Menu

Phonics curriculum suggestion for older child and/or adult?

savmom

Without revealing too much information, I know a couple people who desperately need phonics instruction. One is a 38yo adult and the other is an 11yo child. The adult learned sight words in PS and had zero phonics instruction. The child has experienced similiar teaching instruction and can only sound out 1st grade level words! There do not seem to be any learning disabilities just lack of proper instruction.

Is there anything that could be used to teach them both (they are unrelated)? Or maybe two different programs? It would have to be inexpensive because we are in the midst of a medical & financial crisis ourselves and I know the adult cannot spend much (otherwise I would buy a program for them to use). It may best if it were something that could be used on their own and offline (neither one has steady computer access). I would like to do what I can to help them learn to read without humiliating either one. Nothing says "I am a failure" louder than being rejected for a job because you filled out the application incorrectly :(

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I appreciate them all! :)

AlphaPhonics- inexpensive, easy to use (open and go), takes the student far, fast. I've used it for all 5 of my kids, plus a friends dd and a nephew. It works. If you want to be double sure, use it with ETC, but it's fine all by itself.

ITA. Or the VIctory Drill Book.

My DVDs. They include nonsense words to help stop guessing habits from sight words and are geared for older remedial students to work through on their own. They can try a few lessons online for free first, they should see progress after a few lessons.

You could also print out the text and burn a CD of Through the Phonics barrier. It is not as good for remediating the sight word problem but will teach the phonics well and is free online from Don Potter.

http://donpotter.net/education_pages/through_the_phonics_barrier.html

My DVDs. They include nonsense words to help stop guessing habits from sight words and are geared for older remedial students to work through on their own. They can try a few lessons online for free first, they should see progress after a few lessons.

You could also print out the text and burn a CD of Through the Phonics barrier. It is not as good for remediating the sight word problem but will teach the phonics well and is free online from Don Potter.

http://donpotter.net...cs_barrier.html

DVD's? ^_^ Would those be of your video lessons? Maybe I missed it but where would I find those? DVD's may be a better option, especially for the adult.

Thanks for your suggestions (and I LOVE your site by the way :001_wub: ).

We're using Classical Phonics from Memoria Press right now. This is for ds who is just turning 10. He does not have any learning disabilities. Somehow phonics just didn't stick with him before. Not sure if he wasn't ready or it was the programs. At any rate, we're really liking Classical Phonics. They also have First Start reading books which I don't have, so I don't know much about them.

I've heard Dancing Bears fast track is another good option.

DVD's? ^_^ Would those be of your video lessons? Maybe I missed it but where would I find those? DVD's may be a better option, especially for the adult.

Here is the direct link, there is also a link from the phonics lessons page, click on "purchase a DVD."

http://www.40l.org/help.html

Thanks for your suggestions (and I LOVE your site by the way :001_wub: ).

:blush: Thanks!

Reading Reflex

$11.62 on Amazon ($18 at a real bookstore)

It's inexpensive, simple, and very effective. Since it's intended for reading remediation, there are no cutesy, childish time fillers. All you need is a pair of scissors to cut some of the phonemic awareness activities out of the book.

phonics pathways is supposed to be good for any level. The pages are organized by phoneme (sp?) and you can spend 5 minutes or a week on a page, depending on how hard the concept is to master. It's very reasonably priced as well.

:iagree: And it's non-consumable. We have an older version. I don't think the newer versions are worth the extra $. Also our library had this so you could check there first.