you can do it with pine cones and some other types as well.

easy cone ornaments.

need per cone:

eye screw

ultra-fine glitter (one company comes in different sizes and colors.)

spray adhesive

ornament hook

insert the eye screw into the base of the cone. you may place the ornament hook at this time. hold by hook or eye-screw and spray adhesive in a downward motion so it is 'falling' from the base downward. sprinkle glitter then hang to dry.

do the glitter over paper to catch excess so you can resuse what doesn't stick.

post-21762-0-83880200-1354759301_thumb.jpg

Martha stewart has some cute things that children can make. e.g. frames that are one petal of the cone placed end on end. you can use poster board or cardboard as the backing. she shows a wreath, and some cute penguines.

and about that pine cone swag that was linked by a previous poster - if you have access, you can space the cones with horse chestnuts. You'll need a heavy needle. (or maybe a fine finish nail and a hammer.)

you can also use tissue paper to make snowflakes.

I have seen them dipped in beeswax--they smell amazing!

Haven't seen the above links, so IDK if this is in there, but you can make pinecone birdfeeders (the old preschool standby...) and also make garlands of cheerios. Save them for just after Christmas, and put your old tree outside, decorated for the birds to feast on. Or, just hang up a bunch near a window and give the birds a Christmas treat! (Squirrels love them, too.)

I have seen them dipped in beeswax--they smell amazing!

Haven't seen the above links, so IDK if this is in there, but you can make pinecone birdfeeders (the old preschool standby...) and also make garlands of cheerios. Save them for just after Christmas, and put your old tree outside, decorated for the birds to feast on. Or, just hang up a bunch near a window and give the birds a Christmas treat! (Squirrels love them, too.)

I first thought of bird feeders, too. Here's a big list of pine cone crafts to choose from, and another one.

As we are not doing presents this year and are "doing" Christmas, I thought that we could do projects.

We made homemade Christmas cards for mailing out (they really had a good time).

We have 23 pine trees in our front yard so pine cone projects would be doable. Do you have any links to some???

I saw some at Thanksgiving where you took pipecleaners and such and made turkeys, this is the type of projects I am looking for.

Perhaps tree ornaments or maybe even something larger, like a wreath (but that sounds hard)

Please help me find some child-friendly pine cone projects for them.

Lara

I'm sorry, I have no ideas for you but I had to say that the part I bolded made my eyes pop! :scared:

The thought of all that pollen in the spring and the pine needles sticking to my small dog's fur in the fall is terrifying. I have more than I can handle with my one pine tree! :lol:

I hoep you find a project you will enjoy. I love pretty pinecones (just not the pollen from the trees!!).

We did Christmas Tree Pinecones last year. You take dry rice and dye it green, then cover the pinecone with glue and sprinkle the rice all over it. It turns out really cute. We actually gave these as teacher gifts for my daughters kindergarten teachers last year. lol.. Here is a link: http://www.busybeekidscrafts.com/Pine-Cone-Christmas-Tree.html