Menu

Has LinkedIn ever been helpful for you?

I have a small business and have been using LinkedIn for over a couple years, and I'm still wondering exactly how it's supposed to be helpful or what the point is.

I have almost 300 connections, a nice photo, and a pretty complete profile. Whenever I connect with someone, I send them an e-mail thanking them for the connection, introducing myself briefly, and pointing them to my business website.

Three years and 300 connections later, nothing has ever come of this. I've never gotten to know any of these people better, certainly never been contacted for work or any other reason ... it's like it's just been collecting names to click on, and nothing more.

I'm not complaining -- just feeling like I'm missing something.

So ... how do others use LinkedIn?? How is one "supposed" to use it? What, if anything, has LinkedIn "done for you"?

Thanks!

I don't have an answer, but will be watching this thread. I started working as a freelance translator a year ago, and recently at an industry conference several speakers recommended a list of marketing steps to take, including having a good profile on LinkedIn. I was also wondering what exactly it would accomplish.

Dh has had several headhunters and prospective employers find him this way... Too bad he isn't looking right now. We know others that have found useful connections through it.

How has this worked, though?? You mean just one day out of the blue he got an e-mail from a total stranger who said he got his name from LinkedIn and they'd like to hire him?

I guess I'd like to know how/what the people who've found useful connections are doing.

I use LinkedIn to keep in touch with colleagues from my pre-homeschooling corporate career days. I don't connect with anyone I don't know personally - everyone I'm connected to, I have either worked with or know fairly well in some other capacity. It's a great way to keep up with what's going on in my industry (I belong to several LinkedIn groups as well) and to touch base with people from time to time. I've had several people contact me for references and job leads, and I know these connections will be helpful for me when I'm ready to re-enter the workforce.

OP, it sounds like you're connecting with people you don't know that well, or just "know" from LinkedIn? Are there any LinkedIn groups for your industry or type of business? Those might be a good way to establish stronger connections with potential clients or referral partners, so that you get more of a benefit out of LinkedIn. Many groups have very active forums where people post questions related to that group's particular focus - answering questions in those forums is a great way to establish yourself as an expert and drive traffic back to your profile and/or website.

ETA: not sure why there's a "thumbs-down" graphic at the top of my post - I'm typing from my phone so I guess must have accidentally put that there... ;-)

Edited by Dandelion

While interviewing my dh he had a supervisor that had his linked in page up and was discussing the projects he had worked and the people he knew. We only do connects of people that we know. Dh is a contractor and is in a fairly small community of workers where lots of people know lots of other people. It does help him. He has also been contacted by recruiters as well.