Menu

a STEM high school

zaichiki

Well, the two things that jump out at me right away: 1) no specific course catalog on the website, so I don't even know what math and science are actually available, and 2) extremely limited arts at the curricular level and none at the extra-curricular level. For my math-loving child, that second would likely be a deal-breaker. Some of the website was incomplete, so there were other questions (what's the early college program?) that simply weren't addressed at all. Another note: the only available language is Spanish. That may be completely fine, but it's something to consider. There's no world history course available.

So... If I lived there and thought it might be the right fit for my child, the first step would be to call and arrange an on-campus visit. Chat with a counselor. What classes are available? What if my child comes in ahead of the sequence at any level? How much flexibility is there really? Look at the students. Do they look happy? Do they appear focused? Are there any recent graduates (or parents of same) who are willing to talk to prospective families? Can you arrange a shadow-day for your child?

As I said, for *my* kid, I'd rather make my own arrangements for math and science acceleration as necessary and give him the opportunity to experience more breadth in other areas while in high school. (I have another child too. She's only in 5th grade now, but this isn't the type of school I can ever imagine being right for her.) For a kid who *only* wanted to do math and science though? And just meet the minimal requirements otherwise so he or she could have more time to be completely immersed in math, science, and technology pursuits? It could be perfect.

This is an early college model high school. So that means it is common for the kids (including 9th graders) to do early enrollment classes/duel enrollment classes.

Curriculum- (all non-AP classes are taught as "honors" level classes)

Classes can be taken at the school or at The University of Hartford (high school is literally a few hundred feet from the campus gates). They can also take classes through University of Connecticut. Classes can also be taken virtually through "Virtual High School" in the media center during the school day.

Math: Alg 1, 2, Geometry, Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry, Calculus, Statistics and Probability, or math classes at the university

Science: Conceptual Physics, Biology (with a separate lab), Chemistry (with a separate lab), AP Bio, AP Chem, Anatomy and Physiology, Environmental Science

STEM: Digital Electronics, Biotechnical Engineering, Architecture, Programming

Engineering: Intro to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering

English: English and Composition, Eng/Comp II, AP Language & Comp, Amerian Studies/Intro to College Writing, Literature and Composition I and II, additional writing and reading/literature courses at the university

History: Civics and Geography, US History, International Studies

Language: Spanish (4 levels)

Art: Graphic Design, Art Foundations (drawing, painting, etc.)

They also require health, phys ed, career advisory, and a capstone project (senior thesis?).

I think I understand that any student can take any class offered through "virtual high school" during the school day in place of another course that is offered on-site.

Info here: http://thevhscollaborative.org/

This is *not* near my house, unfortunately, so I'm not so sure how seriously we're considering it. We would be able to send him *if* he was chosen in the lottery, though it would mean quite a bit of driving.

We did go to an open house. It's a small school. The students who were there giving tours and speaking about their educational experiences all very obviously LOVE the school and seem very proud and grateful. They spoke so eloquently with the adults, looked them all in the eyes, etc. and showed us their award-winning robots.

Ds was most impressed that they have an aerospace engineering club that meets for 20-30 minutes every morning before school. Other clubs that meet during this time include FIRST Robotics Team, Science Bowl, Fuel Cell, Literary Magazine, Book Club, and Digital Music. Extracurricular activities include dance/theater/music lessons and classes at the Hartt School of Music and some sports.

Well, the two things that jump out at me right away: 1) no specific course catalog on the website, so I don't even know what math and science are actually available, and 2) extremely limited arts at the curricular level and none at the extra-curricular level. For my math-loving child, that second would likely be a deal-breaker. Some of the website was incomplete, so there were other questions (what's the early college program?) that simply weren't addressed at all. Another note: the only available language is Spanish. That may be completely fine, but it's something to consider. There's no world history course available.

So... If I lived there and thought it might be the right fit for my child, the first step would be to call and arrange an on-campus visit. Chat with a counselor. What classes are available? What if my child comes in ahead of the sequence at any level? How much flexibility is there really? Look at the students. Do they look happy? Do they appear focused? Are there any recent graduates (or parents of same) who are willing to talk to prospective families? Can you arrange a shadow-day for your child?

As I said, for *my* kid, I'd rather make my own arrangements for math and science acceleration as necessary and give him the opportunity to experience more breadth in other areas while in high school. (I have another child too. She's only in 5th grade now, but this isn't the type of school I can ever imagine being right for her.) For a kid who *only* wanted to do math and science though? And just meet the minimal requirements otherwise so he or she could have more time to be completely immersed in math, science, and technology pursuits? It could be perfect.

This is an early college model high school. So that means it is common for the kids (including 9th graders) to do early enrollment classes/duel enrollment classes.

Curriculum- (all non-AP classes are taught as "honors" level classes)

Science: Conceptual Physics, Biology (with a separate lab), Chemistry (with a separate lab), AP Bio, AP Chem, Anatomy and Physiology, Environmental Science

History: Civics and Geography, US History, International Studies

Language: Spanish (4 levels)

I'm not overly impressed by the list of courses. I deleted most and left the 3 that would bother me the most. Those options seem severely limited to me (no AP physics seem unusual for a STEM school :confused:)

Can students dual enroll at the university w/o attending this school? I would prefer to keep my freedom and offer a broader range of options (Latin, world history/Western civ, and more science options (like astronomy in addition to the apparent lack in physics), not to mention that my ds would much rather spend more time on math and science than honors history/English/Spanish courses) and send them to the university for the courses that are beyond AP level.

I'm not overly impressed by the list of courses. I deleted most and left the 3 that would bother me the most. Those options seem severely limited to me (no AP physics seem unusual for a STEM school :confused:)

Can students dual enroll at the university w/o attending this school? I would prefer to keep my freedom and offer a broader range of options (Latin, world history/Western civ, and more science options (like astronomy in addition to the apparent lack in physics), not to mention that my ds would much rather spend more time on math and science than honors history/English/Spanish courses) and send them to the university for the courses that are beyond AP level.

I don't think homeschoolers can duel enroll in Connecticut, but I could be wrong. (I think most who need something like that end up doing early community college.)

I think I understand that most of the students (offered to all grades, but probably mostly done with the seniors) spend part of their day in classes on the university's campus. Many of them also take classes virtually, during the school day. The virtual classes they can choose from include AP Physics, Japanese, Latin, Psychology, Genetics, Nuclear Physics, Oceanography, and etc etc etc. The courses they can choose from are here: http://thevhscollaborative.org/catalog

I guess the most attractive thing for my family is that our ds would get a chance to meet other science-minded kids his age and take challenging classes *without* me having to drive all over God's green earth or spend thousands of dollars. The university classes and virtual high school classes are *free.* (We would have to pay for the books for the university classes.) He's also at that place, developmentally, where he wants to be a bit more independent from mom. He is a driven self-learner, but he still needs the resources and the interaction with others.

I have three other kids that I homeschool. I am finding that I simply cannot offer my ds the opportunities that a serious academic high school could and still meet the other kids' needs too. I don't want ds just sitting in front of a computer at the kitchen table all day to get his education while I homeschool his siblings. I want him to interact with other kids and adults on a daily basis, getting the academic stimulation from other kids his age AND seriously passionate STEM-leaning adults.

If he was an only, I could do it. I'd be driving *everywhere* all day long, but I could do it. But my 10 year old needs at least 2 hours one-on-one of academics with me each day (plus stuff she does on her own AND hours of music stuff each week). Meanwhile my 6 year old needs me for about an hour of one-on-one each day, and I have a 2 year old who wants me to read her books constantly. This year I am driving a LOT to get the kids' needs met by outside classes (in addition to homeschooling the basics) and the youngers are getting SICK of sitting in the car so much. I don't blame them.

I thought a high school experience could be good for ds *if* I could find the right one. I'm not really sure what "the right one" looks like, but there are very few choices near me that would be a good fit for him. This one looks like it *could* be in the running. I don't know...

Here is the link to the school profile.

http://api.ning.com/files/XNq2b-9lQU2m0QIWdwr7A9b41BbCsfMW5FOp7wPyfsFXi6esfUZ3TIzpGcuDNS4efDfN*SnuJTu0K2EEhp-50G5VrSA8w81g/SchoolProfile201213.pdf

The average SAT reading score is only 475, math is 508, and writing is 478. While the SAT scores are higher than the local high school they are below the state average. I would have thought math scores would have been higher for a STEM school. That being said, it does look like there are a lot if opportunities available at the school that might not be available at a traditional high school.

The average SAT reading score is only 475, math is 508, and writing is 478. While the SAT scores are higher than the local high school they are below the state average. I would have thought math scores would have been higher for a STEM school. That being said, it does look like there are a lot if opportunities available at the school that might not be available at a traditional high school.

Those SAT averages don't seem to fit with what I saw at the school or the names of the universities to which some of the seniors were already accepted. So now I'm curious. Where did you find the average SAT scores? Can you point me in that direction? I'd like to find out more.

Thanks!

Those SAT averages don't seem to fit with what I saw at the school or the names of the universities to which some of the seniors were already accepted. So now I'm curious. Where did you find the average SAT scores? Can you point me in that direction? I'd like to find out more.

Thanks!

I found the school profile on the website. I provided a link on the previous post.

I don't think homeschoolers can duel enroll in Connecticut, but I could be wrong. (I think most who need something like that end up doing early community college.)

I did a quick google and found this link to UConn's ECE program. It has contact info for homeschoolers. http://ece.uconn.edu/about/oecp_dualenrollmentFAQ.php

FWIW, we are moving across the country in just a few weeks. The university where we are moving flat out told me no when I initially made contact about our ds taking courses there. (they just don't let homeschoolers dual enroll in general.) I made a few more contacts and emailed his transcripts/test scores and the admissions officer told me that the admission's board reconsider and that he will be allowed to. So, make sure they have the full picture and that you have argued your case before you accept no as the answer. ;) But, it sounds like UConn addresses homeschoolers anyway. So that is a positive.

I think I understand that most of the students (offered to all grades, but probably mostly done with the seniors) spend part of their day in classes on the university's campus. Many of them also take classes virtually, during the school day. The virtual classes they can choose from include AP Physics, Japanese, Latin, Psychology, Genetics, Nuclear Physics, Oceanography, and etc etc etc.

If the courses are virtual, you don't need to enroll in a ps to experience virtual education. ;) Coursera, PAH, etc are all virtual options. I just read that some MOOC courses might even start to be given credit. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/education/moocs-to-be-evaluated-for-possible-college-credit.html?ref=tamarlewin

While massive open online courses, or MOOCs, are still in their early days,

the race has begun to integrate them into traditional colleges — both by making

them eligible for transfer credits, and by putting them to use in introductory

and remedial courses.

On Tuesday, the American Council on Education, the leading umbrella group for

higher education, and Coursera, a Silicon Valley MOOC provider, announced a

pilot project to determine whether some free online courses are similar enough

to traditional college courses that they should be eligible for credit.

The council’s credit evaluation process will begin early next year, using

faculty teams to begin to assess how much students who successfully complete

Coursera MOOCs have learned. Students who want to take the free classes for

credit would have to pay a fee to take an identity-verified, proctored exam.

While higher level courses are not likely to receive credit (select schools don't give credit even for APs anyway!), it does mean that universities are going to be more aware of the courses and that is a boon for homeschoolers who put them on their transcripts.

I guess the most attractive thing for my family is that our ds would get a chance to meet other science-minded kids his age and take challenging classes *without* me having to drive all over God's green earth or spend thousands of dollars. The university classes and virtual high school classes are *free.* (We would have to pay for the books for the university classes.) He's also at that place, developmentally, where he wants to be a bit more independent from mom. He is a driven self-learner, but he still needs the resources and the interaction with others.
opencourseware is free. But, truth is we spend thousands of dollars on our ds's education every yr. But, UConn's site discusses courses at reduced costs. Might be worth investigating.

I have three other kids that I homeschool. I am finding that I simply cannot offer my ds the opportunities that a serious academic high school could and still meet the other kids' needs too. I don't want ds just sitting in front of a computer at the kitchen table all day to get his education while I homeschool his siblings. I want him to interact with other kids and adults on a daily basis, getting the academic stimulation from other kids his age AND seriously passionate STEM-leaning adults.
:lol: Ummmmm, I think I can more than relate to that issue. ;) FWIW, the community at large is typically full of passionate professionals wanting to share their interests w/motivated teens. Our local astronomy club welcomed ds w/open arms even though he was the only non-adult.

I thought a high school experience could be good for ds *if* I could find the right one. I'm not really sure what "the right one" looks like, but there are very few choices near me that would be a good fit for him. This one looks like it *could* be in the running. I don't know...

It might be. I don't want you to take my comments personally or like I am trying to discourage you if this is a good fit for your ds. Just trying to pt out that the grass is not always greener and this option is not the only one. There are ways to meet the same needs and still homeschool if homeschooling is something you even want.

http://api.ning.com/files/XNq2b-9lQU2m0QIWdwr7A9b41BbCsfMW5FOp7wPyfsFXi6esfUZ3TIzpGcuDNS4efDfN*SnuJTu0K2EEhp-50G5VrSA8w81g/SchoolProfile201213.pdf

Yikesters. Those are low!

I have been thinking about this some more. Does this school have no admission criteria? :confused: For example, in order for our ds to take classes ECE, a minimum ACT of 28 or SAT of 1250 (only combined math and CR) is required by the school where we are moving and an 1180 (M & CR) was required for enrollment here. A combined 983 for graduation SATs is unbelievably low for a specialized STEM school. :confused: (considering most top STEM students score 700+ in math??)