Menu

What to do after bob books

MistyMountain

DD is 6. I started teacher her how to read last year and it has been slow going. We didn't do much in the summer and she lost some of her skills but she is finally making some progress. She can now plow through bob books and the AAR1 readers I got for my son but she isn't quite ready for beginning reader books with lots of words that don't follow rules and just gets frustrated reading those. She needs something a little harder than BOB books but not as hard as early readers that have lots of varied words. We are working through reading bear right now and she is on presentation 30. She is doing really well and working through each presentation without any issues. I do the funnix story time sentences with her not the whole lessons and that is good practice but it doesn't match up what she is doing in reading bear. She is getting so close but I need something to challenge her and help her progress.

Can she do all of the words in AAR 1 fluently? Have you thought about moving on to AAR 2? That will teach her the next level of patterns. 97% of words do follow recognizable patterns, so there really are few true rule-breakers once she learns all of them.

AAR 2 covers 3-letter blends; two-syllable words with open and closed syllables – hotel; vowel-consonant-E pattern words; VCE syllable combined with closed syllables – reptile; contractions; r-controlled words – her, car, and corn; soft c and g – face, page; past tense – hugged; vowel teams oi, oy, au, aw, ou, ow, oe, and ee; y in shy; wh in wheel; i and o can be long before two consonants (ex: ild, old, ost) – most; silent e after u or v – have; and the third sound of a – all. It includes two and three syllable words such as pullover, outnumber, sandpaper, saucepan, and invoice, etc… Here's a placement test to see if she's ready for AAR 2.

Hope you find something helpful for her! Merry :-)

I would look at Bob Books sight words sets. They have kindergarten and first grade levels. Most of the words are phonetic but they focus on common words. I am not at all opposed to doing sight wirds along with phonics. Kids really need to learn words like give, have, where, here, said, etc. to read early readers.

She really has struggled with fluency but she read the three readers from AAR1 fast. She picked up each book and read it in one sitting in not much time. Some words she sounds out a little or she makes a mistake here and there but she moves through them pretty fast and understands what she is reading. She is good at reading the words in those books and can do it fast now. I don't know that I quite call it instant recognition of words but it seems she needs something a little above those readers. It does sound like the AAR2 readers are the things she is working on that she needs to read in readers now. Maybe I will get them. They are rather expensive but I will eventually need them for ds since I am doing AAR with him and maybe since it is what she is working on it will challenge her and help her more.

You can print out and try the Blend Phonics storybooks:

http://blendphonics.org/?page_id=25

Also, here is how to teach all the sight words phonetically. I would personally just wait until they are introduced in your phonics program, but if you want to move on to books that include these words, it is best to teach them using phonics.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

My daughter is in a similar boat. I started her on AAR's prelevel and she hit a snag during the rhyming section. She's young so we just backed off a bit and have been slowly going through Nora Gaydos readers but even still- she was getting frustrated with sight words. So I created a fun 'Silly SightWord Flashcard" game with her that we do daily. It's quick, fun, and easy to reproduce at home. Here is a link for it.

Our method at this stage is to hit the library and teach the child how to select books they can read. We use a pretty simple method: Child pulls an easy reader off the shelf that looks interesting, opens it to a random page and tries to read the text. If the child struggles with more than three words on the page, they aren't quite ready for it. If they can read the page with less than three trouble words, it's just right and we bring it home.

My reluctant reader balked at this at first. Almost all books were too hard. But as he started to feel empowered he began pushing himself to read harder and harder words just so he could bring an interesting-looking book home.

I'm not familiar with the bob books but have you looked at progressive phonics (don't have the link but easy to google). I have them loaded onto a cheap ereader and ds5.5 reads them in bed. Last night he took a pencil and paper as well and copied out several pages. He also reads them to his little brother.

have you checked out www.readingbear.org

Yes that is what we are working through right now but I need some readers to go along with it.

You can print out and try the Blend Phonics storybooks:

Thank you these are perfect!

Our method at this stage is to hit the library and teach the child how to select books they can read. We use a pretty simple method: Child pulls an easy reader off the shelf that looks interesting, opens it to a random page and tries to read the text. If the child struggles with more than three words on the page, they aren't quite ready for it. If they can read the page with less than three trouble words, it's just right and we bring it home.

My reluctant reader balked at this at first. Almost all books were too hard. But as he started to feel empowered he began pushing himself to read harder and harder words just so he could bring an interesting-looking book home.

I should do this with her. She does balk when I have her read books that she thinks are interesting that are too easy of a reader for me to read to her. She is getting so close though. It is only a couple of words that hold her back and I can probably help her find some choices that she would do better with. She is getting so close after all the time we been working on it which is exciting.

I should do this with her. She does balk when I have her read books that she thinks are interesting that are too easy of a reader for me to read to her. She is getting so close though. It is only a couple of words that hold her back and I can probably help her find some choices that she would do better with. She is getting so close after all the time we been working on it which is exciting.

Are you trying to wait until she has learned EVERY word before reading a book? Why not show her how to sound out the last few words? It sounds like it would go a long way towards boosting her confidence and encouraging her love of reading. Or is she refusing to read books that include words she doesn't already know?

Can she read Go, Dog Go! or Green Eggs and Ham? What about the readers in Sonlight's 1st grade package (A Fly Went By, Little Bear, etc.)?