Menu

I am Curious, Would You...

mom2bee

Would you let neighborhood kids play in your yard? Even without your kids present, just allow them to play on the grass maybe with their own ball or even play on YOUR playground equipment?

For example, if your kids were visiting their grandparents out of town for a week or two, would you have a problem with neighborhood kids playing in your yard, one your kids play equipment ie, trampolines, bikes, balls, swings, etc???

I am only curious.

We let the neighbor kids come over to use our swing set. They're toddlers, so are always always ALWAYS in the company of at least one adult, often more. Dh purchased toddler swings to put on our swingset so they could use it. If we're home, one of my kids will usually go out to help push them in the swings. One of our cats also goes out so they can admire him -- the mom is allergic to cats, so this is a HUGE deal to be allowed to touch our cat -- actually only allowed if I, my dd, or the neighbor-on-the-other-side is present (that cat also goes over neighbor-on-other-side's house a lot -- she lets him in her house and feeds him treats, and he hangs out with her cats).

Lately they are allowed to climb up the ladder to the slide (not while carrying the babydoll, which must be handed to an adult who will hand it back to you when you're ready to slide down, and then, yes, you can slide down with the babydoll, and if you don't want to do it that way we are going home NOW). And tonight dh dragged the Clip Clop Wonder Horse out to the grass for them to try, which was quite exciting.

I have a feeling this is a special situation, though. It's sort of like our houses have one gigantic back yard. My kids also go over and babysit for them.

In my neighborhood the yards are all close together so we're all playing in/through each other's yards all the time. That doesn't bother me. I wouldn't care about neighbors using the little toys like balls, chalk, and stuff, but no bikes or bigger stuff.

Our neighbor kids use our front yard for football tossing, golf practice... things like that. It doesn't bother me because these are respectful, nice, teenage kids & we have the best front yard on the street (lots of room!). They don't get into the back yard (where our play equipment is) or in the garage (where our sports equipment is), though, unless my kids are outside playing with those items as well.

I would have a problem with it if the kids were younger, because I'd feel like I need to be outside supervising. Which I don't even have to do for my own kids anymore, so I'm sure not spending the time watching other people's kids! :toetap05: