Menu

AAS Level 3, sound of "oo"

Paige

We have reached the sound of "oo" in AAS level 3 and I'm having a problem with it. It says that oo says "oo," short "u," and long "o." I'm ok with the first 2 sounds but not the 3rd. The example words for those are floor and door. Is that really the correct pronunciation? What we say is more like the sound "or," and I cannot imagine forcing a long o in there without creating a second syllable and sounding like I have a very pronounced not typical American accent. I am planning on not teaching the 3rd sound to my kids but I want to make sure I won't regret it later.

We haven't reached level 3 of AAS yet so this may not help. Whenever we come to a word that is spelled differently than the way we normally pronounce a word I just explain to my Dd that we often say the word differently than how it is spelled. I then make sure that I prounounce it for spelling as well as the way we normally say it so she gets used to hearing the sound of both. Some examples that we have come across so far are human (sounds lik humin), magnet (magnit), seven (sevin), even (evin), silent (silint), open (opin), etc. (I am exaggerating of course, we don't say all of those words with the sound of a short i, but to a kid, when said quickly, it would sound closer to a short i than a short e or a). Same with the word "while" I have to emphasis the "wh" because when spoken it sounds like just a "w." I have just explained that people often say words a bit fast, or sloppy, so they have come to sound a little different than they way they are spelled. She has seemed to have no problem understanding this concept. For the most part though, I trust AAS and they way they teach the sounds and words.

I don't know if that helped at all. Hope someone is able to answer more specifically about the sound of "oo" for you. I am interested to see what others have to say about this as well.

Well, I thought the same thing when I came across it last week using our LOE curriculum.

If I am just saying the 3 words that use this oo phonogram with the long o sound...floor, door & poor...I would not accentuate the long o rather it would sound like or.

I think the pronunciation of these 3 words can vary greatly depending on ones accent. We are from the midwest.

I am not too concerned about my kids learning memorizing these words as a long o sound, though, as it seems to be the easiest category for them to land in.

If I am just saying the 3 words that use this oo phonogram with the long o sound...floor, door & poor...I would not accentuate the long o rather it would sound like or.

At first I was thinking, yeah, that would make it like Oh-er. But then I thought, wait - how does a long "o" sound before an "r" with other spellings?

Do you pronounce 'or' and 'ore' the same?

Pore and poor? Bore and boor? Those are indeed homonyms to me..

Are there words in English that have a long 'o' before an 'r' that don't sound like 'or'? I can't think of any?? The 'o' sounds in those words with 'r' do sound more clipped than, say, in toad or rote, but it also isn't "short o" like pot or Todd.

What's confusing me is that AAS has the "or" sound/phonogram where it is listed as an r-controlled vowel. R controlled vowels take on the sound of r in some way instead of their own unique and normal sound. So, core, for, poor, gore, etc., to my ears all have the r-controlled sound of "or." No need to pretend it says long o. I'd say the vowel team becomes an r-controlled team. I can't think of any words I've heard with a true long o sound followed by an r that don't have an e between them to make the r sound. If I tried to pronounce those words with a long o for spelling, I'm sure my kids would be putting an e in there because we've taught them that r doesn't say er without a vowel to make the er sound. O can't be used to say o and e at the same time. Or, I am just completely missing how it would be pronounced with a long o?

What's confusing me is that AAS has the "or" sound/phonogram where it is listed as an r-controlled vowel. R controlled vowels take on the sound of r in some way instead of their own unique and normal sound. So, core, for, poor, gore, etc., to my ears all have the r-controlled sound of "or." No need to pretend it says long o. I'd say the vowel team becomes an r-controlled team. I can't think of any words I've heard with a true long o sound followed by an r that don't have an e between them to make the r sound. If I tried to pronounce those words with a long o for spelling, I'm sure my kids would be putting an e in there because we've taught them that r doesn't say er without a vowel to make the r sound. O can't be used to say o and e at the same time. Or, I am just completely missing how it would be pronounced with a long o.

I think this is what I was trying to say but I wasn't sure of the terminology. I had some vague memory of vowels sounding different when followed by 'r'. Yeah, I can't think of a single English word that has a long-o-ish sound followed directly by 'r' that doesn't have that r-controlled 'or' sound.

To me the reason they would teach this is because you don't have r controlled vowel teams. You really are saying the long o sound when you say door, but it blends in with the r controlled -or- that follows. If these words had a strict r-controlled sound they would be spelled dor and flor and por. The kids need to know what that other o is saying in the words, so they don't become rule breakers. You will most likely hear that long o sound if you say a word like coordinate. I would pronounce this word co-or-din-ate not cor-din-ate So it can indeed say that, but most of the words you really here it in also contain phonograms or rules that haven't been taught yet, or would just be to difficult for many kids in that level of the book.

At first I was thinking, yeah, that would make it like Oh-er. But then I thought, wait - how does a long "o" sound before an "r" with other spellings? Do you pronounce 'or' and 'ore' the same? Pore and poor? Bore and boor? Those are indeed homonyms to me.. Are there words in English that have a long 'o' before an 'r' that don't sound like 'or'? I can't think of any?? The 'o' sounds in those words with 'r' do sound more clipped than, say, in toad or rote, but it also isn't "short o" like pot or Todd.

LOE didn't mention the word boor :) but, yes I do pronounce it the same way as the 3 others they do mention (floor, door, poor)

To me the reason they would teach this is because you don't have r controlled vowel teams. You really are saying the long o sound when you say door, but it blends in with the r controlled -or- that follows. If these words had a strict r-controlled sound they would be spelled dor and flor and por. The kids need to know what that other o is saying in the words, so they don't become rule breakers.

^^^This makes perfect sense to me and is exactly why I believe LOE teaches the long o sound for these words :)

You will most likely hear that long o sound if you say a word like coordinate. I would pronounce this word co-or-din-ate not cor-din-ate S

Sorry, I don't pronounce any of those words (door, poor) anything like coordinate or coop. In the other oo words, it's one sound, not two. In the co- words it's two because you pronounce the prefix separately from the root word which happens to start with an o, so you pronounce them separately, and yes, there's a full long o. That's why those co- words are often spelled with a hyphen - co-op or co-ordinate. The oo in door or poor I do pronounce just like if it were cordinate rather than co-ordinate (although I pronounce the co-o.. words as two sounds as befits their etymology, which is very different from the etymology of the other oo words we're talking about, which are not prefixes and roots).

We have reached the sound of "oo" in AAS level 3 and I'm having a problem with it. It says that oo says "oo," short "u," and long "o." I'm ok with the first 2 sounds but not the 3rd. The example words for those are floor and door. Is that really the correct pronunciation? What we say is more like the sound "or," and I cannot imagine forcing a long o in there without creating a second syllable and sounding like I have a very pronounced not typical American accent. I am planning on not teaching the 3rd sound to my kids but I want to make sure I won't regret it later.

It is correct. It's just that those two words are r-controlled, so they come out more like "or."

I teach door/floor with the 3rd (long O) sound of oo because we are "thinking to spell" there. If I teach it with the same sound as "or," my kids wonder why we don't just spell it that way -- dor, flor.

I have ENOUGH trouble with spelling in this house! My other alternative would be to teach that one of the O's is silent??

It just makes more sense that it says, "DO-r" for spelling & for regular speech, it is "d-or."

Any of those r-controlled things drive them into fits if you don't explain them logically. Wait until you get to /h/-/A/-/r/ (hair)!

I just explained to my kids that it's really hard to say R's and L's at the end of words without a slight extra vowel sound. It's just the way our mouths transition to those letters.

If I say the first part of poke and the first part of poor, I say /p/ /O/ both times. I can drag out the long O in poke and just add a quick /k/ sound. Try the same with "poor," and you'll have a slight vowel sound in order to say that /r/--so it comes out a bit like /er/ unless I really clip the sound.

We discussed the same thing with words like "file." It might sound like fi-ul, or even fi-yul depending on pronunciation--it's just the hazzard of saying /l/ at the end of some words. I told them that with l's and r's, sometimes we have to say it fast or we add a syllable, and we don't want to do that. These are one syllable words.

When we discussed this and I showed them the words, they understood.

Ultimately, though, do what helps your kids get to the correct spelling the easiest. If you and your kids just don't hear it this way, that's ok. There are very few words like poor, door, and floor...brooch is another that uses the long O, and might be the only one that sounds like a long O to you. You could choose to learn poor, door, and floor as exceptions or even put them in jail or on a rule-breaker list. (I agree, coordinate is not an example because there's a syllable division between the two O's that doesn't exist in the other OO words.)

Merry :-)