Menu

What is the most fabulous vegetarian meal recipe?

My picky kid and husband love these: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/orange-ginger-tofu-triangles/detail.aspx

If you decide to do this tofu receipe and need help with how to deal with tofu let me know and I'll give you an easy step-by-step. I will say that this recipe is barely enough for three of us so you might want to double the recipe.

Also I don't put the tofu into triangles. I just do cubes.

I would pair it with brown rice and broccoli.

For dessert these vegan cupcakes are awesome. My vegan friends love them. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-cupcakes/detail.aspx

Alley

Falafel, hands down. Here's a great recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/seans-falafel-and-cucumber-sauce/detail.aspx

We serve this to guests all the time and I've never had anyone think it was anything less than delicious. It is kind of labor intensive, so I buy a giant can of chickpeas at Costco (for like$2.75!), multiply the recipe by six, divide into three or four portions, and freeze the batter. When you're ready to make it, just thaw and fry (or bake).

Is cheesecake vegan? Would shrimp and grits be vegan? I am not even sure what it is. We eat paleo for the most part but do eat dairy sometimes. oops--edit this! I mean vegetarian. I don't even know the difference though. But he said vegetarian.

Edited by walkermamaof4

Is cheesecake vegan? Would shrimp and grits be vegan? I am not even sure what it is. We eat paleo for the most part but do eat dairy sometimes.

Oh wait. Are you looking for vegan recipes or vegetarian recipes?

Neither cheesecake nor shrimp are vegan. Cheesecake is lacto-ovo vegetarian. Shrimp is not vegetarian.

Falafel, hands down. Here's a great recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/seans-falafel-and-cucumber-sauce/detail.aspx

We serve this to guests all the time and I've never had anyone think it was anything less than delicious. It is kind of labor intensive, so I buy a giant can of chickpeas at Costco (for like$2.75!), multiply the recipe by six, divide into three or four portions, and freeze the batter. When you're ready to make it, just thaw and fry (or bake).

could i make this batter the day before? do you bake or fry yours? What do you serve with this? thanks.

Edited by walkermamaof4

I've never eaten this either. What would be a complete meal and dessert? thx

This is our main entree on Thanksgiving. We substitute vegan Daiya cheese and vegan cream cheese. It is awesome. I love to sprinkle extra fennel on top. Yum.

Mushroom, Cheese, and Vegetable Strudel

Serves 12

Whole-wheat phyllo dough lends a wholesome, nutty taste and golden color to the finished strudel. Veganizing this recipe is a snap too—simply substitute vegan cream cheese and vegan Cheddar cheese.

Filling

1 Tbs. olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped (1½ cups)

1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)

2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)

2 tsp. dried thyme

1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced (5 cups)

2 10-oz. bags baby spinach

¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

1 14-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained

8 oz. Neufchâtel cheese, softened

1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)

Strudel

¼ cup olive oil

1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 lb. whole-wheat phyllo dough, thawed

½ tsp. poppy, sesame, or fennel seeds, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 18- x 13-inch baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. To make Filling: Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, and thyme in oil 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook 10 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in spinach and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until spinach has wilted, stirring occasionally. Drain, and cool in bowl.

3. Purée tofu, Neufchâtel cheese, and Cheddar cheese in food processor until smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper.

4. To make Strudel: Heat oil, garlic, and thyme in small pot over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Cool.

5. Cover bottom of prepared baking pan with 2 phyllo sheets, allowing sheets to overlap each other and hang off sides. Brush with garlic oil. Place 2 more phyllo sheets on top, and brush with garlic oil. Repeat 4 times, until you have a 6-layer bottom crust.

6. Spread Filling in crust, leaving 3-inch edge all around. Brush edges with garlic oil. Fold sides of phyllo over filling. Cover filling with 2-sheet layer of phyllo (4 sheets total), overlapping sheets in center. Brush with garlic oil. Repeat layering 2 sheets at a time until you have 4 layers (16 sheets phyllo total), brushing every second sheet with garlic oil. Tuck under edges. Sprinkle top with seeds, if desired. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into slices.

My fave when I was vegetarian was mushroom tofu stroganoff. I actually still do something like it. I now use a variety of mushrooms for more flavor, a dry red wine - drier than you would normally drink because it gives that deep, rich flavor beef gives. on noodles. Totally yum.

dessert . .. um, what desserts are not vegetarian?

cant find a link - here's my version:

2 blocks tofu (extra firm, NOT silken), dried and cubed

oil and margarine

2 + lb mushrooms, sliced (mixed kinds)

diced small onion, 2 cloves garlic, bit of minced celery

¾ c broth

½ c very dry wine (or more)

soy sauce (2-4 tb? ¼ c?)

dried dill & basil & cayenne

2 c sour cream

1-2 tb corn starch (mixed well in to sour cream)

chopped fresh parsley

first, fry tofu in small amt of oil in large pan, until browning, and remove (I did this in two batches)

add some margarine, and sauté minced veggies w cayenne to taste until tender. add mushrooms, basil and dill (about 1 tsp each). Cook until softening, add wine and broth and big dash of soy sauce, boil down for a bit (5 min, maybe 10?). Return tofu and simmer another 5-10 minutes. Stir in some chopped parsley and return to simmer.

Gently add sour cream mixed w corn starch to thicken, and gently return to simmer until thickened. Taste for spice, esp black pepper Serve over noodles.

This is our main entree on Thanksgiving. We substitute vegan Daiya cheese and vegan cream cheese. It is awesome. I love to sprinkle extra fennel on top. Yum.

Mushroom, Cheese, and Vegetable Strudel

Serves 12

Whole-wheat phyllo dough lends a wholesome, nutty taste and golden color to the finished strudel. Veganizing this recipe is a snap too—simply substitute vegan cream cheese and vegan Cheddar cheese.

Filling

1 Tbs. olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped (1½ cups)

1 medium red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)

2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)

2 tsp. dried thyme

1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced (5 cups)

2 10-oz. bags baby spinach

¼ tsp. ground nutmeg

1 14-oz. pkg. firm tofu, drained

8 oz. Neufchâtel cheese, softened

1 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)

Strudel

¼ cup olive oil

1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)

1 tsp. dried thyme

1 lb. whole-wheat phyllo dough, thawed

½ tsp. poppy, sesame, or fennel seeds, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 18- x 13-inch baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. To make Filling: Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper, garlic, and thyme in oil 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, and cook 10 minutes, or until wilted. Stir in spinach and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until spinach has wilted, stirring occasionally. Drain, and cool in bowl.

3. Purée tofu, Neufchâtel cheese, and Cheddar cheese in food processor until smooth. Stir into mushroom mixture. Season with salt and pepper.

4. To make Strudel: Heat oil, garlic, and thyme in small pot over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Cool.

5. Cover bottom of prepared baking pan with 2 phyllo sheets, allowing sheets to overlap each other and hang off sides. Brush with garlic oil. Place 2 more phyllo sheets on top, and brush with garlic oil. Repeat 4 times, until you have a 6-layer bottom crust.

6. Spread Filling in crust, leaving 3-inch edge all around. Brush edges with garlic oil. Fold sides of phyllo over filling. Cover filling with 2-sheet layer of phyllo (4 sheets total), overlapping sheets in center. Brush with garlic oil. Repeat layering 2 sheets at a time until you have 4 layers (16 sheets phyllo total), brushing every second sheet with garlic oil. Tuck under edges. Sprinkle top with seeds, if desired. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting into slices.

Wow, this sounds impressive!! I must try it.

could i make this batter the day before? do you bake or fry yours? What do you serve with this? thanks.

Definitely can make it the day before. It's much easier with a food processor (the recipe says not to use a food processor to mash the chickpeas but I do it all the time). I pan fry mine in shallow oil. I have baked them a couple times, and they're still delicious, but the texture just isn't the same. Hint: I use a cookie baller to scoop my batter into the pan (the recipe says to make them bigger than that, but we find the smaller ones are easier to work with). Once I get the batter into the oil, I flatten the ball just a little bit.

I serve it in pitas with tomatoes, lettuce, and the tzatziki sauce in the recipe (less dill, though). I is kind of a full meal on its own in the same way tacos would be a full meal. Sometimes we serve it with some fresh fruit. You could serve a tabbouleh. I just don't really care for tabbouleh.

I've never eaten this either. What would be a complete meal and dessert? thx

For dessert, you could do some baklava. But honestly, I just do whatever dessert we feel like.

When I was growing up, my mom made falafel from a box mix and I hated it. Then when I went to NYC once, I had some falafel from a street cart and oh. my. gosh. Best food I had ever eaten...AND it was super cheap for NYC! After that, I went on a hunt for a good recipe. Nothing will ever compare to a NY falafel cart, but this recipe is pretty darn good. So much better than anything you can buy prepared at the store or frozen or whatever.

Is cheesecake vegan? Would shrimp and grits be vegan? I am not even sure what it is. We eat paleo for the most part but do eat dairy sometimes. oops--edit this! I mean vegetarian. I don't even know the difference though. But he said vegetarian.

Vegetarian means one does not eat the flesh of animals, but may eat some range of animal products that do not require killing. The specific comfort zone varies from person to person, but many who identify as vegetarian will eat, for example, eggs and dairy products. Others might eat one but not the other. Some avoid honey, while others are okay with it. Some are picky about the source of their sugar, since some manufacturers use bone char in refining.

Shrimp, being an animal, are not vegetarian.

Vegan means one avoids all animal products. No meat, fish, poultry, dairy, eggs, etc. A vegetarian can comfortably eat a vegan meal, but a vegan may not be okay with eating a vegetarian one.

Cheesecake would be vegetarian but not vegan.

Grits made with butter would be vegetarian but not vegan.

Veganomicon/Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World are great cookbook suggestions. I frequently feed onmivores desserts from the cupcake book and have never had anyone bat an eye. If we mention the vegan thing, people are typically surprised to find they've just eaten a vegan thing and often challenge me because they don't believe it.

You could also take a look at www.postpunkkitchen.com, which is run by one of the women from the Veganomicon team. She has some lovely recipes on the site.

Falafel is a popular vegetarian food. When we make it here, I serve it with curry-flavored couscous, diced celery and onion, sometimes shredded lettuce, carrot sticks, hummus and pita breads. My family likes to assemble sandwiches by stuffing the falafel and hummus, along with some combination of the celery, onion and lettuce, in the pita and eat the couscous on the side.

Another option would be to do a cold couscous salad with some whole chickpeas as the side dish. I went on a kick for that over the summer.

If you shop at Costco, I have a few suggestions that are vegetarian:

1. Epicurean Specialty's Gourmet Bean Blend (beans, peas, & lentils) has a delicious vegetarian chili on the side label, my family asks for seconds & leftovers.

2. vegetarian burgers & buns found in the freezer section

3. breakfast for dinner: quiche with fruit salad & muffins. or make an egg casserole layered with peppers & cheese.

4. many Indian foods they have started carrying are vegetarian.

5. eggplant parmesan

Please let us know what you serve.

homeschool mom