Menu

Is there a program similar to SWR

BlessedMom

I've had a few issues with SWR myself. Have you looked at MegaWords? It is 4th and up. That is what I chose to use for my 6th grader last year and will continue to use this year for her.

However, I am still using SWR for my youngest. I dont know if this will help or even if the SWR purists will approve, but this is what I do. First we review the rules and phonograms of the day. Then we go over any missed words from previous day(s). Then we start the list of the day. Sometimes we do the entire list, sometimes the first five words. It all depends on how many words are missed. I do not do the enrichments. I will sometimes do the dictation, depending upon what we are doing with other subjects. I try and keep a list of the missed words so I can incorporate them into other things. For instance, dd had trouble remembering "could". I pointed it out in reading lessons or science or history. I made sure we used the word in our CW writing.

Does that help at all?? I dont think you need to do all the work that goes with SWR. It is not as hard as the Red Book makes it. It would certainly be wonderful if you did do everything every day. But, if you dont, you can still make the program work. That I think is the key - making the curriculum work for YOU and your dc, not the other way around.

Thank you Sarah & Holly for your responses & your recommendations.

Sarah, thank you for the links to your blog. I really enjoyed visiting your site.

I would love to know more about why SWR was not a good fit for you.

Holly, thank you for sharing how you use the program & for encouraging me to just make it work for my child. I think I am trying to decide if, making it work for my child, is really the best choice for us.

I appreciate your time & your opinions, thank you so much.

How old are your kids? Do they already know how to read? WRTR is the parent program and a bit more streamlined. SWR includes lots of enrichment activities and Sanseri's very detailed explanations of nuances, which is what makes it seem overwhelming. Once you get the big picture, you can carry the methodology (the rules and phonograms and method of analysis) over to ANY program. Spelling Plus has a dictation book that I really like (saw at the convention). I finally found that sentence dictation was the big winner with my dd, and so Spelling Plus with SWR as an analytical approach would be what I'd do next time around. Of course watch this new baby come out needing something totally different, hehe!

Thanks for the recommendation Love2read, I will sure look into Sound Beginnings.

Elizabeth, thank you for sharing your thoughts. My child is 5 & is just beginning to read. I will look into Spelling Plus. Does it use the same phonograms & spelling rules as SWR? It was my understanding that WRTR was more complicated than SWR. I am surprised to hear that is not the case. I guess I will have to look into it also. Thank you.

I am a current user of SWR and I.am.weary.of.it My ds9 has sailed through the program, is a great reader/speller. No worries.

Dd7 has struggled w/SWR all last year. She is an auditory learner. Both she and dd5 have picked up on TONS of info just by being in the same room w/ds since he has used SWR; Dd7 & dd5 "know" (can recite) many phonograms & spelling rules as a result.

Even though I am able to use SWR, I have only stuck with it b/c I have felt it to be "the best" as in "most thorough" - college level words at the end of the whole shabang have been the carrot dangling before me! But I'm tired of SWR - and dd7 is not enjoying the process of rdg at all, to say the least. Plus AAS definitely looks better for dd5 who is kinesthetic (so far she has only learned all basic phonograms and some multi - and forms cursive by use of sandpaper letters.

My pressing question: having used (unless you never actually used SWR) both programs, would you guess that a child could be confused w/the subtle differences in wording of spelling rules? And does AAS teach the phonograms using the same sounds: a = a/A/ah, etc??

Also, could you outline or give examples of some of these differences in AAS? I saw their sample lesson plan.... Is the Level 1 book a workbook or is that the scripted lesson plans? If not the workbook, does the dc simply write on paper? Another learning log approach?

Thanks for any help. I am seriously considering switching but, as you can see, don't want to mess up what we have gained or further frustrate my dc.

Thank you so much,

Cheryl

WELL, I JUST READ ANOTHER POST ABOUT AAS AND I SEE THAT THIS IS ACTUALLY NOT A PROGRAM TO TEACH READING. SO I GUESS I'M STUCK W/SWR FOR NOW AND I'LL JUST MAKE THE BEST OF IT, LOL. RATS.

Sorry, I guess I should have read more closely as i thought you were looking for a spelling alternative. I have struggled with teaching reading to my 7yo as well. We are doing MFWK right now and it has totally taken the pressure off. My ds knows all his phonograms but also could not move on from there - he also struggles with writing the letters. Much of MFW K is review ds, but it is very hands-on and he is getting to practice writing each letter. Blending is introduced in week 6 and they go on to CVC words. In MFW first grade, phonics is COMPLETED and then I will start AAS with them in second grade which will teach the phonograms in more detail and the higher level spelling of SWR. I also have a 5yo ds and they are going along together (5yo is catching on much more quickly). This program also includes all other subjects - if you are getting tired out I would encourage you to take a look, as it has been a lifesaver for me this year.

BlessedMom, can you explain more about your situation? Have you actually been using SWR, or were you considering it and looking for alternatives? I think we were giving you options for the SPELLING stage of SWR. Your first time through with those words, you're focusing on READING them. I made booklets with my dd's words which she could then read and illustrate. I put the words on flashcards (index cards) in a box with dividers by list. That way I could tell her to go pull her E words to read or whatever and she could. It was a terrific way to learn to read and produced great results for us!

WRTR is the parent program of SWR. The Spalding Foundation has been working to create lesson plans and whatnot for it, because it was so streamlined (assumed a teacher who would go to workshops to learn the method and create her own ways of fleshing it out). SWR is just the opposite, written by a homeschooler for homeschoolers, with all the enrichments and ideas you can imagine, tons of fleshing out. In essence though, they're a list of words with an analysis method (almost identical). Everything beyond that is ways to practice the words, how to get it to click with different learning styles, etc. I think what you're seeing with AAS is that some kids needed a different pace, parents prefer more hand-holding, and they like the kinesthetic aspect. But you can always bring that into any program (I used letter tiles with my dd at that age), so that isn't a deal breaker or maker to me personally.

These are all fine programs. I suggest you just take your time to look at them and see which will give you the things you need most, whether that's hand-holding or a variety of enrichments or whatever. And if you're already using SWR with your 5 yo and struggling, maybe we can toss out some more ideas... And there is of course the very active SWR yahoo group...

I used Alpha Phonics for teaching reading. It is also based on Orton Gillingham so the phonograms are similar... although it does have some sight words that the other programs don't. This is a simple, pick up and go program. No color and no tiles or flash cards needed (unless you want to add them). They show you a phonogram and one of its sounds. Then you practice sounding out and reading lots of words that use the new lesson. Then at some point they have sentences that use the new lesson and past lessons. All words in the sentence are readable by your dc. It builds slowly but goes all the way thru till you've covered all the phonics you need. period... all in one book! My ds was reading just find before we even finnished the book. I did add in Bob Books for fun and other readers as we went along. We even did some Explode the Code just for more color and fun.

Once reading was underway I added How to Teach Spelling with their workbooks How to Spell. It is also based on Orton Gillingham research (which is where WRTR, SWR, AAS and others are all based on). I like this spelling prgm because it includes dictation of words, phrases, and sentences for practice instead of tests.

hths

This will be my first year to hs ds 4th grade. He is a great speller and I went with SWR because he is very familiar with it from his previous school . However, it has just about been my undoing. I have spent my whole summer trying to get a handle on it. I want a program that is very challenging for him but not for me. Is AAS that program? Oh Elizabeth, you are such an advocate for SWR and everytime I am ready to throw in the towel , I see an a positive email from you regarding SWR. My son is passionate about spelling and wants to be in a spelling bee this year and I want to do what is best for him but I feel like I am spending so much time on this program. Can someone give me a really good review of AAS.

Thanks

Trisha

my boys to read using SWR. I highly recommend SWR to teach reading. Learn the program yourself and continue it "reading style" until your dc is confident enough to read beyond the "I Can Read It series". I use SWR to teach reading in K, then continue to listen to my boys read aloud through 2nd grade, so if they reach any challenging words, I'm there helping them through it using the SWR method. I don't care for SWR for spelling, it moves at a ridiculous pace and the children quickly get several years ahead to where they are spelling words that they don't use yet. The Spelling Plus Dictation sentences are so much more interesting and age appropriate. Spelling words in isolation is much easier, then being able to spell them correctly in dictation. The dictation sentences also spiral. I'm using SP with two of my boys, SWR learning to read style with my other. The Spelling Plus Dictation Book has dictation sentences containing spelling words broken down by grade level. You simply dictate one per day to the child. Anything my boys find challenging we analyze using the SWR methods.

You can see samples of the Spelling Plus Dictation resource book here:

http://www.susancanthony.com/books/db.html

Thanks, one l michele. SP seems to build on words (sea - season - reason, etc) this is how I learned to spell and I have been thinking that for my dd7, she might do a whole lot better with a program that builds.

I think I'll stick w/SWR for reading as you did and look at SP and AAS more closely for spelling in our future - and possibly some other O-G based programs.

Thanks!

Cheryl

After a discussion about AAS (All About Spelling) vs. SWR (Spell to Write and Read) in this thread and my perusing of AAS website, I emailed the author, Marie Rippel. Below is part of my email to her:

My question for you is: what components are missing from AAS in order for it to be used as a tool for teaching reading? As I look through your website, I see many similarities to SWR and am *not* seeing why this [AAS] is exclusively a spelling program?

And part of her response to me (as concerns my question):

To be a complete reading program, reading materials would need to be added. We are currently developing a reading program which includes reading selections, fluency exercises, vocabulary development, etc.

Many parents do use All About Spelling to teach reading. In fact, AAS is the method I use to teach children to read. Everything a student can spell with the OG approach, he can read.

So, I'm just passing this along. From the perspective of one who uses SWR and has only looked at AAS on the website....

Fwiw,

Cheryl