Menu

Settlers of Catan, info please

I am not a game player, but my DH and boys are. They LOVE this game and play it often. Among my game playing friends it is a standard one to own. From what I have seen, if you have a bunch of game players over, adults or or kids, you can always pull out Settlers of Catan and people will be happy. Or, at the very least, they will stop whining about the rain.

The only problems that I have seen, as an outsider, is that it isn't easy for two people to play. You really need a third person (at least) for the game to run smoothly. My boys love it so much that they try to play it together and it never goes well.

It's an expensive game - if you can get it for free, definitely take it!

You have an island, and try to build villages that then upgrade to cities. When you take over enough of the island, you win. To build, you need resources: wood, grain, brick, etc.. Rolling the dice decides who gets resources from their lands, and when it's your turn you can spend those on new roads or upgrading your villages. There's more to it, but that's the basic premise. It's a mix of luck and strategy, and good for a wide range of ages - my younger dd started playing when she was 5 or 6, and lots of adults enjoy it without the kids.

Yup--great game. We got into it when our second floor tenants moved in. Makes a great free date night for the four adults. We haven't bought it ourselves yet because my 8yo isn't really a game person and I assumed my 6yo was too young but from what other posters have said we may put it on our Christmas list. I do agree that it isn't a great two-person game.

Definitely get it-along with Carcassone, it's one of our favorites. If you have younger DC, they may need help with some of the buying cards and with reading the development cards until they get them memorized-when we started with Catan with DD, we all played cards up for awhile so we could more easily help her. Now, at almost 8, she plays cards down, quite aggressively, and regularly beats us :).

I am not a game player, but my DH and boys are. They LOVE this game and play it often. Among my game playing friends it is a standard one to own. From what I have seen, if you have a bunch of game players over, adults or or kids, you can always pull out Settlers of Catan and people will be happy. Or, at the very least, they will stop whining about the rain.

The only problems that I have seen, as an outsider, is that it isn't easy for two people to play. You really need a third person (at least) for the game to run smoothly. My boys love it so much that they try to play it together and it never goes well.

True -- it's not made for 2 players. You can do it, but a lot is lost in the game without the competition. There is a Settlers of Catan card game that is made for 2-4 players.

If you can get the game for free, grab it! It's an adventure game where you gather certain resources to build settlements. You can trade resources with other players (or not). The first person to get 10 points wins, and there are various way to earn points.