Menu

Science magazines for science-oriented middle schoolers?

My son is 12 and he likes Scientific American. Over the past few years, the editors have simplified the reading level and made the topics more relevant to current events. My ds cannot read the more difficult articles, but does read about 1/2 of the magazine. It was a Christmas gift from his grandparents.

Ruth in NZ

You might also consider Make magazine.

Regards,

Kareni

What age level is this magazine geared toward? Is the target age group middle schoolers or would you say it would appeal to high school students/young adults?

Thanks!

(ETA: I watched the video on their newest issue and based on it, I think my tinkering 23 yos might really enjoy it. Also, right now they have buy 1 subscription get one free, so I'd get one for my 11th grader as well. Am I totally off?)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Odyssey is for kids 9-14. That's quite a range and my 9 year old already enjoys it very much now, so we'll see how it goes at 14. I do find it interesting too though...at 40. I am no scientist, however. :tongue_smilie:

I'm :bigear: for more ideas, because we'll need them in a few years.

This one looks good. Thanks, I think we'll try it.

I am somewhat concerned about some of the sexual content and ads in the more popular science magazines. While they may be fine for adults to filter out and/or ignore I'm just not as comfortable with that stuff for our younger kids. For example Scientific America had an article on 'Your Sexual Brain.' I know this varies by household. So I'm not saying it necessarily applies to other families. But we like to limit these things when possible, unless it's something we specifically plan to address. The thing I like about the Odyssey magazines is that they are ad free and that's a big plus for us. It would be nice if there were others which were ad free.

Edited by dereksurfs

I am somewhat concerned about some of the sexual content and ads in the more popular science magazines. While they may be fine for adults to filter out and/or ignore I'm just not as comfortable with that stuff for our younger kids. For example Scientific America had an article on 'Your Sexual Brain.' I know this varies by household. So I'm not saying it necessarily applies to other families. But we like to limit these things when possible, unless it's something we specifically plan to address. The thing I like about the Odyssey magazines is that they are ad free and that's a big plus for us. It would be nice if there were others which were ad free.

:iagree: An ENORMOUS plus here. I see you have younger kids. The same people who put out Odyssey for ages 9-14 put out Ask for 6-9 and Click for 3-6.