Menu

I have TONS of rolled oats to use - what should I make?

Protein Balls

Prep Time: 30 minutes (15 minutes to mix, 15 minutes to roll into balls)

Basic Ingredients:

1 c. peanut butter

1 c. honey

1 c. protein powder (or powdered milk)

Add-In Ingredients (4 cups total, create your own combination)

Oats

Sunflower seeds

Peanuts

Chocolate chips

Granola

Raisins

Dried cranberries

Oat bran

Wheat germ

Flax seed (ground or whole)

Directions:

1. Mix together the basic ingredients in a large bowl: peanut butter, honey, and protein powder.

2. Add 4 cups total of the add-in ingredients. (Peanuts, oatmeal, and chocolate chips are a delicious classic.)

3. The more dry ingredients you add, the stiffer the mixture gets. You want the protein balls to stick together when you roll them, but you don’t want them to be so sticky that they won’t hold shape. Add more oatmeal, wheat germ, or oat bran if your mixture is too goopy. Add more honey if your mixture is too dry.

4. Roll the mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter. This is the tedious part—so get the kids involved!

5. Refrigerate the balls (or freeze any extra). You can stack them in Tupperware and separate the layers with waxed paper.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I use oatmeal as a binder in meatloaf and meatballs. I put it in banana cake and muffins, you can also make oatmeal bread and oatmeal pancakes. Then there is always "Pam's Chocolate Crack." :-)

Quadruple your granola recipe, mix it all in the big, stainless steel bowl.

Throw the bowl in the oven on a lower temp, like perhaps 250 degrees f. Stir occasionally throughout the day. This way, you will not have to worry about it burning and you can make numerous, huge batches. You could do a batch everyday and then make many bags of granola. If you store them in the freezer, they'll keep forever.

Also, you could make your granola in the crockpot. Vent the lid to allow release of moisture, and stir a few times during the cooking. On low it takes most of the day. On high it takes about 3-4 hours, depending on the temperament of your crockpot. When stirring, fold the bottom contents to the top.

I also throw (notice how I "throw" oats around..LOL) a cup of granola into the sponge of my bread recipe. The oats retain moisture in the bread (I got this idea from Jean in Wisconsin).

Blessings,

Camy

(re: Quiver's above post)

I'm going to look in my breadbeckers cookbook for an oatmeal cookie recipe but..... what was your granola recipe? I remember having it and making it a couple times but I think that was before my computer crashed last year. Is your recipe like the one in breadbecker? I think they have one there too.....

thanks

We feed our dogs a mixture of dog food, beef broth, powdered vitamins, and cooked oatmeal, and they're thriving. A lot of natural-food dog recipe books recommend grains like brown rice and oatmeal mixed in with meat (they also recommend vegetables, but our woofies get a lot of vegetables from table scraps already).

Baked oatmeal!

1/2 cup applesauce (or veggie oil)

3/4 cup sweetener of your choice (sugar, Splenda, whatever)

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

3 cups regular oats

1/2 cup raisins

1-2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Beat together applesauce and sweetener of choice. Mix in eggs, milk, salt, baking powder, oatmeal. Beat well then stir in raisins. Pour into a lightly grease pie pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake in preheated oven until firm, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

[MY NOTES: I use maple syrup as my sweetener, so I cut it back some. I also double this and bake it in a 13 x 9 Pyrex--it doubles beautifully and makes a great breakfast as well as snacks and desserts for a few days! I usually add a grated or chopped apple or two (peeled) into it, and cut back some on the raisins. You could pretty much add any fruit you'd like into it, or change the spices up, add nutmeg, whatever. I also omit the topping part, and serve it hot with milk and a touch more maple syrup in a bowl. This recipe is always a big hit around here.]

We go through a couple kilograms per week of oats because I make muesli. Add ground nuts, coconut, sesame seeds, brown sugar, dried fruit. Serve it with milk, and bananas or whatever fruit you have sliced on top.

My used to make these and I carry on the tradition. You can add coconut too. My Mom used to put them in a pan and cut into bar shapes..faster than dropping by spoonfuls.

It doubles nicely, but be sure you are ready to scoop them when they are done..they can set up quickly.

When I have accidently bought too much oatmeal...I store it in the freezer. Keeps well.

NO BAKE CHOCOLATE OATMEAL COOKIES

1 stick butter

1/4 c. cocoa

1/2 c. milk

2 c. sugar

1 tbsp. vanilla

1/2 c. peanut butter

3 c. oats

Boil butter, cocoa, milk, sugar, vanilla and peanut butter for 1 minute. Add oats and mix well. Spoon out onto wax paper.

Baked oatmeal!

1/2 cup applesauce (or veggie oil)

3/4 cup sweetener of your choice (sugar, Splenda, whatever)

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

3 cups regular oats

1/2 cup raisins

1-2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Beat together applesauce and sweetener of choice. Mix in eggs, milk, salt, baking powder, oatmeal. Beat well then stir in raisins. Pour into a lightly grease pie pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake in preheated oven until firm, about 35 minutes. Serve hot.

[MY NOTES: I use maple syrup as my sweetener, so I cut it back some. I also double this and bake it in a 13 x 9 Pyrex--it doubles beautifully and makes a great breakfast as well as snacks and desserts for a few days! I usually add a grated or chopped apple or two (peeled) into it, and cut back some on the raisins. You could pretty much add any fruit you'd like into it, or change the spices up, add nutmeg, whatever. I also omit the topping part, and serve it hot with milk and a touch more maple syrup in a bowl. This recipe is always a big hit around here.]

Thanks for the recipe, I was just getting ready to ask for it. Sounds really good.

Thanks for the recipe, I was just getting ready to ask for it. Sounds really good.

Sure thing! We love that stuff. In late August/early September, Quaker puts lots of coupons in the circulars, then our grocery stores do big sales to go along with them. I usually get coupons on eBay or trade for them and stock up on oatmeal for the whole year. This is what I typically do with it :lol:

Pster, I also forgot this recipe too. We LOVE these:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/oatmealpancakes.htm

Oatmeal Pancakes (from the Hillbilly Housewife)

* 2 cups dry oatmeal

* 2 cups buttermilk

* 2 medium eggs

* 2 tablespoons oil

* 1/2 cup flour

* 2 tablespoons sugar

* 1 teaspoon baking powder

* 1 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

This is best started the night before, making it a good weekend breakfast. Get out a large bowl. In it combine the oatmeal and buttermilk. Stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. You could just let it sit for an hour or so, but the overnight soak is what give these pancakes their characteristic texture.

The next morning, take the bowl out of the refrigerator. Add the eggs, oil, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat well with a wire whisk. Fry the pancakes on a hot well oiled griddle or skillet. Use about 1/4 cup batter per pancake. When the top side is bubbly and puffed up, and the underside is brown, turn the pancake. Brown the second side and transfer to a plate. Continue until all of the batter is used up. This recipe makes enough to serve my family on a slow morning. You may cut the recipe in half if you like. As it's written, it serves 6 or 8 people pretty well. Add fresh fruit, margarine, Pancake Syrup and milk for a good breakfast.

[MY NOTES: This is one recipe for which I'll actually buy real buttermilk. I've tried using soured milk but they're just not as good. I have NOT tried these with my reconstituted buttermilk powder, though, so that might be a cheaper alternative. I also grate a couple of Granny Smith apples into these as well. They also make great snacks folded over with a PB&J or CC&J inside.]

We go through a couple kilograms per week of oats because I make muesli. Add ground nuts, coconut, sesame seeds, brown sugar, dried fruit. Serve it with milk, and bananas or whatever fruit you have sliced on top.

Yep, we eat rolled oats like cold cereal. We just put it in a bowl and add some dried fruit and nuts and honey and pour on the milk.

(re: Quiver's above post)

I'm going to look in my breadbeckers cookbook for an oatmeal cookie recipe but..... what was your granola recipe? I remember having it and making it a couple times but I think that was before my computer crashed last year. Is your recipe like the one in breadbecker? I think they have one there too.....

thanks

Was this it? I think this is from hillbillyhousewife.com

Brown Sugar Granola

1/2 cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup water

1/4 teaspoon salt

4 cups rolled oats

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup dried fruit (optional)

1/2 cup nuts or seeds (optional)

In a large 4 quart saucepan melt the butter and water together. Stir it well and let it simmer for a few minutes (2 or 3 minutes should be enough). Add the salt, oatmeal and cinnamon to the big pot. Remove the pot from the stove and stir up the granola. You want to coat the oats with the brown sugar and margarine, so keep stirring until everything is moistened. Put the granola onto a cookie sheet, the kind with sides. Bake it at 375° for 10 minutes. It should be a nice golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the granola to cool right there in the pan. When it is cool, break it up into small pieces and transfer it to clean coffee can, or other type of canister. Add the nuts and/or dried fruit when you put it into the canister.

Serve for breakfast in a bowl with milk or yogurt. Very tasty.

Enjoy!

Muddy Buddies - our best-liked no-bake cookie.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to pull you over on this one, ma'am. You've violated a board rule: when mentioning how yummy a recipe is, you are required to post it in full. Thanks for your cooperation. We'll let you off on probation this time. Just remember not to let it happen again.

;)

- for all the oat recipes! I used almost 1 of my buckets that very same day!

I made:

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oat Bars

Oat (flour) Bread

a double batch of granola

oats in an apple cinnamon roll-up

..and prob a couple others I forget!

I saved the recipes and will make more later - when we finish these up!

thanks!