Menu

Would a Wii help with indoor exercise for kids?

That was my justification. We haven't used it in over a year.

I should dust it off and squeeze in some activity. I think we put it away b/c our toddler (she's now almost 4) was always getting in the screen sensor area and messing up everyone's games and stuff. I couldnt' do my exercises either b/c she'd want to be right next to me which, again, messed up the sensor and didn't give me any room to move!

It saved us last winter when we lived in a high-rise apartment building in an icy city. I assigned 30 minutes of exercise as part of my boys' schoolwork, and it helped me exercise more too. We bought the wii specifically for that and I don't regret it at all.

I think it would be great for indoor exercise. We do not have one but they played the Wii resort at my mom's with their cousin for hours. Some of the games can be a workout depending on the kid...lol. They also get a good laugh watching mom trying to stay on the track while trying to play Mario...just saying.....we all had a good time watching them and trying our best to play.

Guest inoubliable

Lone dissenter here. We have one - haven't used it in over two years. Unless your kids have long attention spans or you can afford to have an ever-expanding library of games, the idea might not last longer than one winter. Older kids especially can "master" most of those games very quickly. After about two and half weeks with Just Dance, the kids figured out how they could simply waggle their wrists around while sitting on the couch and "win". It just didn't hold their attention for long. I do know lots of families with younger kids that still use it, though - think toddler age. It's more of a challenge for small children. On the plus side, if you do decide to go with one, you can find them for a pretty low price nowadays.

We like active life explorer. It gets us up and moving on yucky days. You have to run and stomp and jump on a mat, so no faking from the couch. And if little brother jumps on, he can run and stomp with us without really ruining the game. I haven't tried wii fit, but would like to.

As long as I don't rely on it more than once or twice a week, yes, we love our Wii. The kids all enjoy playing Just Dance (we used commonsensemedia.org to decide which one of those to get). We also play Outdoor Challenge which is a lot of fun. You can do it with one or two players, either taking turns or racing each other. There are also a few options where you need to work as a team, which is a lot of fun when friends are over.

On days that we just can't get outside I'll usually initiate it, otherwise they generally don't think about it. Sometimes I'll say "we need to sweat for 30 minutes before any other screentime happens!" other times I just say "you seem like you need to use your body, let's play ____." It usually goes over well, but again, I need to be the one to initiate.

I like the looks of Active Life Explorer, I may get that for xmas. Also, our library system actually has wii games, so that's another thing to look into!